NCAA 2nd Round Games for Sat March 18 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 2nd Round Games for Sat March 18

If you went back to playing in the actual regions like they used to, you could reseed each round. So there wouldn't be any travel issues. You can have 1/16, 4/13, 5/12, 8/9 all in one site and 2/15, 3/14, 6/11, 7/10 all in another. IMO that would be a better way to determine a champ. I hate that FAU could make a S16 by beating an 8 and a 16 seed. Or that San Diego State can by beating a 12 and a 13 seed. Or that Missouri can by beating a 10 and a 15 seed. That is more luck of the draw.

So we would have...

East
Tennessee vs FDU
Duke vs FAU
Marquette vs Michigan State (same)
Kansas State vs Kentucky (same)

South
Alabama vs Furman
San Diego State vs Maryland
Baylor vs Princeton
Creighton vs Missouri

Midwest
Houston vs Auburn (same)
Indiana vs Miami (same)
Texas vs Pitt
Xavier vs Penn State

West
Kansas vs Arkansas (same)
UConn vs Saint Mary's (same)
UCLA vs Northwestern (same)
Gonzaga vs TCU (same)

For the S16 you stay in your region but those teams are reseeded. Same for the F4 getting reseeded.

The great thing is you can still for the most part keep the brackets. Since most people fill it out digitally it is pretty easy to have the matchups auto fill.

Let's say you picked Purdue, Memphis, Tennessee, Oral Roberts, Providence, Kansas State, USC, Marquette in your bracket. Then the next round in your bracket it would be Purdue vs Oral Roberts, Tennessee vs Memphis, Marquette vs Providence, Kansas State vs USC. Next you have Purdue vs Providence and Kansas State vs Tennessee. And finally Purdue vs Tennessee, with Tennessee in the F4. So you would be 3-5 in that 1st round, still have two S16 teams left, one E8, and one F4.

I liked it when they stuck to geography. The champions of each regional would the championship team of that region of the country and you could have great post-season rivalries between the major conferences of the region. The Final Four was a meeting of champions. They ended that because of the UCLA dynasty. People though the Bruins had a competitive advantage out west. But, let's face it, those UCLA teams didn't need it. Wooden was 20-2 in the Final Four, (not counting consolation games). He had a competitive advantage over the entire country.

SU currently has no one on this team that could handle Tennessee’s physicality. Duke dominated us with their physicality and The Vols are knocking them all over the place. If we want to play effective man defense, we have to get physically bigger and stronger.

Duke is also flopping all over the place but I've always said that flopping is often used to exaggerate real contact so the officials can't ignore it, rather than to invent contact that never existed, (al la Greg Paulus).

Way to close the half, Vols.

Can’t help but think Barnes is going to screw this up.

He didn't touch the guy. On top of that how can an O player trip a D player?
Most fouls aren’t intentional but they are fouls none the less.You think you should be able to hit a guy in the face with the ball and it be legal?

Most fouls aren’t intentional but they are fouls none the less.You think you should be able to hit a guy in the face with the ball and it be legal?
Offensive players trip guys all the time when setting illegal screens

If you went back to playing in the actual regions like they used to, you could reseed each round. So there wouldn't be any travel issues. You can have 1/16, 4/13, 5/12, 8/9 all in one site and 2/15, 3/14, 6/11, 7/10 all in another. IMO that would be a better way to determine a champ. I hate that FAU could make a S16 by beating an 8 and a 16 seed. Or that San Diego State can by beating a 12 and a 13 seed. Or that Missouri can by beating a 10 and a 15 seed. That is more luck of the draw.

So we would have...

East
Tennessee vs FDU
Duke vs FAU
Marquette vs Michigan State (same)
Kansas State vs Kentucky (same)

South
Alabama vs Furman
San Diego State vs Maryland
Baylor vs Princeton
Creighton vs Missouri

Midwest
Houston vs Auburn (same)
Indiana vs Miami (same)
Texas vs Pitt
Xavier vs Penn State

West
Kansas vs Arkansas (same)
UConn vs Saint Mary's (same)
UCLA vs Northwestern (same)
Gonzaga vs TCU (same)

For the S16 you stay in your region but those teams are reseeded. Same for the F4 getting reseeded.

The great thing is you can still for the most part keep the brackets. Since most people fill it out digitally it is pretty easy to have the matchups auto fill.

Let's say you picked Purdue, Memphis, Tennessee, Oral Roberts, Providence, Kansas State, USC, Marquette in your bracket. Then the next round in your bracket it would be Purdue vs Oral Roberts, Tennessee vs Memphis, Marquette vs Providence, Kansas State vs USC. Next you have Purdue vs Providence and Kansas State vs Tennessee. And finally Purdue vs Tennessee, with Tennessee in the F4. So you would be 3-5 in that 1st round, still have two S16 teams left, one E8, and one F4.
Reseeding would destroy the very thing that makes the tournament great. I don’t want to hear “It would help ensure that the best teams advance.” I couldn’t care less about the “best teams.” You want to advance. Win the game in front of you.

Reseeding would destroying the very thing that makes the tournament great. I don’t want to hear “It would help ensure that the best teams advance.” I couldn’t care less about the “best teams.” You want to advance. Win the game in front of you.
JB nailed this with a quote during the 2004 tournament. #8 Alabama knocked off the #1 seed (Stanford?) and a reporter asked JB if he was relieved to be facing Alabama in the Sweet 16 instead of the the #1:

“No, that just means they’re a better team.”

Reseeding would destroy the very thing that makes the tournament great. I don’t want to hear “It would help ensure that the best teams advance.” I couldn’t care less about the “best teams.” You want to advance. Win the game in front of you.
Would be the worst decision known to man.March Madness is all about the bracket and has made the NCAA billions of dollars and to change it would be ludicrous.

I love the idea of reseeding. Every January I’m so excited to look at the nfl playoff bracket, pick my first round winners and then reseed the matchups accordingly for the divisional round.

JB nailed this with a quote during the 2004 tournament. #8 Alabama knocked off the #1 seed (Stanford?) and a reporter asked JB if he was relieved to be facing Alabama in the Sweet 16 instead of the the #1:

“No, that just means they’re a better team.”
I wish he was wrong on that one. Sighh

How many sports have had re-seeding?
I seem to remember hockey had it for a while before their current format.
Did the NBA have it for a while?

Anyway, I'm not in favour of it at the NCAA tournament.
Under a re-seeding it would be;

#4 Tennessee vs #16 FDU
#5 Duke vs #9 FAU

My 4 comments would be:
#1 FDU made the tournament fair and square. They just beat the #1 seed -- why should they not be rewarded by it?
#2 Why should a #4 seed in Tennessee get to face a #16 seed in round 2, while other 4 seeds are facing #5 seeds or #12 seeds? What did they do to earn that advantage compared to other 4 seeds.
#3. Why is the NCAA messing with changing the bracket when its what brings in the interest of so many casual fans?
#4. For $$ reasons, I don't think the NCAA has any desire to change the pod system which it would need to do.

Last edited:
My 4 comments would be:
#1 FDU made the tournament fair and square. They just beat the #1 seed -- why should they not be rewarded by
While it was “fair”, it’s interesting that FDU didn’t even win their tourney and got in on a technicality

These are two very good teams. Really crummy draw to play this early but winner can easily get to F4

To be fair they both teams also got the great draw of Purdue as the #1 seed, who was the weakest #1 seed resume wise. (This was assuming Purdue would win and get to the sweet 16 game against them - now its an even sweeter draw for them).

To be fair they both teams also got the great draw of Purdue as the #1 seed, who was the weakest #1 seed resume wise. (This was assuming Purdue would win and get to the sweet 16 game against them - now its an even sweeter draw for them).
Yeah but as I stated correctly before the tourney, this was a brutal 2nd game for both teams

You were dead on with Purdue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom