NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 113 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

I’ve been wrong like 3 times in these playoffs already, but kinda feel like the ECF winner washes GS. And I didn’t feel that way going into the playoffs.

Is it me, or do people seem to get hurt around Adebayo an awful lot? He’s like a skilled Pachulia or Delladova

Same. It makes no sense. I watched little of this series…. because it was incomprehensible to me that the Mavs might win.

Last time I was really watching Paul, he was going like 11-11 from the field or something.

This makes no sense to me. I figured Suns in 5…6 max. Losing by 40 with Paul doing nothing….huh? How?
Paul was legitimately terrible the last 4 or 5 games of the series. Probably the worst stretch of his career. And Game 7 was obviously one of the worst games of his career; it wasn't just him either. I mean, he and Booker had combined to go like 0/12 in the first half and the rest of the team wasn't much better.

It's no shock at all that reports came out after the game of CP3 limping around and that he had been hurt the whole time. People roll their eyes at those reports all the time, but the severe drop off in his play in this series is just unfathomable to me.

Paul was legitimately terrible the last 4 or 5 games of the series. Probably the worst stretch of his career. And Game 7 was obviously one of the worst games of his career; it wasn't just him either. I mean, he and Booker had combined to go like 0/12 in the first half and the rest of the team wasn't much better.

It's no shock at all that reports came out after the game of CP3 limping around and that he had been hurt the whole time. People roll their eyes at those reports all the time, but the severe drop off in his play in this series is just unfathomable to me.
I mean….it’s the only thing that makes sense.

People like winners and losers with no excuses,

But what’s more plausible: CP3 was hurt or CP3 just randomly played the worst basketball of his career….after playing some of the best basketball of his career in the previous round? This isn’t an up and down guy….his performance is pretty much always top notch. An injury is the only thing I can fathom.

So in the pro “defense is largely effort” category .. if it’s not true … explain to me how Luca goes from a sieve first two games to being totally cromulent and almost a defensive asset the rest of the series ? Did he suddenly get more athletic ? Nothing annoys me more or alerts me to the fact know you know NOTHING about basketball than claiming you have to be tall to rebound or athletic to play D
He may not look it ( the vanilla wrapper and all), but Luka is a terrific athlete. You can't beat all those guys to the basket or get off your shot like he does, without being a great athlete.

He may not look it ( the vanilla wrapper and all), but Luka is a terrific athlete. You can't beat all those guys to the basket or get off your shot like he does, without being a great athlete.

Depends on what scale you are using? Is he a great athlete? sure he is. Is he a "great athlete" in terms of the NBA? Well no he isn't. He's top 3-4 best players in the NBA but he isn't a great athlete by NBA standards. Luka is a great athlete in the way he is a BIG guy who has point guard skills.

Magic and Bird were great hall of fame players but I don't think they are remembered for their elite athleticism as NBA players. Magic a lot like Luka as well. Big guy with point guard skills

NBA athleticism to me looks like these guys in their prime: LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi before injuries, Westbrook/ OKC and now Ja Morant

Last edited:
I mean….it’s the only thing that makes sense.

People like winners and losers with no excuses,

But what’s more plausible: CP3 was hurt or CP3 just randomly played the worst basketball of his career….after playing some of the best basketball of his career in the previous round? This isn’t an up and down guy….his performance is pretty much always top notch. An injury is the only thing I can fathom.
He was definitely banged up. They said it was left quad which if it was something worse than a minor strain would be pretty rough to play guard with. If it was as bad as his play looked then maybe he has to sit but don't think that was happening as long as he could walk.

Players eat a lot of crap for trying to play through things. Just take a look at Baker Mayfield's stats in 2020 and the 1st 2 weeks of 2021. He was pretty friggin' good. Then he tears the labrum in his left shoulder and tried to play with it all season and well he played like crap as you'd assume and now everyone now just says he's terrible. If he just has surgery week 3 and gets healthy, there is a completely different conversation around the guy right now. Instead Seattle is talking themselves into starting Drew Lock and the Panthers are about to have a Sam Darnold/Matt Corral competition.

Chet at +155 to go #1. I'm pretty interested in that.

I think this is as uncertain a top of the draft as we've had in a long long time.
I thought so too. Thought it was a coin flip between Chet and Jabari with Paolo kind of a longshot which he seems to be at +600. Hate that the Kings moved ahead of Detroit. Wanted to see the Pistons be able to grab one of the big 4 to pair with Cade and make them interesting.

Givony actually has the Kings taking Murray ahead of Ivey so that would be something.

Of course he’s a great athlete for a human. He’s an NBA all star. But he’s not a great athlete for an NBA player. Not even close. He uses size , strength, and technique to do what he does . He doesn’t out athlete you… did he get more athletic during the short period of his time in the series where his D went from poor to good ?

Chet at +155 to go #1. I'm pretty interested in that.
He is a great talent but is he physical enough to have a long-term injury free career. I don't want to compare him to Porzinges but skinny guys usually don't last forever.

I think it's manifest destiny that Chet ends up with OKC.

I thought so too. Thought it was a coin flip between Chet and Jabari with Paolo kind of a longshot which he seems to be at +600. Hate that the Kings moved ahead of Detroit. Wanted to see the Pistons be able to grab one of the big 4 to pair with Cade and make them interesting.

Givony actually has the Kings taking Murray ahead of Ivey so that would be something.
It probably won't happen which is why the odds are so long, but I know Sharpe has been told he's in the running for the #1 pick in the draft and Orlando could really use someone like him (assuming his HS scouting report is accurate, which you never really know), so I threw a few dollars on him as the #1 pick just as a fun gamble. I doubt I'll make a serious bet on the #1 pick, but if I do, I'm going to wait it out until we start to hear some more leaks.

He is a great talent but is he physical enough to have a long-term injury free career. I don't want to compare him to Porzinges but skinny guys usually don't last forever.
I was going to say that on the flipside, Rudy Gobert has held up pretty well as a skinny but very tall center, but he came to the league at like 30-40 lbs heavier than Chet is listed at lol. Porzingis had a good 20-30 lbs on Chet too. Looking at past draft combines and going from most recent to older drafts, here's the 6'10"+ prospects that weighed under 220 lbs (Chet is listed at 195, but giving a little bit of leeway here to try to find more names/just in case Chet puts on weight ahead of the Combine):
  • Bol Bol
  • Jaxson Hayes
  • Nic Claxton
  • Zhou Qi
  • Thon Maker
  • Skal Labissiere
  • Nerlens Noel
  • Keith Benson
It's obviously a...unique build. He's super, super talented, but needless to say, he'll be an outlier if he sticks.

I was going to say that on the flipside, Rudy Gobert has held up pretty well as a skinny but very tall center, but he came to the league at like 30-40 lbs heavier than Chet is listed at lol. Porzingis had a good 20-30 lbs on Chet too. Looking at past draft combines and going from most recent to older drafts, here's the 6'10"+ prospects that weighed under 220 lbs (Chet is listed at 195, but giving a little bit of leeway here to try to find more names/just in case Chet puts on weight ahead of the Combine):
  • Bol Bol
  • Jaxson Hayes
  • Nic Claxton
  • Zhou Qi
  • Thon Maker
  • Skal Labissiere
  • Nerlens Noel
  • Keith Benson
It's obviously a...unique build. He's super, super talented, but needless to say, he'll be an outlier if he sticks.
Chet's the anti-Zion.

Depends on what scale you are using? Is he a great athlete? sure he is. Is he a "great athlete" in terms of the NBA? Well no he isn't. He's top 3-4 best players in the NBA but he isn't a great athlete by NBA standards. Luka is a great athlete in the way he is a BIG guy who has point guard skills.

Magic and Bird were great hall of fame players but I don't think they are remembered for their elite athleticism as NBA players. Magic a lot like Luka as well. Big guy with point guard skills

NBA athleticism to me looks like these guys in their prime: LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi before injuries, Westbrook/ OKC and now Ja Morant
Jumping is not the sole measure of a great athlete. Those guys you mentioned can't stop him. If they were far superior athletes, they could.