NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Yeah because If I'm a young star NBA player Sacramento and Salt Lake City, Utah are def on the top of my list.

If I was advising these guys I would advise them to steer their way to their preferred destination in the NBA draft. Discussed this before Zion last year generational talent to come into the League had The Knicks picking 3rd and the Lakers picking 4th. He could have steered his way to either. Bypass New Orleans and Memphis. JA could have done the same thing. Told Memphis don't draft me. Any Top Lawyer coming out of Harvard Law can pick their own firm for example.
There’s a reason why you’re not advising these guys.

Wow. You need to go on vacation to NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago. Put yourself in the shoes of a newly millionaire NBA player just coming out. You can go 30 and 52 in Sacramento and Cleveland also but you wanna know least after another 20 point loss at home least I can go out in NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago. And if we become a winner that's icing on the cake.
I don't need to go on vacation there, I've lived in NY, moved to Cali, then to FL then to TX and now to DC and have also seen most of the world at this point. Including Chicago in the destination cities makes zero sense. Maybe you should vacation there sometime in the next 4 months. Crap organization in a city with awful weather. They have a large population and that's about it. Sure Sacramento and Cleveland would be rough and you mentiomed Nola, Utah and Memphis as bad destinations but if thats the case then so are Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana, Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, Charlotte, OKC so that's half the league. Gonna fail at being an agent if half the league is undesirable for clients.

How do you figure? They wanted him back all along.
Seems like there is such a thin line between MLE guys and $15m/year guys nowadays.

Really interested if this does become a Grant & Plumlee sign and trade for Blake. Believe the money now works or is extremely close. Give Blake & Porter Jr all the Grant/Millsap/Plumlee mins from last year and watch him and Jokic perform magic.

Wow. You need to go on vacation to NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago. Put yourself in the shoes of a newly millionaire NBA player just coming out. You can go 30 and 52 in Sacramento and Cleveland also but you wanna know least after another 20 point loss at home least I can go out in NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago. And if we become a winner that's icing on the cake.

I should know better than to respond but in Sacramento I can drive an hour and be at the best wineries in the country in Napa/Sonoma, I can drive 90 minutes and be at Tahoe, 90 minutes and go to the best dining in the country in San Francisco. Fox spent some weekends in Tahoe this past summer and can snag himself a nice summer spot a short drive from home for next summer with that contract.

I’m going to assume that $200 million dollars is more money than 99.999999999999999999999999999999% percent of humans will be making in the next 5 years. There are only like 5 dudes in the world who should be turning that down (Lebron, Steph, KD, Giannis etc) everyone else needs to sign on the dotted line. If it doesn’t work out, then force your way out later

also why is it dumb to take this money? Are you suggesting that if he opts out and forces his way to let’s say the Knicks, he can somehow make more money long term in endorsements? What if he tears his Achilles ala Klay Thompson? Is anyone giving him the Max next year under those circumstances? I don’t think Fox would get that money

wait, i thought the OP was sarcasm.

I don't know much about this guy..is this a good sign for the Rockets?

Yeah. Probably the most interesting free agent.

this is pretty impressive..although highlight reels tend to make anyone look good..still, unlike the highschool ones, this is actually against real NBA comp.

By the way... OKC traded Adams for future first and second rounders. I'd hate to be the PR person that has to update the transaction section in the media guide. Here is an update with OKC's first round picks and preview of the 2023 Draft Lottery...
20201121_055954.jpg

By the way... OKC traded Adams for future first and second rounders. I'd hate to be the PR person that has to update the transaction section in the media guide. Here is an update with OKC's first round picks and preview of the 2023 Draft Lottery...
View attachment 191612

Explain something to me...at what point does having 1000 draft picks have diminishing returns? this dude seems to be a guy who feels that the goal is years of control and draft picks, not actually winning. IMO dude is getting too much praise for "accumulating assets." Asset accumulation is meaningless when it becomes its own end instead of a means to an end.

Interesting observation that I noted on the Raptors board (or at least as of 1:00)

None of the Mavericks, Raptors or Heat have yet to do any moves that would compromise their cap flexibility for 2021. (Dragic / Leonard were team options). I also believe the Mavs may have cleared some salary from 2021 with the Delon Wright deal, but could be wrong on that.

Is the market still uncertain as to what will happen with Giannis in Milwaukee?

Interesting observation that I noted on the Raptors board (or at least as of 1:00)

None of the Mavericks, Raptors or Heat have yet to do any moves that would compromise their cap flexibility for 2021. (Dragic / Leonard were team options). I also believe the Mavs may have cleared some salary from 2021 with the Delon Wright deal, but could be wrong on that.

Is the market still uncertain as to what will happen with Giannis in Milwaukee?

If giannis were to go to Dallas with Luka and Porzingis? Good god

Explain something to me...at what point does having 1000 draft picks have diminishing returns? this dude seems to be a guy who feels that the goal is years of control and draft picks, not actually winning. IMO dude is getting too much praise for "accumulating assets." Asset accumulation is meaningless when it becomes its own end instead of a means to an end.
He's completing the teardown now that everyone assumed was going to happen last year to start over and build around SGA. Now there will be a couple years at the bottom to accumulate young talent and then head back upward. Will have a mix of young talent, tons of cap space and tons of picks to deal. Would be my preferred way to build as well if I was in a market like OKC.

This is clearly a means to an end. There are 3 ways to build a team, and Presti is setting himeself up to use them all:
1) The Draft (especially being bottom 5)
2) Cap Space to Sign Players or as an Asset Accumulator by taking on bad contracts
3) Through Trades -- and this is a big part of his ultimate plan

Presti is also not going about this like Sam Hinkle. 2 Big Differences between what they are doing:
1) Presti was able to get much more of a head start in asset accumulation because of the Westbrook / George deals last summer. The Sixers did not have such valuable talent.
2) Hinkle's main plan was to try to get stars in the draft as soon as possible. When he traded Jrue Holiday it was on draft night for Nerlens Noel. When he traded MCW when he was a "hot" asset it was for a pick the next year.

Hinkle's main weapon to building was sucking to get high picks that would play for the Sixers. Presti already has the big head start in accumulated assets, and he has yet to even start the process of tanking to get some top draftees.

The result of these above two differences is huge. Presti will have much more trade capital to consolidate assets to bring top players together and a much longer window to do it with picks in 2023 to 2025. It gives him a much longer window to effectively use those picks as trade capital. Presti has shown that he will go for it, and consolidate assets, when he did the trades for George / Carmelo to join Russell. It did not work out, but he has been able to unwind for it pretty good.

So what he is doing.
1) Yes they are tanking to a degree, to get high picks in what apparently will be some strong drafts.
2) Oklahoma will not likely get stars to come to them via FA. However, he will have no problem making trades to bring 2 of them together in future years, and perhaps one of them when they are still not at max level.
3) When he gets his 1 or 2 stars in the draft, he can surround them with real talent via trade not let them flounder.

If you get an elite draft talent, add 2 stars via trade you might be attractive for players to remain for a while --and you might still have some cap space to bring in another all star who wants to win.

The above is an ideal scenario so it may not go exactly as planned, but they have the flexibility to grow.. Oklahoma City has to really accumulate assets to bring in talent outside of the draft. Presti realizes this. Presti has also shown in the past that he is not as pragmatic as say someone like Ainge -- Ainge has nickel and dimed trades in the past which has hurt some deals for the Celtics. When Presti decides to go for it he won't need to worry whether I should hassle over 2 picks instead of 3 or 4. Giving up 3 or 4 will not be a problem.

It could just end up creating a team that caps out in the 50-55 win area once again... or it could create a really good team.

Last edited:
I should know better than to respond but in Sacramento I can drive an hour and be at the best wineries in the country in Napa/Sonoma, I can drive 90 minutes and be at Tahoe, 90 minutes and go to the best dining in the country in San Francisco. Fox spent some weekends in Tahoe this past summer and can snag himself a nice summer spot a short drive from home for next summer with that contract.

CR doesn’t know anything about big cities beyond who their sports talk radio guys are.

Yeah. Probably the most interesting free agent.

Seems like a good move for the Rockets. I like it for them.
At the same I am always leery of the guy who puts up big numbers for a bad team and somebody needs to get shots -- and those stats are sometimes put up against opponents who aren't even close to playing 100% because the team (in this case) Detroit was so bad.

It’s seemingly years of job security. They’ll just keep waiting like “he’s got all those picks! Let’s wait for the master plan to pay off!” Lol.

It’s seemingly years of job security. They’ll just keep waiting like “he’s got all those picks! Let’s wait for the master plan to pay off!” Lol.
Presti has shown that he will consolidate assets in the past. I trust he will do it again, and with no fear.

As I said above this is just not a Hinkle plan where Hinkle's main plan was to stink and draft 2 or 3 stars. Presti is trying that as well for a few years, but he has the additional weapon of 18 first round picks up to 2025 (I believe that is the current number give or take a few) to build his team via trades.

It will be interesting to see what Presti does with SGA. Is SGA good enough to make a 22 win team a 29 win team which can cost you a few spots in the draft? I suspect he will keep him, but wouldn't be stunned if he moved him for 2 or 3 more first round picks.

All that being said, I agree it is a great way for job security.

Last edited:
Presti has shown that he will consolidate assets in the past. I trust he will do it again, and with no fear.

As I said above this is just not a Hinkle plan where Hinkle's main plan was to stink and draft 2 or 3 stars. Presti is trying that as well for a few years, but he has the additional weapon of 18 first round picks up to 2025 (I believe that is the current number) to build his team via trades.

There is def something to the cynical view of having all these future assets in some sense gives you the job security because you need time for your vision to pay off; but in the case of Presti, he has been in OKC as the GM since 2007. (Wow, he was GM when he was 30 years old!) He drafted an MVP 3 consecutive years. I think he probably has as much job security as any GM around?

For sure, at some point, you need to consolidate the assets and turn them into a star. But really, this whole "teardown" for lack of a better term, has been going on really just since this off-season. So he has some time.

I am just happy to report free agency is nearly 15 hours old and the Knicks haven't done anything approaching stupid yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom