NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

The Duncan Robinson contract is a real head scratcher, nice story, great shooter but a liability on the defensive end but it seems that this has now just come to light? The new buzz word in all NBA pods, media is they were " hunting" so and so on the defensive end. and yeah I get it but you also need to score points at times and there is always going to be some guys that are weak on the D end.

Lowry is old but looks really out of shape and as the tweet said doesn't really seem to be meeting the Heat expectations with regard to fitness but he has been hurt

Miami's shooting has just been horrendous. Strus and Lowry were so bad last night. They are 1/28 the past two games. The two teams look like the last round of a rocky fight last night but the play to get to the last round hasn't been very fun to watch either

Last edited:
The Duncan Robinson contract is a real head scratcher, nice story, great shooter but a liability on the defensive end but it seems that this has now just come to light? The new buzz word in all NBA pods, media is they were " hunting" so and so on the defensive end. and yeah I get it but you also need to score points at times and there is always going to be some guys that are weak on the D end.

Lowry is old but looks really out of shape and as the tweet said doesn't really seem to be meeting the Heat expectations with regard to fitness but he has been hurt

Miami's shooting has just been horrendous. Strus and Lowry were so bad last night. They are 1/28 the past two games. The two teams look like the last round of a rocky fight last night but the play to get to the last round hasn't been very fun to watch either

That tweet is horrendous though - I wish Dave Checketts and the MSG brass gave Riley whatever he wanted in 94 or whenever that was.

That tweet is horrendous though - I wish Dave Checketts and the MSG brass gave Riley whatever he wanted in 94 or whenever that was.

Yeah I think Riley's body of work speaks for itself as a coach and a GM but probably two moves he would rather have back at this point

It seems that sometimes GMs give money to favorites because they have to spend it anyway

It seems that sometimes GMs give money to favorites because they have to spend it anyway

I also think Robinson was an unrestricted FA at the time he signed and was probably going to get similar on the open market considering how well he shot the ball and what a premium shooting is in the NBA these days. He signs a 5 year 90 mil. I seem to remember there being quite a few stipulations in there for him to get the entire 90 mil, one which was the heat winning an NBA title

Duncan was always targeted on defense but he had generally survived okay and the gravity he brought to the team with his movement shooting outweighed it. But Herro and Strus blowing up the way they did this season made Duncan a lot more expendable than they had forecasted. That contract always had the potential to be an anchor the same way Davis Bertans, Evan Fournier, and others were, but it’s kinda hilarious to see how instant the regret has been for a team that has otherwise done a great job of building the roster. Curious to see if they find a trade partner for him in the off-season; there’s a lot of bad contracts out there and a lot of teams that would like to add his shooting ability so I wouldn’t be totally surprised.

Yeah I think Riley's body of work speaks for itself as a coach and a GM but probably two moves he would rather have back at this point
Felt the same way that one summer when they blew their load on Waiters and a few other role players and suddenly had this really bloated salary cap of mediocre players but they were able to pivot away from those guys real quick.

Duncan was always targeted on defense but he had generally survived okay and the gravity he brought to the team with his movement shooting outweighed it. But Herro and Strus blowing up the way they did this season made Duncan a lot more expendable than they had forecasted. That contract always had the potential to be an anchor the same way Davis Bertans, Evan Fournier, and others were, but it’s kinda hilarious to see how instant the regret has been for a team that has otherwise done a great job of building the roster. Curious to see if they find a trade partner for him in the off-season; there’s a lot of bad contracts out there and a lot of teams that would like to add his shooting ability so I wouldn’t be totally surprised.

Good post, like you said I think there are a lot of teams that probably have a guy on their roster in that 14-18 mil range that probably regret resigning or trading for. Guys in that range are either a bargain for a few years or will be looking for more sometime soon! not much middle ground

Felt the same way that one summer when they blew their load on Waiters and a few other role players and suddenly had this really bloated salary cap of mediocre players but they were able to pivot away from those guys real quick.

yeah like Mike posted earlier in the week the GM's ability to acknowledge a bad deal or contract and pivot away ASAP is extremely important. I find the GM's on more solid footing can do this because they have earned the trust of the people that hired them. You aren't going to be right all the time.

I would be cautious with some of these all star older guys and offering the big extensions. Westbrook, C Paul, Harden, Lowry etc. Chris Paul has been great for Phoenix in the grand scheme and has really done everything possible off the court to try and stay in shape and healthy but he gets hurt all the time and I think the Pelicans series took a lot out of him. He played GREAT in games 1,3 and 6 of that series but man they made him work for everything and chased him all over. He was toast and hurt in the series versus Dallas

Roster construction in the NBA is fascinating really and what makes the league so popular in many ways. So interested to see what some of these teams do in the off season

Last edited:
I thought both eastern teams were better than the warriors but this Ecf has been unwatchable for me.

At this point, GS has to be favored.

I thought both eastern teams were better than the warriors but this Ecf has been unwatchable for me.

At this point, GS has to be favored.

The series will come down to how GS deals with the Celtics size and vice versa. Two very different teams. The Celtics when they have all their guys will be tough.

The series will come down to how GS deals with the Celtics size and vice versa. Two very different teams. The Celtics when they have all their guys will be tough.
It doesn't seem like they will though. Both eastern times are really beat up.

Assuming the Warriors win they are going to try and speed up Boston as much as possible and actually run an offense where guys are moving off the ball. Miami does none of that and they don’t have anywhere close to the same offensive talent. And despite the Warriors size they are crushing everyone on the glass.

I am really looking forward to Draymond and Marcus Smart going at it for at least 4 games. It’s got drama written all over it.

It doesn't seem like they will though. Both eastern times are really beat up.
Smart will be fine by the finals. Williams on the other hand really needs the series to end Friday to get that knee some rest and treatment.

Old Al vs Draymond will be interesting.