NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Those are all solid bets.

I liked the Celtics at +1400 as well.

Pelicans have the draft assets to make a few "stunning moves" between now and the deadline to move them up the ladder quickly. Not bad at 65-1 either.

And although very unlikely, maybe the Bucks are forced to move off Giannis, and the Mavs trade for him. Makes the Mavs a worthy bet.

I have the Pelicans at +6000 on my site, but Mavs at +2500.

Yup. Gotta shop around for best odds.

Wait, did I hear that Toronto will be playing home games in Tampa? Was this discussed here? Why in Tampa? They can’t work out a deal with the Sabres and play in that arena?

Or is this about helping their players out by not subjecting them to living in Buffalo in the winter and getting them into a more pleasant place to temporarily live?

The logistics of a shared arena during covid could be a nightmare. Maybe that area being orangy red had something to do with it too. Tho I’m not sure how the Tampa area is doing with covid.

The logistics of a shared arena during covid could be a nightmare. Maybe that area being orangy red had something to do with it too. Tho I’m not sure how the Tampa area is doing with covid.

Seems like Florida is doing OK with Covid right now. Or at least not any worse than the rest of the country.

However, it seems like Desantis is doing all he can to make one more strong push at another #1 ranking before it is killed off.

The level of incompetence with the Bucks is incredible. Sounds like they accidentally used the MLE on Connaughton when they could have signed him with early bird rights instead. Could still theoretically fix it since it isn’t official yet but they made the same mistake with the Brogdon deal last year where they accidentally gave up a massive trade exception.

Yeah because If I'm a young star NBA player Sacramento and Salt Lake City, Utah are def on the top of my list.

If I was advising these guys I would advise them to steer their way to their preferred destination in the NBA draft. Discussed this before Zion last year generational talent to come into the League had The Knicks picking 3rd and the Lakers picking 4th. He could have steered his way to either. Bypass New Orleans and Memphis. JA could have done the same thing. Told Memphis don't draft me. Any Top Lawyer coming out of Harvard Law can pick their own firm for example.
There is no lawyer draft lol. This is has been the process in place in sports for years now. You don't have to be in a big market to be marketable. Maybe if the Knicks weren't the worst franchise in sports for 20 years now players would want to go there.

There is no lawyer draft lol. This is has been the process in place in sports for years now. You don't have to be in a big market to be marketable. Maybe if the Knicks weren't the worst franchise in sports for 20 years now players would want to go there.

Spurs, Pistons, Cavs, and Warriors have combined for like half the championships in the 2000’s. Knicks, Nets, Clippers, and Bulls...nothing.

You might be right on that. Not sure on the rule.

98. Can cash be included as part of a trade package?

Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash a team can pay or receive per season is limited to the "Maximum Annual Cash Limit," which is $5.1 million in 2017-18, with the amount in each subsequent season determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the Maximum Annual Cash Limit will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

SeasonAmount
2017-18$5.1 million
2018-19$5.243 million
2019-20$5.617 million
2020-21$5.617 million
There are two separate limits, one for the cash a team pays as part of trades each season, and the other for the cash a team receives as part of trades each season. For example, in 2017-18 a team may pay up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season, and it may receive up to an aggregate $5.1 million in all trades it makes during the season.

The cash applies to the current season's limit even if it changes hands in a future season. For example, suppose a team trades a draft pick that is top-20 protected this season, top-10 protected next season, and converts to $1 million cash if a pick is not conveyed by next season. $1 million is applied to the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit for the current season.

Cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception. For example, a taxpaying team cannot add $3 million cash to a trade of their $5 million player in order to acquire a $10 million player.

In a sign-and-trade arrangement, if the contract contains a signing bonus, then any amount of this bonus paid by the signing team counts toward the team's Maximum Annual Cash Limit (see question number 92).

So like, I dunno? I think you can include cash and picks.

The level of incompetence with the Bucks is incredible. Sounds like they accidentally used the MLE on Connaughton when they could have signed him with early bird rights instead. Could still theoretically fix it since it isn’t official yet but they made the same mistake with the Brogdon deal last year where they accidentally gave up a massive trade exception.

Man I didn't remember the Brogdon thing. That's some pretty bad work.
I think with Connaughton they should be fine, like you said nothing is official so probably they can use the bird rights. But I would've thought they could've gotten a trade exception for Brogdon, so...

Man, this Adams deal for New Orleans is really good.

Ingram/Zion/Adams is a nasty frontcourt.

Their guard depth is phenomenal - Bledsoe/Lonzo/Hart/Reddick/Hill.

They've got a few young guys that are interesting.

Feels like they could use a little more depth at forward, but that's a nice team.
They have Hayes and Alexander-Walker who were mid 1st rounders last year too so they'll be able to sell some of the vets for more futures or try to upgrade between all of these pieces and there batch of extra 1sts.

How bout choosing where you begin you career where u want. Not because of ping pong balls. U have to be a generational talent to pull it off though. Zion Ja AD Lebron Emoni Bates.

How bout choosing where you begin you career where u want. Not because of ping pong balls. U have to be a generational talent to pull it off though. Zion Ja AD Lebron Emoni Bates.
Go into another profession then. You go where you are drafted if you don't like it that's why Free Agency exists. Zion and Morant didnt throw hissy fit

They have Hayes and Alexander-Walker who were mid 1st rounders last year too so they'll be able to sell some of the vets for more futures or try to upgrade between all of these pieces and there batch of extra 1sts.
Yeah, I think Hayes will prove to be a keeper for them as their backup big. He contributed pretty decently as a rookie and he's super young. He'll keep growing and getting better.

I've somewhat mastered the NFL cap and contracts but the NBA cba is a whole 'nother level.

That's interesting you say that, for whatever reason, I always struggle with all of the NFL salary business, all thhe various bonuses and how they count against the cap, etc.

Which isn't to say I totally understand the NBA cap, don't get me wrong

I don’t disagree. Hopeful that Trez is motivated. He’s basically playing for a big contract again.

Ding ding ding. He wasn’t coming back. That was a mutual decision. And his value plummeted after his playoff performance, so this is an opportunity to prove himself.

That's interesting you say that, for whatever reason, I always struggle with all of the NFL salary business, all thhe various bonuses and how they count against the cap, etc.

Which isn't to say I totally understand the NBA cap, don't get me wrong
Lots and lots of time spent on the Bills Spotrac site. The non guaranteed contracts are certainly more difficult to decipher but all of the various exceptions and different bird rights and then getting hard capped at the apron and all that other crap is a lot to digest in the NBA.

I just came across a great trade idea that would cost Danny Ainge in his nickel and diming efforts assuming the Knicks and FVV have real mutual interest.

Knicks - Fred Van Vleet + Minor Picks/Prospects (From Raptors)
Raptors - Oladipo + First Rounder or Prospect (From Pacers)
Pacers - Gordon Hayward

Add the necessary filler to get it done. Two division rivals pull a fast one on the Celtics, and the Pacers are glad to oblige as well as they feel they are being more than fair in their offers to Ainge.

This all assumes the Knicks and FVV want each other. Assuming they want FVV, they still get their man and by using the leverage of other over cap teams wanting players, can get FVV and a few assets out of it.. This is better for them than just signing FVV outright.

Last edited:
And as I complete that above post.
FVV signs 4/85 with the Raptors.
About what was expected.
Fair for the market, and not crippling in any way.
Glad to keep him but of course worried about his limitations at that contract size.

Stay away for good. Give us one troll free thread. You don’t know no NBA anyway. Cmon

I know more than U. Just because I wish to see players and teams especially my team operate in a different way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom