NCAA to Allow Schools to Pay Athletes | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to Allow Schools to Pay Athletes

Come join the discussion on the dark (football) side...

This is the beginning of the end.

1) players from now on are employees.
2) with virtually unlimited labor costs schools will no longer make a profit from money sports.

Pro teams are not generally profitable but valuation increases over time. Colleges cannot sell their teams to new owners. There is no market for college teams.

Lacking both collegial status and economic profitability It is not unreasonable that many schools will see no reason to keep basketball and football teams.

This is the beginning of the end.

1) players from now on are employees.
2) with virtually unlimited labor costs schools will no longer make a profit from money sports.

Pro teams are not generally profitable but valuation increases over time. Colleges cannot sell their teams to new owners. There is no market for college teams.

Lacking both collegial status and economic profitability It is not unreasonable that many schools will see no reason to keep basketball and football teams.

College players becoming employees was and is the only sustainable path forward. This doesn’t remove NIL from the equation but could/should lead to some reforms that limit the current Wild West free agency in college sports. This is a step forward, not backward.

Limits will always be raised or avoided. Ever rising labor costs will make it unprofitable. Free markets without profit are unstable. If there are no rewards why undertake the endeavor and take the financial risk?

Pro teams spend all their revenue. Winning creates value which is recouped when the owners sell.

Without profit, colleges will have no incentive to hire employees to play sports. Being that they are employees rather than student athletes, why should they even be required to attend class? Class time and study time creates less valuable employees.

The entire system was and is unsustainable. It existed as long as athletes were willing to sacrifice their services.

Last edited:
NCAA are still claiming student athletes are not employees. Even after agreeing to pay them in the future. That still leaves them open to future antitrust lawsuits but this is what they are still trying to negotiate with the government.

Georgia can afford the 20+ million proposed salary cap. Teams outside the Big (10), SEC, probably not. Syracuse, with our Dome? Ticket prices are going to rise. Many teams are going to drop out from Div. 1. Writing is on the wall.

I can't wait for the first court ruling that says the women's volleyball players have to be paid equally with men's football and basketball. 100% going to happen if payments come directly from schools and not boosters. Big time college sports got so corrupted with money it was bound to destroy itself. And now it probably has. Maybe after it's swept away a return to real amateurism with sports played by real students can reappear.

Will state schools be subject to the state pay grades for employees? Benefits?

I can't wait for the first court ruling that says the women's volleyball players have to be paid equally with men's football and basketball. 100% going to happen if payments come directly from schools and not boosters. Big time college sports got so corrupted with money it was bound to destroy itself. And now it probably has. Maybe after it's swept away a return to real amateurism with sports played by real students can reappear.
Won’t happen because those sports will be eliminated. Olympic sports are going drop like flies.

Will state schools be subject to the state pay grades for employees? Benefits?
How long before schools get sued for firing a player after 4 years?

Cutting the players in directly on the TV money the schools bring in makes plenty of sense.

Sayonara non revenue programs but honestly I don't care. Lacrosse is my favorite sport and its essentially Club at the college level everywhere and even a blueblood D1 team like us only has 12 scholarships to chop up on a 40 man roster... Why the hell should sports noone cares about like track and field be subsidized by the basketball team? Hopefully this gets softball off ESPN/ESPNU/ACCN/SECN every day for 2 months.

I just want the nightmare of uconn blowing everyone out in the tournament to stop. Worried Lville will become uconn lite since they hired a Hurley clone and immediately turned over the roster.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but Olympic sports need to stay because of title IX? Same number of female scholarships need to be available and given as men’s scholarships. That would be roughly 112 scholarships for football, basketball, lacrosse.

Maybe some additional men’s sports are cut. But can’t cut the female sports.

How long before schools get sued for firing a player after 4 years?
Students are also employees when hired through grants etc... correct? They cannot be retained after graduation in this capacity.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but Olympic sports need to stay because of title IX? Same number of female scholarships need to be available and given as men’s scholarships. That would be roughly 112 scholarships for football, basketball, lacrosse.

Maybe some additional men’s sports are cut. But can’t cut the female sports.

Do you need football scholarships anymore? That opens up a lot of potential cuts in other sports. If you give 100 FB players $100k each and then they "pay" their own tuition, the net for them is $50k. Well not in SU's case since tuition is closer to $100k, but for state schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom