ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable

You are way behind the times. I suggest that you learn about SEC basketball coach salaries today, not from 1990. The SEC has what it wants for football, and now it is acting to make its basketball as well funded as BT basketball.
Agreed...the SEC wants to win more. They pretty much have football now they want to buy some winning in basketball.

I suspect it's not right. If schools really wanted an out they could start that tomorrow. Start unilaterally disarming. Set limits on the number of paid staff positions, cap facilities expenditures indexed to CLI in their areas, agree to uniform NLI rules.

And, most importantly, establish a centralized structure, realign conferences, and pool media money in the way that the pro leagues do in order to create a more-level playing field.

But, of course, that won't happen.
It will eventually happen to the left behinds but it will be reactionary and not visionary.

Agreed...the SEC wants to win more. They pretty much have football now they want to buy some winning in basketball.
The SEC has come on strong the last few years in Basketball. They are getting good coaches and paying them big bucks so they can’t be poached. They are also building up their basketball facilities and landing big time recruits. I’m sure they are playing fast and loose in recruiting. All that football money is spilling over into other sports. The SEC is like a runaway train in collegiate sports and I hate it.

The SEC has come on strong the last few years in Basketball. They are getting good coaches and paying them big bucks so they can’t be poached. They are also building up their basketball facilities and landing big time recruits. I’m sure they are playing fast and loose in recruiting. All that football money is spilling over into other sports. The SEC is like a runaway train in collegiate sports and I hate it.
SEC-It-Just-Means-More.jpg

P-5 (12)
Baylor (TX)
Boston College (MA)
Duke (NC)
Miami (FL)
Northwestern (IL)
Notre Dame (IN)
Stanford (CA)
Syracuse (NY)
TCU (TX)
USC (CA)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Wake Forest (NC)

G-5 (6)
BYU (UT)
Liberty (VA)
Rice (TX)
SMU (TX)
Tulane (LA)
Tulsa (OK)

Pittsburgh (PA)

If P-2 comes along and we chose to play along I assume independence will be difficult. Principled? not so much.
Exaclty. Independent when it suits you isn't a principle.

I can hear it now "This pay to play spin off league of 30 schools isn't a conference - we're all independent!*"

*But we all must schedule and adhere to the league office's rules and can't play everyone we traditionally play. But money!

It's fair to say that right now the SEC 'owns' football and baseball. Only a very healthy - which means wealthier and not falling behind more each year - ACC can challenge the SEC in either. That is all the reason needed by many BT and SEC people to want the ACC gutted.

@Hokiemark posted a link on his web site on this issue.

Some blogger who calls himself BigGameBooker thinks the only ACC schools who will not field semi pro athletic teams are Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse.

BigGameBooker attended Oklahoma. That is all you really need to know about him.

Some blogger who calls himself BigGameBooker thinks the only ACC schools who will not field semi pro athletic teams are Duke, Georgia Tech and Syracuse.

We’re not going Semi Pro but Wake and BC are? Is this guy related to the Dude?

Last edited:
I suspect it's not right. If schools really wanted an out they could start that tomorrow. Start unilaterally disarming. Set limits on the number of paid staff positions, cap facilities expenditures indexed to CLI in their areas, agree to uniform NLI rules.

And, most importantly, establish a centralized structure, realign conferences, and pool media money in the way that the pro leagues do in order to create a more-level playing field.

But, of course, that won't happen.
The pros can only do that because they receive antitrust exemptions from Federal government.

The power to collect TV money by the individual schools (who signed over their rights to the conferences) was given to them by the two Supreme Court cases in 1984. No P5 conference member is willing to pool all the TV money and give shares to the Sunbelt, Conference USA, et al. In their minds, that's even worse than it was before the Supreme Court decisions.

Having the SEC commissioner at the head of this tells you all you need to know. Straight up money grab, and if you can’t hang…you’re doomed.

Pretty sure i saw him on tv around early January

Having the SEC commissioner at the head of this tells you all you need to know. Straight up money grab, and if you can’t hang…you’re doomed.
What is weird is that Greg comes across a really good guy. Know him from Skaneateles. Oh well let them have their pro league. We can get back to doing pranks with Colgate

Of all the scenarios, any one that involves pay for play being ok/new tier AND the NCAA still overseeing it - seems like a horrible idea. I get the SEC and B1G love the NCAA being feckless, but the sport needs less Wild West and more true oversight. I don't think the NCAA can be that for a pay for play system.

One scenario I heard is three big leagues at the top level of at least 60 total schools. Two of the leagues will get the most TV money. The 3rd league will receive less. The big boy leagues realize basketball can earn more than it currently does. This should bode well for Basketball Schools that also play P5 FB. In this scenario Syracuse is safely in off of basketball brand alone. I think Kansas, Duke and Louisville too.

Here’s your Transformation Committee roster. Includes Phillips, the ACC commissioner.

0A15384B-903B-470C-998D-36861320C473.jpeg

He thinks BC would go semi-pro?

One scenario I heard is three big leagues at the top level of at least 60 total schools. Two of the leagues will get the most TV money. The 3rd league will receive less. The big boy leagues realize basketball can earn more than it currently does. This should bode well for Basketball Schools that also play P5 FB. In this scenario Syracuse is safely in off of basketball brand alone. I think Kansas, Duke and Louisville too.
That's what I've said. A split in D1 based on Major Conference football will make that new division's basketball worth even more.

What I do not want is it to be semi-pro.