NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 121 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Nba playoffs have been , by in large , crap. Most games total blowouts .. and the teams often alternating the roll of the alpha .. gotta be mental
The more 3 pointer heavy the game gets, the more it’s like this IMO.

Pretty much nobody has a guy you can just dump the ball to in the paint to get a bucket or get to the line to help break up a drought.

You see both more extreme runs and droughts when everyone relies so heavily on the 3.

I'll start - the difference between Melo's career and KD is that KD happened to hit free agency at a historically unprecedented time for contending teams to have cap room.
Yeah, arguably the best player in the league joining what was already the best team was just nuts.

Imagine prime Carmelo time traveling and being on that Warriors team?

Carmelo would’ve won multiple titles and had the most efficient and effortless scoring seasons of his career if he had gone to Miami and been part of that superteam.

Pretty much nobody has a guy you can just dump the ball to in the paint to get a bucket or get to the line to help break up a drought.

You see both more extreme runs and droughts when everyone relies so heavily on the 3.

The playoffs have definitely sucked and injuries have played a large role as well. I turned last night game off after the 1st quarter as you could see where it was going.

JJ’s on another level.

Did JJ ever respond to Bob Cousy's response to JJ"s tough guy comment on his opposition. I like JJ but he got clowned by Beverly - be consistent or get out of the game.

Golden State is the best team left at scoring in the paint and they started this revolution. It’s why I think they are going to win. Everyone sells out on Curry so the other guys are getting wide open layups. Steve Kerr has even admitted its difficult to rely on 3’s in short series due to volatility.

Yeah until Luka quits on 2 teams I'm giving him the nod. Though I think they both have the same off-season trainer.

I think Luka, from all reports, isn't a workout warrior and more of a homebody and not great about diet. I think that's all fair.

Harden, from what I've read (and I'm totally fine with whatever someone wants to do with their time), likes to enjoy a bit more of the libations and what not.

Now, either way, both these dudes aren't Bron with his workout mantra. But between Luka's age and a little less tread on the tires, I think he may come around to at least be a bit more motivated to get in shape.

I think Luka, from all reports, isn't a workout warrior and more of a homebody and not great about diet. I think that's all fair.

Harden, from what I've read (and I'm totally fine with whatever someone wants to do with their time), likes to enjoy a bit more of the libations and what not.

Now, either way, both these dudes aren't Bron with his workout mantra. But between Luka's age and a little less tread on the tires, I think he may come around to at least be a bit more motivated to get in shape.
He needs a vet that can show him the way.

It seems like knowledge about getting your body right gets passed down by example from veteran players to younger guys.

Not sure Dallas has someone like that on the roster for Luka right now.

Harden had no help as a Rocket almost every single year. Now he's crappy. But in his peak, give him the players Durant had around him at GS and see how that would work out. The entire "championship player" concept is bs and more a product of place and time than anything. I guess Luke Longley should be in the Hall
The dude absolutely DISAPPEARS in every big game. Starting with playing SU in the NCAA.

I'll start - the difference between Melo's career and KD is that KD happened to hit free agency at a historically unprecedented time for contending teams to have cap room.
Actually, Melo could have been with LBJ and Wade, but took the longer contract so he missed that window

Fwiw, Givony is reporting that it’s basically a lock that Jabari goes #1 to Orlando and Chet goes #2 to OKC.

JJ’s on another level.

Ummm...how do you measure shot quality for teammates? Is there actually a metric? If so, does it consider the teammates abilities? For instance, creating a wide open 3 for Draymond Green is different than creating one for Klay Thompson.

A good source claims he played that game hungover and played a big part in his putrid performance.
The pressure gets to him, even then. Of course, may be indicative of a problem

Last edited:
Ummm...how do you measure shot quality for teammates? Is there actually a metric? If so, does it consider the teammates abilities? For instance, creating a wide open 3 for Draymond Green is different than creating one for Klay Thompson.

Yes.

The SQ assist is calculated using probability:

If Player X made a pass for a wide open layup that goes in 90% of the time. Then Player X would be credited with .9 of an SQ assist, regardless if the teammate made or missed the shot.

Or, if Player X made a pass to a contested midrange that goes in 20% of the time. Then, Player X would get credited with .2 of an SQ assist, regardless if the teammate made or missed the shot.

The SQ assist is the total accumulation of the probability each pass had of going and rounded to the nearest whole number!

Fwiw, Givony is reporting that it’s basically a lock that Jabari goes #1 to Orlando and Chet goes #2 to OKC.

A few thoughts:

- I actually think this is best for Chet. Having playmakers like Shai and Giddey should help him get good looks.

- I think Jabari should be the #1 pick (imho), but I really hope they ensure that he gets looks and Cole Anthony doesn't think he's as good as Steph or Dame. I would hate for Jabari to have selfish guards at Auburn and then right again at Orlando. Fultz and Suggs need to make sure he's properly cared for.

- Houston, assuming they take Banchero, really needs to get a real PG in there. They don't want Wall there. Porter can't be the answer. They have the 17th pick as well, guess we'll see who they go with with that second pick.

Yes.

The SQ assist is calculated using probability:

If Player X made a pass for a wide open layup that goes in 90% of the time. Then Player X would be credited with .9 of an SQ assist, regardless if the teammate made or missed the shot.

Or, if Player X made a pass to a contested midrange that goes in 20% of the time. Then, Player X would get credited with .2 of an SQ assist, regardless if the teammate made or missed the shot.

The SQ assist is the total accumulation of the probability each pass had of going and rounded to the nearest whole number!
So it's general but not specific. Still a cool stat. Wish they would keep hockey assists. Z Sims was great at those.

A few thoughts:

- I actually think this is best for Chet. Having playmakers like Shai and Giddey should help him get good looks.

- I think Jabari should be the #1 pick (imho), but I really hope they ensure that he gets looks and Cole Anthony doesn't think he's as good as Steph or Dame. I would hate for Jabari to have selfish guards at Auburn and then right again at Orlando. Fultz and Suggs need to make sure he's properly cared for.

- Houston, assuming they take Banchero, really needs to get a real PG in there. They don't want Wall there. Porter can't be the answer. They have the 17th pick as well, guess we'll see who they go with with that second pick.
I kinda wonder if Houston throws the draft off at #3. I don’t really love the fit with Paolo and Jalen personally, though I do think he’s the best prospect there. We’ll see. I’m also not at all sold on the PGs in this draft. They could really use a Tyus Jones signing this off-season (no idea what their cap situation is but I assume it’s enough?)

So it's general but not specific. Still a cool stat. Wish they would keep hockey assists. Z Sims was great at those.

No, it is specific as far as I know. The "90% of the time" part of the equation is specific to the shooter in question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom