ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable

Miami is in the "don't care about academics, lets pay these boys" camp

If that were the case they wouldn't have ever fallen. They don't have the money to compete. Personally I think every P5 school would make the jump. But for the purposes of this exercise where SU isn't, I do not think Miami is either.

The semi-pros probably will get W-2s. Right now, the money connected to the grant-in-aid (scholarship, room, board, books, and stipend) is not taxable. NIL money is fully taxable and the entity that pays the NIL money had better issue 1099s/W-2s to the recipients, who had better pay the taxes on it.
Hope they are withholding federal and state taxes from the player’s money - doubt these kids are saving money from their proceeds to pay it. These players will need accountants unless their NIL deals include those services.

***And its member institutions, run by human chancellors and trustees.

Too easy to blame the faceless monolithic NCAA. People, motivated by greed, created this mess.
100%.

Administrators at schools love that the public constantly rails against the NCAA, because it has distracted people from the fact that it is the schools who are almost entirely to blame for the current mess that is collegiate athletics.

No one at the NCAA forced a school to hop conferences, create a cable sports network, or spend a kajillion dollars on facilities.

Ultimately, this is about the lack of centralized, strong leadership across Division 1. The schools have never, ever, wanted that. Say what you will about Roger Goodell, or Adam Silver, but their focus is to grow "the league" and make decisions about the business, and on-field play, that benefits everyone in the league. None of that happens at the collegiate level. It's all self-interest, all the time.

Ask anyone to "fix" college sports and I bet the first thing they'd do is blow up the fragmented, nonsensical, conference structure, and re-align in a geographically logical way that creates on-field parity. If anyone thinks that any of the power schools want that, I got a bridge to sell you.

Hope they are withholding federal and state taxes from the player’s money - doubt these kids are saving money from their proceeds to pay it. These players will need accountants unless their NIL deals include those services.

Kids - ha...a very good percentage will be kicking this money straight upstairs... :)

There are going to be some sad/maddening stories until they figure it out and this "market" stabilizes.

If it's 1099 based, and all of the NIL agreements should be, then no tax is taken out - Federal, State, Local. Plus, there is Self-Employment tax (ie, FICA for us W2 employees).

Kids - ha...a very good percentage will be kicking this money straight upstairs... :)
Let them know how much fun it is to be an employed grownup being paid with W2’s, 1099’s etc. :p No wonder some are choosing not to opt for the draft and lose their room and board, health insurance, training costs etc. Unless you’re going to be a top pick expect to pay big bucks that an agency won’t pick up. Here’s an example for football

If that were the case they wouldn't have ever fallen. They don't have the money to compete. Personally I think every P5 school would make the jump. But for the purposes of this exercise where SU isn't, I do not think Miami is either.
they got a new billionaire making things interesting... they didn't lure the Oregon HC there with their stellar ACC record

Administrators at schools love that the public constantly rails against the NCAA, because it has distracted people from the fact that it is the schools who are almost entirely to blame for the current mess that is collegiate athletics.

That’s because the NCAA is the school administrators.

Until we stop using the term "pod" I refuse to participate in these.
What about "gaggle " or "streak"? Would you be open to either of those terms? How about parliament? Would you accept the use of parliament?

That's my point. The NCAA can only do what it's membership allows them to do. The idea that the NCAA runs college sports is fiction. The schools run college sports and the NCAA is them.
This is why $EC schools tend to skate on football infractions. No one to stand up to them without them losing their poop and leaving the NCAA. Too big to fail and too weak to enforce.

theyve done it before and they can do it again.

1A
1AA
1AAA
Yep. If you look back many years ago, there were always a number of schools in the Top 20 that no longer compete at the P5 level. The Ivys, certainly, but other schools as well. At some point those schools decided that the financial arms race needed to be a player in what was essentially the entertainment business did not align with their true mission as an educational institution. There is another wakeup call for many others looming on the horizon.

100%.

No one at the NCAA forced a school to hop conferences, create a cable sports network, or spend a kajillion dollars on facilities.

Ultimately, this is about the lack of centralized, strong leadership across Division 1. The schools have never, ever, wanted that. Say what you will about Roger Goodell, or Adam Silver, but their focus is to grow "the league" and make decisions about the business, and on-field play, that benefits everyone in the league. None of that happens at the collegiate level. It's all self-interest, all the time.

Ask anyone to "fix" college sports and I bet the first thing they'd do is blow up the fragmented, nonsensical, conference structure, and re-align in a geographically logical way that creates on-field parity. If anyone thinks that any of the power schools want that, I got a bridge to sell you.

the reckoning, if it's what Swarbrick says, i'm fine with if Syracuse goes with the academic schools vs the corporations.

I envision we will be a Ivy league esque operation at that point where sports will be an activity one can do at Syracuse but will not be the revenue maker it once was. Hopefully our fellow academic operations like Duke, Northwestern, BC, Stanford, ND, et al are part of that and it creates a wonderful conference of like minded operations where student athletes get an education first and foremost

the reckoning, if it's what Swarbrick says, i'm fine with if Syracuse goes with the academic schools vs the corporations.

I envision we will be a Ivy league esque operation at that point where sports will be an activity one can do at Syracuse but will not be the revenue maker it once was. Hopefully our fellow academic operations like Duke, Northwestern, BC, Stanford, ND, et al are part of that and it creates a wonderful conference of like minded operations where student athletes get an education first and foremost
this is pretty black and white to me.

as a private university in the northeast with a tuition currently hovering around 70k, we are going to align with the academic side of things.

if we look 30 years to the future, suny buffalo and suny stony brook might be the alpha dogs and Syracuse is in 1AA looking up at them.

Maybe...or there will be a two tiered system. College Pro Teams and Mostly Academic First College Teams.
This is exactly what's going to happen. The biggest question - will the academic schools refuse or be allowed to play the semi-pro teams. When (not "if") Clemson is paying its players, what purpose does it serve for any school in the current ACC that chooses not to pay their players to play Clemson?

It seems to me that this really all comes down to football.

There's no reason why SU can't be nationally competitive in men's basketball, or any other sport for that matter. But we know all-too-well the challenges we face in football.

I suspect a huge amount of the current issues with college athletics would either go away, or be greatly mitigated, if there was a Super Premiere Semi-Pro Football League of 30-40 schools.

If they used a 50k attendance and $50k minimum pay per player then you could get it down to about 40 schools.

AAC- None

ACC
Yes- Clemson, VA Tech, NC State, FSU
Probably- UNC, Louisville
Maybe- UVA

B12
Yes- Iowa State, WV, Okie State, Texas Tech, BYU
Maybe- K State

B1G
Yes- Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue

CUSA- None

Indy
Yes- Notre Dame

MAC- None

MWC- None

P12
Yes- Washington, USC, Oregon, UCLA
Probably- Colorado, Arizona State

SEC
Yes- Bama, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, UGA, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Miss State, Mizzou, Kentucky, Arkansas, Ole Miss

Sunbelt- None

That cuts it to 37-43 teams. Poor P12 schools would have a lot of travel.

It seems to me that this really all comes down to football.

There's no reason why SU can't be nationally competitive in men's basketball, or any other sport for that matter. But we know all-too-well the challenges we face in football.

I suspect a huge amount of the current issues with college athletics would either go away, or be greatly mitigated, if there was a Super Premiere Semi-Pro Football League of 30-40 schools.

The issue is why wouldn't the semi pro football school also want a semi pro BBall division? Then does SU join just BBall? Both? Neither?

The issue is why wouldn't the semi pro football school also want a semi pro BBall division? Then does SU join just BBall? Both? Neither?
I'm sure they would. But hoops just works differently than football. If there was a 30-40 team Super League, there's still only 200 minutes/game for hoops. 1-AA, or whatever, would still likely be very talented and competitive.

100%.

I'd also add the TV Networks to this, although it does start with the school administrators

One of the largest potential deterrents to the money making schools breaking away from the rest has to be the 3-year post high school rule in place. If the money making schools break away, the NFL could severely impact those schools by relaxing that rule, which would in turn severely impact the product they are able to sell in terms of media rights. An interesting risk that should be considered.