NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Did the NBA officially go to the 7/10 - 8/9 play in game format for the 2021 playoffs?

Just trying to determine if I will place the Clippers 9th or 11th in my current Western Conference power rankings.

So what is Melo getting? What is the veterans minimum? Think he found no other suitors or was just happy with the Blazers?

Great job by Gordie and his agent to fleece yet another NBA team.
While I agree that his agent got him a far better deal than expected, it's pretty hilarious that to make its case the article is saddling Hayward with the Hornets decision to stretch Batum's horrendous contract.

Also, discounting win-loss record in favor of point differential is a weird case to make. Teams get to the playoffs and have draft position determined based on record, not point differential.

Hayward annoys me but I think as much as it was a dumb overpay, it's going to work out for the Hornets, especially relative to other contracts they've given to lesser players.

While I agree that his agent got him a far better deal than expected, it's pretty hilarious that to make its case the article is saddling Hayward with the Hornets decision to stretch Batum's horrendous contract.

Also, discounting win-loss record in favor of point differential is a weird case to make. Teams get to the playoffs and have draft position determined based on record, not point differential.

Hayward annoys me but I think as much as it was a dumb overpay, it's going to work out for the Hornets, especially relative to other contracts they've given to lesser players.
Hayward is not worth 39 million dollars a year including the Batum stretch unless he is an All-NBA player.

It’s a stupid contract for a team like Charlotte. Indiana or a contender okay.
Not Charlotte.
Hayward is a good playmaker on offense but defense regressed in Boston and the guy has been injured and missed atleast 15 games the last 2 years after his season ending injury.

Michael Jordan is drunk giving him that contract. In essence Hayward will make more money on the court in contract over Kevin Durant and every player except LeBron James and Chris Paul until Giannis gets a super max and his next contract.

B821608A-CD47-47BA-85D6-51F5FBB4D737.jpeg

Hayward is not worth 39 million dollars a year including the Batum stretch unless he is an All-NBA player.

Not Charlotte.
Hayward is a good playmaker on offense but defense regressed in Boston and the guy has been injured and missed atleast 15 games the last 2 years after his season ending injury.

Michael Jordan is drunk giving him that contract. In essence Hayward will make more money on the court in contract over Kevin Durant and every player except LeBron James and Chris Paul until Giannis gets a super max and his next contract.

Might be time for Mitch Kupchak to hang it up

Not Charlotte.

Pegging the Batum stretch cost to Hayward is a bogus way of looking at the deal though. You want to argue that Charlotte has mismanaged their finances and cap, that's fine - but that can't be pinned on Hayward exclusively.

The funny thing is, once Zeller goes off the books after next season, the Hornets really only have Hayward and Rozier eating any meaningful cap, so their long-term financial outlook is really healthy even with the Hayward overpay.

Again, I think it's a stupid amount to give him. But the chances that it works out for them are actually pretty decent. The bottom rung of EFC playoff teams is always weak. More of them should take swings to compete like this.

Pegging the Batum stretch cost to Hayward is a bogus way of looking at the deal though. You want to argue that Charlotte has mismanaged their finances and cap, that's fine - but that can't be pinned on Hayward exclusively.

The funny thing is, once Zeller goes off the books after next season, the Hornets really only have Hayward and Rozier eating any meaningful cap, so their long-term financial outlook is really healthy even with the Hayward overpay.

Again, I think it's a stupid amount to give him. But the chances that it works out for them are actually pretty decent. The bottom rung of EFC playoff teams is always weak. More of them should take swings to compete like this.
They have to stretch Batum to sign Hayward so it’s part of the cost to sign Hayward.

They can’t get the Knicks to take Batum so stretching him makes his expiring contract more problematic.

They have to stretch Batum to sign Hayward so it’s part of the cost to sign Hayward.

They can’t get the Knicks to take Batum so stretching him makes his expiring contract more problematic.
Yes, but they have to stretch Batum because of all of the other contracts on the roster that limit the cap space.

Today has been a much better day for the Bucks than the rest of the offseason was.

Picked up Bryn Forbes to add more shooting to the bench (suddenly our bench is among the best in the league in terms of shooting ability?) and Torrey Craig to add much needed wing defense.

Sure but in projecting forward, point differential is (usually) a better predictor of team quality than record the year before. So they are probably starting from a lower base than 9th in the east would have you think. Especially since really, they were 10th in the east. They moved to 9th after Washington ate it in the seeding games.

I really would like to know how much the Knicks and Hornets engaged on a Batum deal.

Stay away for good. Give us one troll free thread. You don’t know no NBA anyway. Cmon

BTW, Look at the story in the NY Post Today. Once the Knicks few top free agent options Van Fleet and Heyward went off the board they resorted to taking fliers on one year fringe free agents with the eyes at Tanking the upcoming year for Cade Cunningham. I'm on board.

Sure but in projecting forward, point differential is (usually) a better predictor of team quality than record the year before. So they are probably starting from a lower base than 9th in the east would have you think.
One can reasonably expect that Hayward would positively impact that point differential.

Do you know of anything that actually does look at point differential from one year and how accurately it predicts record the following year? I can't point to anything specific, but the reliability of record prediction models are generally pretty bad because they regress too much to the mean and put everyone pretty close to .500, when we know that actual record distribution of wins and losses looks a lot lumpier than that.

BTW, Look at the story in the NY Post Today. Once the Knicks few top free agent options Van Fleet and Heyward went off the board they resorted to taking fliers on one year fringe free agents with the eyes at Tanking the upcoming year for Cade Cunningham. I'm on board.

Don’t @ me.

Today has been a much better day for the Bucks than the rest of the offseason was.

Picked up Bryn Forbes to add more shooting to the bench (suddenly our bench is among the best in the league in terms of shooting ability?) and Torrey Craig to add much needed wing defense.
Ooh, Craig is a really nice pickup.

U stand corrected. I'm all for the process like the 76ers did.

I have no idea what you’re even talking about. This isn’t the Giants thread. I have never even bothered to address any of your NBA posts because I have zero interest in even humoring you here.

Now, seriously...don’t talk to me, Trumper.

Great news for fans of the Utah Jazz and small market teams. Donovan Mitchell is a role model for everything good and everything that needs to be at the forefront of public consciousness. Look for Mitchell to be a future voice of the people whether it is in politics or head of the NBAPA. He is someone who gets it. My favorite is when he goes on twitter and asks people where the cookouts are or the pool parties and then shows up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom