NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Jinglin' Joe Ingles, Bojan and Conley are on notice.
Maybe Bojan. I would be shocked if Ingles or Conley went. Forrest or Butler are not ready to fill Conley's minutes, so you would need to pick up an experienced point guard who will be more important to the team than Conley who is averaging 46% from three. 5.5 assists and 14 points. Yes, he is going to get paid a lot for the next couple years, and he is 34 years old, but do you want to weaken yourself at the guard spot to help another team. I like the team the way it is, and they talked about trading Bojan for Jerami Grant, but except for the fact that Jerami is five years younger, and one of my all-time favorite Syracuse players, I'm ok with Bojan starting with Rudy Gay backing him up.

Maybe Bojan. I would be shocked if Ingles or Conley went. Forrest or Butler are not ready to fill Conley's minutes, so you would need to pick up an experienced point guard who will be more important to the team than Conley who is averaging 46% from three. 5.5 assists and 14 points. Yes, he is going to get paid a lot for the next couple years, and he is 34 years old, but do you want to weaken yourself at the guard spot to help another team. I like the team the way it is, and they talked about trading Bojan for Jerami Grant, but except for the fact that Jerami is five years younger, and one of my all-time favorite Syracuse players, I'm ok with Bojan starting with Rudy Gay backing him up.
I think the future is you move Mitchell to "playmaker" and pair him with a big guard that can shoot.

Like Buddy Hield could be a really good fit.

Is Russell Westbrook a bad good player or a good bad player ?

Is Russell Westbrook a bad good player or a good bad player ?
He’s a great player. And he’s been playing extremely well.

Tonight at Dallas, Russ played 42 minutes in an OT game, scored 23 points, hit a yuge clutch 3 late in the game, and had 10 rebounds & 9 assists, including this sweet pass to an undrafted rookie for the win.

Last edited:
He’s a great player. And he’s been playing extremely well.

Tonight at Dallas, Russ played 42 minutes in an OT game, scored 23 points, hit a yuge clutch 3 late in the game, and had 10 rebounds & 9 assists, including this sweet pass to an undrafted rookie for the win.

He was a great player .. I’m talking about now .. having a great game doesn’t make you great

He was a great player .. I’m talking about now .. having a great game doesn’t make you great
He is in his 14th season. Still has good stats but numbers show that he is starting the down slope of his career. Happens to everyone. I personally thought it was a dumb pickup by the Lakers but they were really reaching for talent to surround LBJ.

I think the future is you move Mitchell to "playmaker" and pair him with a big guard that can shoot.

Like Buddy Hield could be a really good fit.
No way in a million years that the Jazz will add Heild's 94-million-dollar contract, but I know what you are saying. Obviously Spida has the ball in his hands a lot, but I think I am one of few that would rather see him long term play the 2 guard. The way the Jazz have been playing, I would hate to tinker with the club this season. So many good pieces to plug in. Their core bench of Clarkson, Ingles, Gay and Whiteside are averaging 40 points a game. Like the last couple years in the playoffs, it will come down to how healthy the team is.

Meanwhile, in OKC …………..

I mean Shay's shot was a heave, then the winner by Graham was a real heave. Crazy ending The game was the cellar dweller, loser goes to the bottom of the western conference. I think the Pelicans now have a winning record when Ingram plays but media still discusses him as a trade piece every day. Trading him for Ben Simmons etc. The pels struggle to score points on a nightly basis, so you would be giving up 24 a night for 7?

Last edited:
No way in a million years that the Jazz will add Heild's 94-million-dollar contract, but I know what you are saying. Obviously Spida has the ball in his hands a lot, but I think I am one of few that would rather see him long term play the 2 guard. The way the Jazz have been playing, I would hate to tinker with the club this season. So many good pieces to plug in. Their core bench of Clarkson, Ingles, Gay and Whiteside are averaging 40 points a game. Like the last couple years in the playoffs, it will come down to how healthy the team is.

That's really impressive bench scoring. WOW, that is huge

I mean Shay's shot was a heave, then the winner by Graham was a real heave. Crazy ending The game was the cellar dweller, loser goes to the bottom of the western conference. I think the Pelicans now have a winning record when Ingram plays but media still discusses him as a trade piece every day. Trading him for Ben Simmons etc. The pels struggle to score points on a nightly basis, so you would be giving up 24 a night for 7?
I suppose it might be better than the usual trade Zion pieces at least? New Orleans is 9-14 with Ingram and 0-7 without. I tend to think neither player is a particularly good fit with Zion and I wouldn't really want to build a team around either player either. They've unfortunately done a really poor job of building around Zion and at some point, if they do want to keep him, it seems like they'll have to move Ingram to at least try something else.

I suppose it might be better than the usual trade Zion pieces at least? New Orleans is 9-14 with Ingram and 0-7 without. I tend to think neither player is a particularly good fit with Zion and I wouldn't really want to build a team around either player either. They've unfortunately done a really poor job of building around Zion and at some point, if they do want to keep him, it seems like they'll have to move Ingram to at least try something else.

Got it I think stat I read was after BI came back from the injury. I just don't see them moving Ingram. I think JV is a good fit with Zion, pels need better production from their guards. Have to figure out whether Zion wants to be there first and then if he can stay healthy. This season is obviously toast but with healthy Zion, BI, JV and Hart, and Herb, draft best guard and hopefully acquire some more shooting might not be bad. Herb Jones has been a really nice piece they drafted, really hard worker and great defender already. Murphy just needs minutes and they should be playing him more over Temple. Murphy can shoot. Temple and Satorasky have been beyond bad. Kiera Lewis was showing some signs of life prior to the knee injury. Willie Green will also be given the Alvin Gentry treatment as well, given 3-4 seasons for sure, probably 4. He is very well liked by players, coaches but most importantly Ms Benson

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm worried that Snyder is a great regular season coach and an awful playoffs coach.

His whole thing is having a system that put the odds of winning in his favor over the long haul. That works in the regular season when you play teams one at a time. In a 7 game series though you have to be able to throw some curve balls and mix up styles. He doesn't do that. He's got zero counter punch.

He's done a really solid job but I think it's possible if the Jazz are going to be a real finals contender they may need to upgrade their coaching. Which sounds weird, but that's the conclusion I've come to after they lead their last two playoff series and then got smoked and eliminated.

Pelicans are in a tough spot.

People can make the case that they haven't done a good job building around Zion. Maybe they haven't, but it hasn't been for lack of trying. Zion's not an easy player to build around though because he doesn't play more often than he plays. When he's in he's good, but they have to build around him more because of hype factor than any actual performance baseline they can rely on. Maybe they actually have done a good job of putting a team around him. Hard to say though if the key ingredient can't get on the floor.

People can make the case that they haven't done a good job building around Zion. Maybe they haven't, but it hasn't been for lack of trying. Zion's not an easy player to build around though because he doesn't play more often than he plays. When he's in he's good, but they have to build around him more because of hype factor than any actual performance baseline they can rely on. Maybe they actually have done a good job of putting a team around him. Hard to say though if the key ingredient can't get on the floor.

Good point, like you said how the hell does anyone really know how well they have built around Zion? he hasn't played enough. I can say from watching JV, he is the type of center that people said the Pels needed along side Zion. He has shot the 3 ball well, plays D and rebounds well.

Zion was great last year when healthy but that was for 62 games.

Good point, like you said how the hell does anyone really know how well they have built around Zion? he hasn't played enough. I can say from watching JV, he is the type of center that people said the Pels needed along side Zion. He has shot the 3 ball well, plays D and rebounds well.

Zion was great last year when healthy but that was for 62 games.
Yeah, we've known since he was in highschool that he's unique.

So the task is to build a team around a unique players but also a team that can win without that uniqueness in the lineup?

Yeah, we've known since he was in highschool that he's unique.

So the task is to build a team around a unique players but also a team that can win without that uniqueness in the lineup?

It really is a tough spot as you stated, and with no Zion it's all hypothetical so until he's back nobody really knows. Probably the reason why even if he comes back for 15-20 games this year to get a look and what works and what doesn't. Better than nothing

Unfortunately I'm worried that Snyder is a great regular season coach and an awful playoffs coach.

His whole thing is having a system that put the odds of winning in his favor over the long haul. That works in the regular season when you play teams one at a time. In a 7 game series though you have to be able to throw some curve balls and mix up styles. He doesn't do that. He's got zero counter punch.

He's done a really solid job but I think it's possible if the Jazz are going to be a real finals contender they may need to upgrade their coaching. Which sounds weird, but that's the conclusion I've come to after they lead their last two playoff series and then got smoked and eliminated.
We will see this year. Gay and Whiteside are huge upgrades that could pay important dividends in the playoffs. Golden State and Phoenix are both really tough, so nothing is given and there is a back-to-back in January at Golden State and at Phoenix so it will be interesting how Quin plays that. He has a little Boeheim in him in that he is stubborn and predictable. I would hate to see them flame out this year because you know important pieces will be blown up. Not a fan of the Danny Ainge move but will withhold judgement.

I agree that they've made a lot of moves recently and haven't even gotten to see Zion on the court with them, but I also think it's pretty obvious to most that are paying attention that moves like giving up more for Devonte Graham than they got for Lonzo Ball are just objectively poor use of assets. Signing Steven Adams to an extension just to have to attach multiple first round picks to him to get him off the books was similarly bad.

No doubt the fact that Zion has struggled to step on a basketball court has made things a lot more difficult for them though.

He’s an awful human being, that’s for sure.

So, uh. The Knicks. They kinda suck?
We all basically knew the offense and defense both skated by on luck last season but the sharp reversal of that this season is still a little stunning. I thought they’d have a hard time making the playoffs but man it’s been ugly.

Also, is Cleveland for real? I feel like if not we'd be seeing them fall off more than we have by now like Washington has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom