NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

IMG_3619.jpeg

They have to have something wrong on the backend of their website. This is the second time something like this has happened in the last couple weeks.
They never switched out the link from the last game to the new graphic, it's in the "you had one job" category in the web content world

Just finished reading all 15 pages. Some random thoughts of my own...

- A week ago, my hope/prediction was that we would win one of the last two on the road. I thought that would be gtech, but whatever, gladly take nc state. Then we win both home games and then split the final two road games. I still think that's very do-able, to get us to 20 wins and 11 in the acc. With a deep run in the acc tournament, who knows, maybe we could sniff the bubble.

- No offense intended, but the thread about this season being a bust for Red was just silly and way too premature.

- I really thought that Mintz was going to cost us the game last night. When he started playing hero ball, you could tell what the strategy was for the rest of the game. I though he reverted to this style way too early (10-11 minutes to go). The obvious problem is that he wasn't getting a lot of calls. I'm glad he got his points, but our offense became so limited during this time.

- Something I don't get about Mintz is that his current style of play does not translate to the nba. He should know that. I caught a couple of his games when he was testing the nba draft. He showcased much more of a facilitator style of play for the nba execs. Why he has reverted back to hero ball is baffling to me. I can't imagine any nba team thinking that "ooh, we need this guy".

- Love Brown but he's been a bit off the last two games. Hopefully he can get back soon to his normal play, because we will need him!

- I understand NC St adjusted their D to keep Bell from knocking down more 3's, but it just didn't look like guys were even trying to find him.

- What was up with Bell going negative and rolling his eyes during a timeout. I like Bell and would really like to have him on the team next year, but these issues (DURING a GAME!) he keeps having are getting old.

- I don't understand what's happening with Cuffe. Is he in the dog house? Seems like he should get more run, especially with how limited we are.

- I just love Cope. He should start, clearly.

What has happened to Judah's three point shot? I know he's not Steph Curry and never will be, but there were times late last year and earlier this year when I felt like he was turning into a serviceable outside shooter.

He has made 3 out of his last 25 three point attempts over the past 10 games.

What has happened to Judah's three point shot? I know he's not Steph Curry and never will be, but there were times late last year and earlier this year when I felt like he was turning into a serviceable outside shooter.

Any photo of him shooting shows his body is literally sideways, not squared up to the target at all. Clearly Gmac hasn’t even been able to fix it, and it’s been 2 years, so not holding my breath even if he decides to come back.

Cope's breakaway dunk made SportsCenter Top 10.
IMO his crazy reverse layup was the better choice due to degree of difficulty -and at a critical point.

Bell put on a phenomenal shooting display-
but I prefer Cope's 26" stat line/effort over Bell's 40" stat line/effort.

Yeah I thought last season he showed great improvement on his three point shooting. Finished the season 14 for 30 (47%) from three in the last 12 games after starting off 6 for 35 (17%). Clearly that second half of the season didn't really translate to this season.

Any photo of him shooting shows his body is literally sideways, not squared up to the target at all. Clearly Gmac hasn’t even been able to fix it, and it’s been 2 years, so not holding my breath even if he decides to come back.
Yep, you can get in as many reps as you want, but if you're practicing poor form, nothing will improve. Squaring his body, the ball's rotation, it's just not there. Some will point to the FT % and mid-range, but commonly players will compensate in form when moving behind the line to adjust for the distance.

A guy like Copeland with solid form, is far likelier to make a 'jump' in 3pt shooting than Mintz

Yeah, it's been really bad as of late. His percentage for the year is now under 30% at 29.6%. For his career, he's at 29.9%. Not exactly what the nba wanted to see. That and not facilitating the ball well. Looking at his stats this year compared to last year, he's taken a slight step back in most categories.

I heard on the ACC network that Copelands Godfather is Rod Strickland. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone confirm?

If so, he will be in the NBA in a few years.

This is the same fan base that heckled Kueth by calling him a “tar baby”….so as you said, don’t know what was said.
How does that work when 3/4 of your own team is black?

Every tendency he needed to break from he comes back to including the twist on his shot. I hope he can maximize his potential and play in the league but he probably needs to do it in the G league and be heavily coached for a while to break away from the bad habits and form

Let us not forget that we actually miss Carey. Hima, God love him, is really limited.
I thought Hima was quite serviceable last season, but foul prone, and expected him to improve this season.

After reading this entire thread, I thought I should point out that ESPN is reporting that:

Judah had 4 assists in 28 min.
Cope had 1 assist in 26 min.

And there are some 30 or 40 posts about Judah not passing the ball and none about Cope.

After reading this entire thread, I thought I should point out that ESPN is reporting that:

Judah had 4 assists in 28 min.
Cope had 1 assist in 26 min.

And there are some 30 or 40 posts about Judah not passing the ball and none about Cope.
I would guess if Judah shot 10-13 like Cope and not 4-13 there would be less of those posts. Surprised Cope only had one assist though.

I heard on the ACC network that Copelands Godfather is Rod Strickland. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone confirm?

If so, he will be in the NBA in a few years.

I heard that too but it was confusing who they were talking about. Copeland, Bell or Kyrie Irving. They were talking about all 3. Strickland is Irving’s godfather.

Most of the time it isn’t bell just standing there. Most of the time it’s where he is supposed to be doing what he is supposed too. We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?

Well, it's not like Bell appears to get along with the coaches very well, from what we've seen lately.

I was yelling at the TV there. Both Bell and Brown had mismatches and JJ just stood there pounding the ball into the court. Then, the NC State defenders switched, leaving both momentarily open, and JJ still didn't pass either one the ball! Maddening!

I remember that play, too. Really frustrating.

No doubt, but that's obviously not sustainable given the roster Red has left to work with. Most nights the opposite will be true.
The best start all year in a game was when Judah was benched for some reason and didn't start.
The best lineup would be 3 guards , Bell and Brown. With Q handling the ball, and JJ, and Judah as off guards.
That would give you 3 shooters on the floor, and a penetrater in Q who would pass the ball.

The best start all year in a game was when Judah was benched for some reason and didn't start.
The best lineup would be 3 guards , Bell and Brown. With Q handling the ball, and JJ, and Judah as off guards.
That would give you 3 shooters on the floor, and a penetrater in Q who would pass the ball.
Who are these 3 shooters you speak of?;)

Well, it's not like Bell appears to get along with the coaches very well, from what we've seen lately.
I've heard Red talk about how hard Bell is on himself. Not sure how you know he doesn't get along with Red or his other coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom