NC State Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts

You should get a team and coach it.
I have seen nothing that suggests Red’s minutes are pre-ordained. Very much situational, especially in the 2nd half.
Bell was like +20 for the game and Q was -9...meanwhile, the "defensive stopping" lineup was giving up layup after layup down the stretch...idk...i think the 2nd half was a prime example of theory not matching reality.

Ive seen it a few times this year when Q is having a mess of a game but Red leaves him in regardless.

Q is very hot and cold...sometimes the best player on the court...but also sometimes one of the worst...

sometimes this season, Red's sub patterns have been baffling...although he has done decent with it overall.

Bell was fine on defense last night. Bell didn’t have a turnover. NCSt scored 30 points the last 10 minutes. I still can’t figure out sitting Bell the last 13 minutes.
Red has a call-in show every week.

People who are complaining about subbing are the same people who complained that JB never used his bench. If you are going to sub, someone has to come out of the game.
yeah I mean when you are 76th in the country theres going to be things to nitpick

there's going to be areas of improvement

even after wins

im not "complaining" to complain

just trying to make observations that might be useful in terms of narrowing the gap from where they are to the teams above them in the rankings

and the margins are thin...so the nitpicking is basically all there is going to be

OR we could just live in black and white world like Pleasantville...and enjoy the NIT

and there's something to be said for that...but I truly believe this team can raise its ceiling from here despite the flaws

yeah I mean when you are 76th in the country theres going to be things to nitpick

there's going to be areas of improvement

even after wins

im not "complaining" to complain

just trying to make observations that might be useful in terms of narrowing the gap from where they are to the teams above them in the rankings

and the margins are thin...so the nitpicking is basically all there is going to be

OR we could just live in black and white world like Pleasantville...and enjoy the NIT

and there's something to be said for that...but I truly believe this team can raise its ceiling from here despite the flaws

Nobody walked into this season thinking we were ACC championship contenders. The general consensus was a good team with some obvious flaws, but one that should maybe have a chance for a postseason berth. Any more than that would be a big overachievement.
Obviously we'd love to gel, play our best ball at the right time, and maybe make a run.
We beat a team with an identical record and we basically led throughout. Why is that so hard to accept w/out the requisite biotching and moaning?

14-6, 20 games in with hardest schedule in probably a decade, I don’t know how this could go any better to be honest. I would have been happy with .500 record at this point. I know I’ve shared that before but this team is showing some resiliency after they lose and that’s what I care about

laziness on the part of the graphics person not to look at the head to head tiebreakers, I hate to say it but probably a millenial. I work with too many of them who don’t do their homework and are not detailed. I am so glad I am retiring in 3 years so I don’t have to work with them anymore. Sorry, didn't mean to rant but it's what I see every day.
There is no tiebreaker at this point. The season isn’t over.
Also, why TF does it matter? Such complaints are childish.

People who are complaining about subbing are the same people who complained that JB never used his bench. If you are going to sub, someone has to come out of the game.
No one complained about JB leaving in guys who were hot and playing well though

14-6, 20 games in with hardest schedule in probably a decade, I don’t know how this could go any better to be honest. I would have been happy with .500 record at this point. I know I’ve shared that before but this team is showing some resiliency after they lose and that’s what I care about
Man of reason. Thank you Bulldog. I don’t know if the complainers are folks who thought JB should have been allowed to die on court, or who can’t conceive how hard it is to do what Red is doing, or just can’t accept this team has a lot of flaws.
Red hasn’t padded his record with preseason cupcakes. He is doing a heck of a job.
SU is currently tied for 6th, with the tie-breaker over two of the teams they are tied with. They are 1/2 game out of 5th. They were picked 10th in ACC pre-season.
Knocking on coach of the year votes.

Last edited:
More on Pete Carey. It looks like he has the green light to shoot jump shots, and he has a good stroke. I saw him setting up at the 3 point line and call for the ball a couple of times like he was going to shoot if he got it passed to him. I had heard he was in a Lydon mold, a big man who can shoot from distance. If he can make some jump shots and draw his defender out of the paint, that would open things up for the guards. It would be huge for the offense.

It is possible to question why Bell didn’t play for the majority of the 2nd half while also being a supporter of Red.
I don’t have a problem with it, but I think with a big lead it’s the right play to go with Copeland for ball handling and defense. Bell isn’t going to help us much when teams up pressure.

More on Pete Carey. It looks like he has the green light to shoot jump shots, and he has a good stroke. I saw him setting up at the 3 point line and call for the ball a couple of times like he was going to shoot if he got it passed to him. I had heard he was in a Lydon mold, a big man who can shoot from distance. If he can make some jump shots and draw his defender out of the paint, that would open things up for the guards. It would be huge for the offense.
I have been bullish on him based solely on his HS Jr year highlights. Stand out athlete who attacked the rim. Good size.
Loved his quotes today.
1) He talked about what he noticed about how Brown was playing Burns. Tells you he is locked in and not just biding time on the bench. That’s what serious and successful players do.
2) Was not intimidated or overwhelmed.
3) Awareness of situations.
4) Played aggressively, but not recklessly.

I don’t have a problem with it, but I think with a big lead it’s the right play to go with Copeland for ball handling and defense. Bell isn’t going to help us much when teams up pressure.
I disagree a bit. Bell has proven to hit the corner 3 on press breaks. I can understand using Q instead of Bell because he plays better defense, I’m just not sure why he stuck with Q for almost the entire last 15 minutes when our offense was sputtering.

I’m having to watch the replay bc I missed the game. I don’t know if it’s JT not knowing or being afraid.

So far, when he does get the ball, he’s immediately looking to pass and nothing else.

He also had a run out where he could have sprinted towards the hoop behind the D and potentially got a pass, but he slowed up and floated out to the perimeter.

Maybe it’s both. But you can’t get better if you are scared out there or not looking to be in the action.

I dunno. It’s not great with him right now.
Hit the nail on the head with JT He is playing scared and shying from opportunities to score so he will not get pulled. Only way this will change is to have Judah and JJ put him in a great position to score. It is like priming a pump. We need to help him get over this mental block for him to be a plus for the team.

I have been bullish on him based solely on his HS Jr year highlights. Stand out athlete who attacked the rim. Good size.
Loved his quotes today.
1) He talked about what he noticed about how Brown was playing Burns. Tells you he is locked in and not just biding time on the bench. That’s what serious and successful players do.
2) Was not intimidated or overwhelmed.
3) Awareness of situations.
4) Played aggressively, but not recklessly.

Interesting how the negatoids who wrote him off after one game are nowhere to be found today.
Carey gives you size, hustle, sets picks, moves well, and will play better as he catches up to the speed of the games.
I like his potential and think he can contribute.

Hit the nail on the head with JT He is playing scared and shying from opportunities to score so he will not get pulled. Only way this will change is to have Judah and JJ put him in a great position to score. It is like priming a pump. We need to help him get over this mental block for him to be a plus for the team.
He doesn't put himself in great position to score. His teammates can only do so much.

I'm sure confidence isn't helping him right now, but really watch him on the offensive end. Watch his feet. Watch how infrequently he catches a pass with his feet square to the basket. If you haven't picked up on it, you're going to be surprised.

I've never seen a perimeter player in our uniform make the game as difficult for himself as he does. Mechanically he's a mess.

I think the footwork issue is fixable, but not likely in season at this point. Even once he gets that figured out, he's not suddenly going to consistently hit double figure points against ACC competition.

He doesn't put himself in great position to score. His teammates can only do so much.

I'm sure confidence isn't helping him right now, but really watch him on the offensive end. Watch his feet. Watch how infrequently he catches a pass with his feet square to the basket. If you haven't picked up on it, you're going to be surprised.

I've never seen a perimeter player in our uniform make the game as difficult for himself as he does. Mechanically he's a mess.

I think the footwork issue is fixable, but not likely in season at this point. Even once he gets that figured out, he's not suddenly going to consistently hit double figure points against ACC competition.

Agreed 144%.

Our designated shooter dudes used to come around a screen ready to fire. Coon-dog ran a marathon every game working to get open doing that.

JT gets the ball, turns, and -
passes it.
Or takes 2-3 dribbles, and passes it.

He’s a self-check.
Other teams don’t really even need to worry about him scoring.
At all.

In a post-game thoughts thread you should be allowed to point out flaws. Maybe if this was a total feel-good win where everything clicked it would be odd to complain.

It wasn't! Good teams do better. Syracuse usually has, over its history. Why can't we allow people to point that out?

Because just got our asses kicked last game. So a game where you play great defense and go on a 13-0 run to close out the first half, and lead by 15 points or so for almost the entire second half is what this team needed.

The standings don't include point differential. Maybe the NET does, but the most important stat is who gets the "W".

Benny was good but Taylor did next to nothing and Bell was better than Copeland. we built our lead at the end of the first half when Bell came back in and maintained it at the beginning of the second half when Bell was in.

Yeah, I'm losing faith in Taylor, because he seems to be losing faith in himself. I think he should probably transfer this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom