NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

wow memphis...two games now that Golden state wanted no part of winning and won both. these fools were holding the ball with 3:00 minutes left with a 3 pt lead like they had a 15 point lead...got crap shots each time as clock rolled down. air out of the ball in the NBA with a 3 point lead and 3 minutes left? really? also, brooks was HORRIFIC this game.

The Klay thing is getting a little awkward. I know he still has good moments and he may not truly be 100% back til next year, but he’s not remotely close to what he was on the defensive side of the ball and only partially back offensively.

Coming off the double injury and missing 2 years can't be easy. He will also be 33 years old next year so it was never going to be a cake walk and I think it's pretty fair to say his best days are behind him but there is a pretty large range between what Klay was and what he is now, maybe he can bridge the gap a bit more next season.

Some guy on the Raps board, created a thread saying this was a great opportunity for the Raptors to buy low on Klay Thompson and trade Pascal Siakam for him to re-balance the team. I was unable to confirm what drugs he was on at the time.

If this was peak Klay Thompson, who was younger, absolutely. But not the current one who is 4 years older and has regressed because of unfortunate injuries.

Some guy on the Raps board, created a thread saying this was a great opportunity for the Raptors to buy low on Klay Thompson and trade Pascal Siakam for him to re-balance the team. I was unable to confirm what drugs he was on at the time.

If this was peak Klay Thompson, who was younger, absolutely. But not the current one who is 4 years older and has regressed because of unfortunate injuries.
The idea of buying low on him is fine, but Siakam for Klay would be buying high.

Bucks/Cs and Mavs/Suns have both been officiated terribly. It doesn’t help that all those teams have players that I’ll just say push the rules to the limit.

This aspect of the game has gotten beyond tiring to watch. It’s way out of hand. Basketball isn’t even fun to watch anymore because of all these scrubs trying harder to game the refs and cheat than to actually hoop.

Yeah, I know Denver was undermanned and Jokic had an amazing year and did all he could.

It just seems like 48-34 and getting knocked out in 5 games in round 1….it’s a pretty pedestrian season for a team with the MVP, regardless of the reason for it.

I remember when Carmelo had one of his best seasons ever (the year after the scoring title) while the Knicks flopped because everyone else sucked that year, and he got zero accolades. Not even an All NBA 3rd team.

It was a weird year for the league, Memphis was second in the league with 56 wins. Not a lot of killer records. Depending on how the rest of this series with Miami/Philly goes, I do think an MVP that covered both regular and playoffs might go a different way.

It's funny you say that about Melo; without looking anything up I would've said the scoring title season (12-13) was clearly his best season with the Knicks, third in MVP, they win 54 games. But then you look at the numbers. Pretty damn close! (I think the real answer is he shouldn't have been third in the MVP the one year and then 15th the next; probably more somewhere in the middle).

Changing the topic a little, but staying on MVP. I was having this debate with a buddy last night; who is the next american born player to win the MVP? It's actually pretty crazy when you think about it, the top 3 this year were all foreign and that doesn't even include Luka! We threw out Tatum or Ja maybe.

It was a weird year for the league, Memphis was second in the league with 56 wins. Not a lot of killer records. Depending on how the rest of this series with Miami/Philly goes, I do think an MVP that covered both regular and playoffs might go a different way.

It's funny you say that about Melo; without looking anything up I would've said the scoring title season (12-13) was clearly his best season with the Knicks, third in MVP, they win 54 games. But then you look at the numbers. Pretty damn close! (I think the real answer is he shouldn't have been third in the MVP the one year and then 15th the next; probably more somewhere in the middle).

Changing the topic a little, but staying on MVP. I was having this debate with a buddy last night; who is the next american born player to win the MVP? It's actually pretty crazy when you think about it, the top 3 this year were all foreign and that doesn't even include Luka! We threw out Tatum or Ja maybe.
Tatum.

I’m skeptical Ja will ever get there. I just think other players fill the box score more/play significantly better defense. It’ll be really tough for him IMO. Tatum and still Durant or Lebron would probably be my best guesses.

I'm concerned about Ja's knees. This is the 3rd time this year he has been out and the way he plays is eerily similar to Derrick Rose early in his career.

After the 1st quarter I jumped all over Klay's live total points prop of Under 20.5.

I’m skeptical Ja will ever get there. I just think other players fill the box score more/play significantly better defense. It’ll be really tough for him IMO. Tatum and still Durant or Lebron would probably be my best guesses.

I didn't love the Ja call, despite me being the guy to throw it out there. Tatum seems like a better bet for sure. If Memphis is able to consolidate their pieces into another guy and they have Ja/JJJ/Bane/4th guy they could be a 60 win team and legit title contender and then you're at least in play for the mvp though I feel you on the defense issue for Ja. (cut to Devin Booker)

But it's pretty crazy, you have the oldish guard like Steph/Lebron/Durant/Dame/Kawhi (remember him?) who are probably too old to be the mvp. I'd throw Booker in the mix this year, but he couldn't even get a sniff this year. Trae has some of the same defensive issues Ja does, just even more of them.

Tatum.

Would be the logical choice, IMO. At this point, He's a much better two way player than most mentioned. Kawhi will never play enough games in the regular season to be a real factor for the MVP race. Ja would have to make some serious strides defensively.

I'm concerned about Ja's knees. This is the 3rd time this year he has been out and the way he plays is eerily similar to Derrick Rose early in his career.

You would hope it's something he get cleaned up in the off season and it's the same knee that has been the issue all year. Those explosive moves and finishes at the rim definitely come at a cost. He's pretty slight of frame.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Durantula has an MVP season in him.

Would guess the tiers for MVP will be:

Probably can win it almost any year in the near term: Giannis and Jokic
In the second rung of candidates if health/wins/narrative work for them and should be circling: Embiid, Luka, Tatum
Throwback outside chance but wouldn't bet on it: Steph and KD

Tatum would have to be the choice, I think. But, in reality, I would think it's more likely Luka ascends if anything.

"No you weren't a shot blocker. Stop it."

The 2,000 blocks list is pretty exclusive company. The only 2 active guys right now that seem to have any kind of realistic shot at getting to that career number are Ant Davis and Rudy Gobert. Nobody else has the juice.

I'm just not sure he can play enough games at this point. I still think he's probably good enough to be MVP if he did
Statistically he was great this season. If that carries over, and he's healthy, and Kyrie isn't a stupid distraction, I think he's in the discussion next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom