NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 181 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

The new CBA is more than just higher taxes.

You said about LAL “they don’t have draft picks”. That was wrong.

You said Clips have missed playoffs once since Ballmer took over. That’s not true either.

Since Pelinka’s first full year as GM (and he took over a complete rebuild) Lakers missed playoffs 3x but have a ring. Clippers missed playoffs 2x in same stretch but trophy case is perpetually empty.

And if winning in the bubble was so easy then why couldn’t the Clippers closeout a 3-1 series lead?
I’m not worried about the Clippers’ ability to navigate the new CBA. Even if it becomes an issue, it’s not going to create an advantage for the Lakers, who are already concerned about the same rules.

I should have said all of their draft picks, which is what I meant.

I said they’ve missed the postseason once. That was by design and it’s accurate.

I never said winning in the bubble was easy.

Just going to skip over the whole draft process thing, eh? You probably don’t want to compare trades and free agent signings either.

That's not a parody account? I listened to the local airwaves today while this was the topic. People in Denver are clueless, they hate Melo. The main narrative is, he wanted to play in NY or Lala wanted him to move to NY so she could have a career.

So a host who I can't stand (SU alum) I ended up agreeing with for once. He said do you really want to start the conversation of all the athletes who left Denver?

They don't want to blame the front office for building a team that couldn't compete with the 2, 7 footers in LA for 8 years. The guy played his ass off (not according to Karl) and made the playoffs every single season. All the while bringing record crowds to the arena that was previously a ghost town and advertised the away teams on billboards around town to draw people in. Pathetic

Nuggets beat LA on May 22 and Game 1 of the Finals is on June 1. Man that's a lot of time off. I feel like it's too much and the potential to lose Game 1 due to rustiness may be an issue.

Which new rules are going to negate Ballmer’s advantages? He doesn’t have a problem with paying the taxes, unlike the Buss kids, who are expected to avoid paying the repeater tax.

That’s objective? The Clippers have missed the postseason once since Ballmer took over. The Lakers have made the postseason three times during that span. You’re going to have to explain how the Lakers have done objectively better through the draft process. The only advantage the Lakers objectively have here is the championship, albeit in the bubble (*).

There’s no use comparing the future draft picks, because that’s not how the Clippers operate. The Lakers have prioritized their picks, that’s why I brought it up. I’m not sure why you went with seven years. That’s looking too far ahead. They have two first round picks over the next three years and three or four over the next five. Of course, if they wind up with the four over the next five, that will mean they had a really bad year.

We’ll see about the next coach.

If they're over the second apron, they wont have any mid level at all, their draft pick 7 years out will be frozen from trading, (and moved to the end of the round) they won't be able to take back more salary in a trade than they send out, they wont be able to aggregate salaries to trade for a single player, and they wouldnt be able to sign anyone in the buyout market, and they couldn't sign any bought out player whose salary was above the non taxpayer MLE (like Russ this season).

The taxes also do go significantly up, I wouldnt be 100% sure Ballmer will continue to be willing to pay, but that seems like less of an issue.

I'm also intentionally not getting into any Laker vs Clipper thing, just answering the bolded question

Nuggets beat LA on May 22 and Game 1 of the Finals is on June 1. Man that's a lot of time off. I feel like it's too much and the potential to lose Game 1 due to rustiness may be an issue.
Depending on how soon Miami finishes off the Celtics, they could have plenty of time to fly to Denver and adjust to the altitude.

If they're over the second apron, they wont have any mid level at all, their draft pick 7 years out will be frozen from trading, (and moved to the end of the round) they won't be able to take back more salary in a trade than they send out, they wont be able to aggregate salaries to trade for a single player, and they wouldnt be able to sign anyone in the buyout market, and they couldn't sign any bought out player whose salary was above the non taxpayer MLE (like Russ this season).

The taxes also do go significantly up, I wouldnt be 100% sure Ballmer will continue to be willing to pay, but that seems like less of an issue.

I'm also intentionally not getting into any Laker vs Clipper thing, just answering the bolded question
The Hollinger article is behind a paywall, so I appreciate the summary. I did find the information elsewhere and maintain that I’m not worried about the Clippers navigating the new rules. They’re creative.

Just going through the list, there aren’t that many recent moves that would have been prevented by these rules. For example, you mentioned Westbrook. The front office didn’t even want him. Had the rule already been in place, Lue, George, and others wouldn’t have been able to lobby for the move.

Last edited:
The Hollinger article is behind a paywall, so I appreciate the summary. I did find the information elsewhere and maintain that I’m not worried about the Clippers navigating the new rules. They’re creative.

Just going through the list, there aren’t that many recent moves that would have been prevented by these rules. For example, you mentioned Westbrook. The front office didn’t even want him. Had the rule already been in place, Lue, George, and others wouldn’t have lobbied for the move.

They are definitely creative. I think it will hamstring them.

In looking at their roster, I believe the trade for Powell and Covington wouldnt have been allowed. I dont think they would've been allowed to sign Batum when they did (not clear on this). They wouldn't have been able to sign John Wall in the first place and the trade they made to send him and Kennard out to bring Gordon in wouldn't have been kosher.

It will make adding pieces more difficult. They have liked doing trades like the Powell/Covington one where they just take on more salary, those are out the window. It will definitely hurt them, but if Ballmer continues to not GAF about paying the tax it may not be fatal.

They are definitely creative. I think it will hamstring them.

In looking at their roster, I believe the trade for Powell and Covington wouldnt have been allowed. I dont think they would've been allowed to sign Batum when they did (not clear on this). They wouldn't have been able to sign John Wall in the first place and the trade they made to send him and Kennard out to bring Gordon in wouldn't have been kosher.

It will make adding pieces more difficult. They have liked doing trades like the Powell/Covington one where they just take on more salary, those are out the window. It will definitely hurt them, but if Ballmer continues to not GAF about paying the tax it may not be fatal.
The trades could have still worked with a bit of tweaking. You’re right about Wall…a move that didn’t work out anyway. You’re also right about Batum, although that’s going back a ways.

The NBA finals are the best 6 weeks of the year.

Also I'm exaggerating but there's like a week between games it feels like.

Just a silly thought, Lebron should be traded to Golden State, for Jordan Poole, Kuminga, and a draft pick... Lol

Attachments

• DURPcKnU0AA8RTB.jpg
    DURPcKnU0AA8RTB.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 18
The NBA finals are the best 6 weeks of the year.

Also I'm exaggerating but there's like a week between games it feels like.

Yeah it can be brutal. There are two days off between every game except for between game 3 and 4.

I kind of go back and forth on it, it is annoying as a fan to have the extended breaks, it can make the series lose some flow. At the same time, it always comes at the end of a long season, its the most important series of the year (theoretically at least), it isn't the worst thing that the players get some extra rest.

Ok, Nick Wright.

Saw that.

BTW, why would LA do that trade?

They are getting back no difference makers and no future picks. Would it be to build around AD and add some depth and hope Austin Reeves makes another leap? That's still not good enough. And the Lakers have always been a team that builds through getting a super elite player in free agency outside of Magic.

Also, extending GSW's window by having Bron pick up production from the fall off from Klay and Draymond? Doesn't seem ideal for the Lakers.

I dont even think the trade would be legal, the Warriors would be over the second apron and shouldnt be able to aggregate players to take on Lebron's deal.

I know its not happening anyway, I'm more saying it to make the point there will be problems with teams over the second apron doing trades.

I dont even think the trade would be legal, the Warriors would be over the second apron and shouldnt be able to aggregate players to take on Lebron's deal.

I know it’s not happening anyway, I'm more saying it to make the point there will be problems with teams over the second apron doing trades.
Are those new rules in effect this off-season? I don’t recall. At any rate I expect Lebron to stay with the Lakers.

Are those new rules in effect this off-season? I don’t recall. At any rate I expect Lebron to stay with the Lakers.

So I went back and checked after I posted this. The aggregation rule doesn't come into play until next summer. But the salary matching rule goes down from 125% to 110% in a trade starting this summer. (And then in 24 it goes down to 100%, so if you're over either apron you cant get back more in salary than you send out)

These rules are gonna make it really hard to keep expensive teams together. Like what happens if Jaylen Brown signs the max and you have 2 guys making the 35% max? Teams get real expensive really quickly

So I went back and checked after I posted this. The aggregation rule doesn't come into play until next summer. But the salary matching rule goes down from 125% to 110% in a trade starting this summer. (And then in 24 it goes down to 100%, so if you're over either apron you cant get back more in salary than you send out)

These rules are gonna make it really hard to keep expensive teams together. Like what happens if Jaylen Brown signs the max and you have 2 guys making the 35% max? Teams get real expensive really quickly
Oh I know lol. I’m terrified of the Bucks outlook. The new CBA pretty much killed our chances of winning long term with Giannis. Feels like we’re either gonna have to strip the team down and pray he re-signs for a rebuilding club or just go all in for the next two years and accept that we’ll probably be mediocre for 2025 and beyond.

Oh I know lol. I’m terrified of the Bucks outlook. The new CBA pretty much killed our chances of winning long term with Giannis. Feels like we’re either gonna have to strip the team down and pray he re-signs for a rebuilding club or just go all in for the next two years and accept that we’ll probably be mediocre for 2025 and beyond.

Knicks own the Bucks pick in 25 but its 1-4 protected. Looking like it may be a year too early to be holding that pick.

If I were them; I guess you just have to try and bring the team back to go all out the next 2 years right? You have an MVP in his prime. But the team is low key (or maybe not so low key old). It almost seems like maybe your best bet is to convince Middleton to opt in and reassess after the season? And figure out a way to keep Brook. But if Middleton opts in, that's $111 million for just Holiday/Giannis/Middleton, plus Portis is making $11 million and if you sign Brook you're talking what, $20 million easy? That nearly puts you into the tax with just those 5. Tough spot for sure. But when you have an all time player, you don't have much of a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom