NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 180 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Brogdon looks completely overmatched and out of his element on both ends of the court

cAnT hAvE 10 dAyS oFf BeFoRe ThE fInAlz, It’s TeH rEfS mAkInG sUrE taHt DzN’t hApPeN bCuZ StErN mAdE tEh PhOnE cAlL.
OK, I’ll bite…

So the Lakers and their style of play are tops in both. Let’s see how they did the year before…

Decent in free throws attempted, but not good at all with opponent free throws.

Back to the first two links. Toggle the dates and go to the beginning of the season. At the end of October, the Lakers were near the bottom in free throw attempts and middle of the pack with opponent free throws. That continued through most of November. Then, after the last week of that month, all of a sudden the Lakers are top ten in both.

The Lakers regressed in both areas in December and January. There wasn’t much in the way of consistency until February/March. Then the numbers exploded.

So what happened? Did Ham have a Ted Lasso-esque epiphany and implement a new style of play on both sides of the ball overnight? Or did he notice a trend and coach his players to exploit it, a la Pitino or Belichick?

I doubt it’s the former, because there wasn’t steady improvement in December. That last week in November appears to have been a random occurrence, not an adjustment in play. Which makes it more likely it was the latter. Ham took notice of what the refs were calling and not calling and took advantage, sometime in late January or early February.

Was that good coaching? Of course. It just wasn’t something he came up with. It wasn’t about style of play. He wasn’t proactive, he was reactive.

Celtics fans want ARod and Jeter in the building for the rest of the series

I’m all for huge fines, technicals and ejections to get it out of the game. Every team does it. It’s ridiculous.
My stance is if the league were really interested in eradicating it (they aren’t), suspend players for flops for at least a season or two. Players would probably cut it out pretty quick.

Small fines or the current treatment, pretending you’ll give a small fine but instead just reward them, aren’t going to do it. It’s ridiculous and in some cases, makes the sport unwatchable.

OK, I’ll bite…

So the Lakers and their style of play are tops in both. Let’s see how they did the year before…

Decent in free throws attempted, but not good at all with opponent free throws.

Back to the first two links. Toggle the dates and go to the beginning of the season. At the end of October, the Lakers were near the bottom in free throw attempts and middle of the pack with opponent free throws. That continued through most of November. Then, after the last week of that month, all of a sudden the Lakers are top ten in both.

The Lakers regressed in both areas in December and January. There wasn’t much in the way of consistency until February/March. Then the numbers exploded.

So what happened? Did Ham have a Ted Lasso-esque epiphany and implement a new style of play on both sides of the ball overnight? Or did he notice a trend and coach his players to exploit it, a la Pitino or Belichick?

I doubt it’s the former, because there wasn’t steady improvement in December. That last week in November appears to have been a random occurrence, not an adjustment in play. Which makes it more likely it was the latter. Ham took notice of what the refs were calling and not calling and took advantage, sometime in late January or early February.

Was that good coaching? Of course. It just wasn’t something he came up with. It wasn’t about style of play. He wasn’t proactive, he was reactive.

Lmao Clips fans swore they were about to take over LA. Now you’re back writing research papers on refs favoring the Lakers after another disappointing Clippers season.

Lmao Clips fans swore they were about to take over LA. Now you’re back writing research papers on refs favoring the Lakers after another disappointing Clippers season.
Let’s see how the Lakers do without LeBron and AD in a playoff series.

The Clippers still have the superior owner and front office. Lue is a better coach than Ham and I’ll be surprised if his replacement isn’t better than Ham.

Nothing’s changed. Everyone knew the risks with Leonard and George staying healthy. If the Clippers need to pivot, they’ll pivot.

The Fakers free throw shenanigans are not sustainable. Their financial troubles are real and they don’t have draft picks. Enjoy this WCF appearance by your plucky underdogs, because it’s all downhill from here. Unless the Buss family sells, which they won’t.

My Steph hater friend is loving this

1684952455785.jpeg

Let’s see how the Lakers do without LeBron and AD in a playoff series.

The Clippers still have the superior owner and front office. Lue is a better coach than Ham and I’ll be surprised if his replacement isn’t better than Ham.

Nothing’s changed. Everyone knew the risks with Leonard and George staying healthy. If the Clippers need to pivot, they’ll pivot.

The Fakers free throw shenanigans are not sustainable. Their financial troubles are real and they don’t have draft picks. Enjoy this WCF appearance by your plucky underdogs, because it’s all downhill from here. Unless the Buss family sells, which they won’t.
Ehhh I don’t know about all that.

Clippers have a better owner because of his checkbook but new rules are negating that advantage to a degree.

Clips front office has the bigger budget but LAL front office has objectively been more successful. LAL has a championship and more playoff success with less payroll. They’ve also done better through the draft process.

Lakers have a better pick this year than LAC and 5 first round picks in the next 7 years. One more than LAC actually if you count 2027 that’s top 4 protected which would be a 6th first rounder.

I’m not as sure the next Clippers coach will be better than Ham.

Ehhh I don’t know about all that.

Clippers have a better owner because of his checkbook but new rules are negating that advantage to a degree.

Clips front office has the bigger budget but LAL front office has objectively been more successful. LAL has a championship and more playoff success with less payroll. They’ve also done better through the draft process.

Lakers have a better pick this year than LAC and 5 first round picks in the next 7 years. One more than LAC actually if you count 2027 that’s top 4 protected which would be a 6th first rounder.

I’m not as sure the next Clippers coach will be better than Ham.
Which new rules are going to negate Ballmer’s advantages? He doesn’t have a problem with paying the taxes, unlike the Buss kids, who are expected to avoid paying the repeater tax.

That’s objective? The Clippers have missed the postseason once since Ballmer took over. The Lakers have made the postseason three times during that span. You’re going to have to explain how the Lakers have done objectively better through the draft process. The only advantage the Lakers objectively have here is the championship, albeit in the bubble (*).

There’s no use comparing the future draft picks, because that’s not how the Clippers operate. The Lakers have prioritized their picks, that’s why I brought it up. I’m not sure why you went with seven years. That’s looking too far ahead. They have two first round picks over the next three years and three or four over the next five. Of course, if they wind up with the four over the next five, that will mean they had a really bad year.

We’ll see about the next coach.

Which new rules are going to negate Ballmer’s advantages? He doesn’t have a problem with paying the taxes, unlike the Buss kids, who are expected to avoid paying the repeater tax.

That’s objective? The Clippers have missed the postseason once since Ballmer took over. The Lakers have made the postseason three times during that span. You’re going to have to explain how the Lakers have done objectively better through the draft process. The only advantage the Lakers objectively have here is the championship, albeit in the bubble (*).

There’s no use comparing the future draft picks, because that’s not how the Clippers operate. The Lakers have prioritized their picks, that’s why I brought it up. I’m not sure why you went with seven years. That’s looking too far ahead. They have two first round picks over the next three years and three or four over the next five. Of course, if they wind up with the four over the next five, that will mean they had a really bad year.

The bubble….where the team that was the best team all year won it, and other good teams made deep runs.

There was nothing bizarre about those results.

The bubble….where the team that was the best team all year won it, and other good teams made deep runs.

There was nothing bizarre about those results.
The Bucks didn’t win it that year, silly, they won it the following year.

The new CBA is more than just higher taxes.

You said about LAL “they don’t have draft picks”. That was wrong.

You said Clips have missed playoffs once since Ballmer took over. That’s not true either.

Since Pelinka’s first full year as GM (and he took over a complete rebuild) Lakers missed playoffs 3x but have a ring. Clippers missed playoffs 2x in same stretch but trophy case is perpetually empty.

And if winning in the bubble was so easy then why couldn’t the Clippers closeout a 3-1 series lead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom