ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable

Yes, because they're Notre Dame. The t-shirts will still say "20XX National Champions" and won't feature the asterisk to indicate "of a lesser division than before". They're not just "a school" or "a football team", they're a concept. The academic and athletic donors give to Notre Dame because of what Notre Dame represents. They were "nothing to write home about"-to-terrible between 1956 and 1964, when they hired Ara Parseghian, but people still stuck by them.
I guess that's possible, I don't have a firm conviction either way, but I could see it being viewed in a lesser light. It would seem that most of the best talent would go to play for a team in the $$$ league, that is were most of the NFL players will come from.

But he is saying there will be two camps. One for schools with sports as a business and one for schools who still consider their sports programs part of the school.

Sounds like he sees ND siding with the latter. Might be ND’s first hint they are headed towards B1G membership.

Just a matter of time. You can't have the SEC schools and other big time athletic departments (Ohio St, Miami, Clemson...etc) with say (for example) a football team who when you factor in all of the NIL deals the players have with a combined salary of $20 million. And then have a Northwestern, Indiana, Syracuse, or other program who's football team when you factor in their NIL deals with a combined salary of $30,000.

And that's just the football example, the SEC (and your Ohio St's, Clemson, Miami's and select others) is going to soon take over College basketball (Men's and Woman's) and do the same there. And so on and so forth with the other sports as well on a smaller scale but still paying more than 99% of other schools.

There is going to have to be a split. You will have schools where players are making big money (ie Major League College sports) and the other schools where the money just isn't there (Minor League college sports). You can't have them compete in the same conferences, for the same titles, on the same field as it won't be competitive contests on any level.

And a kid may start off at a "Minor League" school (like Northwestern, Syracuse, Indiana) but after a good season look to make the jump (i.e. be recruited) to one of the "Major League" schools to cash in. This is our new normal.

This is happening now. There is no going back. The SEC schools and other big time sports programs will need (want) to split away to create a new bigger financial pie so they can get a larger piece of THAT pie.

I know many fans will say well I just won't watch and college sports is ruined and for some that may be true. But for most fans, and fans who don't live in a college town they won't care. They will want to watch the best of the best and don't care what the players are getting paid or that half of the "major college programs" are dying a slow death and not playing on equal footing. And with sports gambling is what it is now, "college sports" won't be hurt at all in reality.

College sports since the beginning was a "HOUSE OF CARDS". It wasn't perfect by any means but the set-up worked. Players were getting "paid" with a free education. Could they have loosened things a bit where a coach could buy a kid lunch or dinner, or an airplane ticket for when a parent died so he can fly home and stuff, yeah. But the system was, "free education for play." And with the transfer portal, was it unfair a coach can leave at any time, but a kid is locked in and its hard to transfer? Yes, but that is the system that was at hand and the system that worked. Don't like the rule, don't sign up. The kids knew what they were signing up for.

Once these things were broken, it stopped becoming college sports and its now just semi-pro ball with no salary cap.

I think this could be simplified into just no longer having a unified NC. Eventually I foresee conference realignments based on NIL, revenues etc. There would be one mega conference with say 30 teams in it, and everyone would consider the champion of that conference the NC. Meanwhile, other conferences would crown their own champions. All would still be D1, but the P5 aspect would be obsolete.

While they may want ND badly, it's unlikely they'll get them. ND is against paying the players as employees and wants the players to be required to attend class. While there is a faction of fans on their hard-core board that wants ND to follow the SEC to the new paradigm, even they know and admit in their posts on the board that the administration Will. Not. Do. That. because it's the total antithesis of what Father Hesburgh made Notre Dame into, a school that has a football team instead of the other way around. Before Father Hesburgh, yeah, ND would go with the new paradigm in a heartbeat. After him, no way. Their administration has no problem with being a perennial favorite in "the academic league" and a goodly portion of their donors agree.
Then Notre Dame, the University, needs to step up big time to make certain that semi-pro does not happen. ND cannot do that alone, obviously, and that alone should explain to the idiot fans who worship football independence that no man and no university ever can be an island.

Creating a 3rd division within D1 (and my best guess is that such a new football division would include basketball and perhaps baseball) is one thing; sitting by while the SEC and BT (and SC and Oregon and a few others) create a semi-pro league will be bad for almost everyone and everything save the few who get richer from that semi-pro football.

Those who want to create a semi-pro football league will use endless enticements to get not merely schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, VT, Ok St, Kansas, Washington, UCLA, etc. to go along, but their top focus will be to woo ND. The reality is that the larger the number of schools that are willing to go semi-pro, the greater will be the push to get others on board. ND football people are not going to be anything close to satisfied if they are left playing service academies, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake, BC, SMU, Rice, Tulane, and the MAC.

I see Swarbrick as the kind of power-loving, money-hungry lawyer more than willing to make dirty deals in dark rooms to place ND in the BT and secure it the biggest paychecks.

Then Notre Dame, the University, needs to step up big time to make certain that semi-pro does not happen. ND cannot do that alone, obviously, and that alone should explain to the idiot fans who worship football independence that no man and no university ever can be an island.

Creating a 3rd division within D1 (and my best guess is that such a new football division would include basketball and perhaps baseball) is one thing; sitting by while the SEC and BT (and SC and Oregon and a few others) create a semi-pro league will be bad for almost everyone and everything save the few who get richer from that semi-pro football.

Those who want to create a semi-pro football league will use endless enticements to get not merely schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, VT, Ok St, Kansas, Washington, UCLA, etc. to go along, but their top focus will be to woo ND. The reality is that the larger the number of schools that are willing to go semi-pro, the greater will be the push to get others on board. ND football people are not going to be anything close to satisfied if they are left playing service academies, Northwestern, Vandy, Wake, BC, SMU, Rice, Tulane, and the MAC.

I see Swarbrick as the kind of power-loving, money-hungry lawyer more than willing to make dirty deals in dark rooms to place ND in the BT and secure it the biggest paychecks.
He has had this information all along and he could've moved ND into the ACC to strengthen the league which would have made a statement against the push to semipro, which he didn't. ND will go pro, no doubt, they just have to make it look like they are being forced into it by circumstances beyond their control.

I hope you're right!
I suspect it's not right. If schools really wanted an out they could start that tomorrow. Start unilaterally disarming. Set limits on the number of paid staff positions, cap facilities expenditures indexed to CLI in their areas, agree to uniform NLI rules.

And, most importantly, establish a centralized structure, realign conferences, and pool media money in the way that the pro leagues do in order to create a more-level playing field.

But, of course, that won't happen.

It'll remain seated and hope other like minded schools decide to do the same and create something new that jives with their mission as an academic school.

Plenty of these 'semi pro' type players have very good academics, even though folks may feel better about themselves thinking otherwise.

Michigan (23), Wisconsin (42), Ohio State (49) all rank higher academically than Syracuse at 59 according to US News and World Report 2022 rankings. As does Florida (28), Texas (38), Georgia (48), Florida State and Miami at 55.

Plenty of these 'semi pro' type players have very good academics, even though folks may feel better about themselves thinking otherwise.

Michigan (23), Wisconsin (42), Ohio State (49) all rank higher academically than Syracuse at 59 according to US News and World Report 2022 rankings. As does Florida (28), Texas (38), Georgia (48), Florida State and Miami at 55.

The real question is how far off are the admission requirements for student-athletes from students. I know this was an issue at Wisconsin during the ill-fated Gary Anderson experiment - the admissions department would not bend the rules (enough) to allow some of the players he had recruited.

I can't wait for the ND AD to explain the difference between a 16 team league and a 30 team super-conference to it's loyal "no conference ever" fans

or what's more likely, the ND fans explaining to us how they are different after they join

I can't wait for the ND AD to explain the difference between a 16 team league and a 30 team super-conference to it's loyal "no conference ever" fans

or what's more likely, the ND fans explaining to us how they are different after they join
The difference will be the two checks he holds up to their face and says, which one do you want. If we go this way we get this. If we go that way we get that.

All well and good. But if players are not academically involved, and held to standards of successful completion toward a degree, it matters not. Who cares if the pro player had Michigan on his jersey if he isn’t a student at Michigan. Kind of insulting all the way around, actually.

The size of the check will matter when/if that happens. Therefore, it likely will be the Big 10.

The difference will be the two checks he holds up to their face and says, which one do you want. If we go this way we get this. If we go that way we get that.
They don’t care about money cause they get those sweet donations

The size of the check will matter when/if that happens. Therefore, it likely will be the Big 10.
So if you’re principled to a point, is a principle?

NIL aside, I do wonder if someone at ESPN (and the other networks) is smart enough to realize that if they don’t help to create financial parity across the power 5 at least, they will inevitably killing their own investment
They think it will be a mini NFL.

He has had this information all along and he could've moved ND into the ACC to strengthen the league which would have made a statement against the push to semipro, which he didn't. ND will go pro, no doubt, they just have to make it look like they are being forced into it by circumstances beyond their control.
Exactly.

So if you’re principled to a point, is a principle?
If P-2 comes along and we chose to play along I assume independence will be difficult. Principled? not so much.

Private Alliance
Boston College (MA)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
Northwestern (IL)
Notre Dame (IN)
Duke (NC)
Wake Forest (NC)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Miami (FL)
Tulane (LA)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX

P-5 (12)
Baylor (TX)
Boston College (MA)
Duke (NC)
Miami (FL)
Northwestern (IL)
Notre Dame (IN)
Stanford (CA)
Syracuse (NY)
TCU (TX)
USC (CA)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Wake Forest (NC)

G-5 (6)
BYU (UT)
Liberty (VA)
Rice (TX)
SMU (TX)
Tulane (LA)
Tulsa (OK)

Pittsburgh (PA)

P-5 (12)
Baylor (TX)
Boston College (MA)
Duke (NC)
Miami (FL)
Northwestern (IL)
Notre Dame (IN)
Stanford (CA)
Syracuse (NY)
TCU (TX)
USC (CA)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Wake Forest (NC)

G-5 (6)
BYU (UT)
Liberty (VA)
Rice (TX)
SMU (TX)
Tulane (LA)
Tulsa (OK)

Pittsburgh (PA)

It will never happen but I wouldn't mind an "Eastern" privates league.

Notre Dame
Miami
Syracuse
BC
Northwestern
Wake
Vandy
Duke

Now if Nova jumped up it would be even better, especially for BBall. In that case maybe you add Tulane as well to get to 10, since they are Eastern in makeup.

Edit

Roads trips would be Chicago every year, North Carolina every year, Boston or Philly, Miami or New Orleans, Nashville every other year. We should be able to average a 5-4 record in that league.

Last edited:
It will never happen but I wouldn't mind an "Eastern" privates league.

Notre Dame
Miami
Syracuse
BC
Northwestern
Wake
Vandy
Duke

Now if Nova jumped up it would be even better, especially for BBall. In that case maybe you add Tulane as well to get to 10, since they are Eastern in makeup.
And the old joke is true: lots of New Orleans natives sound like they grew up in Brooklyn.