ND-Clemson | Syracusefan.com

ND-Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
Game of the year, living up to the hype. :cool:

But get it over with so we can watch SNL! :mad:

Now their regular season win streak is over. SU was the last team to beat Clemson in conference play

Clemson will win by double digits in the ACC title game

A football team is a bunch of southern racists? Good game though. Though I’d bet there aren’t many Irish Catholics on ND either...

He was referring of course to the fan bases

ND caught a big break with Trevor out but an even bigger break having a chance to play against the Tiger defense missing 3 starters. That defense is quite ordinarily without those guys and we have seen Syracuse, BC and now ND over perform on offense as a direct result.

On of the keys in the re-match will be if those guys are back for the ACC championship game.

It was a great game. ND showed a lot of heart to come back after losing the lead and stay with Clemson punch for punch. Book took a lot of hits but never backed down and was money in clutch situations.

The best case scenario for the ACC was for ND to win this one, with Clemson winning the ACC championship, setting the teams up to play one more time for the NC. It very well might happen.

I have never been optimistic about ND joining the ACC for football, but the way things are breaking, you never know. Playing an ACC schedule each year gives the Irish a real chance to have a loss and still get into the playoff. The schedule they are facing this year reduces travel, and guarantees them a game against a team in the top 2 or 3 in the county every season.

They would make more money too, especially if them joining for football leads to the ACC adding Texas as a 16th member.

Who knows? It just might happen. Their contract with NBC runs until 2025. Not sure if it has a buyout but Disney has to like the ratings numbers and might make it worth ND’s while to leave NBC early. It only pays ND $15 million a year, which is not a great deal given all that has changed since it was signed.

ND caught a big break with Trevor out but an even bigger break having a chance to play against the Tiger defense missing 3 starters. That defense is quite ordinarily without those guys and we have seen Syracuse, BC and now ND over perform on offense as a direct result.

On of the keys in the re-match will be if those guys are back for the ACC championship game.

It was a great game. ND showed a lot of heart to come back after losing the lead and stay with Clemson punch for punch. Book took a lot of hits but never backed down and was money in clutch situations.

The best case scenario for the ACC was for ND to win this one, with Clemson winning the ACC championship, setting the teams up to play one more time for the NC. It very well might happen.

I have never been optimistic about ND joining the ACC for football, but the way things are breaking, you never know. Playing an ACC schedule each year gives the Irish a real chance to have a loss and still get into the playoff. The schedule they are facing this year reduces travel, and guarantees them a game against a team in the top 2 or 3 in the county every season.

They would make more money too, especially if them joining for football leads to the ACC adding Texas as a 16th member.

Who knows? It just might happen. Their contract with NBC runs until 2025. Not sure if it has a buyout but Disney has to like the ratings numbers and might make it worth ND’s while to leave NBC early. It only pays ND $15 million a year, which is not a great deal given all that has changed since it was signed.
ND also has BC next. That didn’t work out so well in ‘93 after the monumental FSU upset.

I wonder if we could see these teams meet three times this season:
  1. Last night
  2. In the ACC championship, with Clemson squeaking out a win. This leads to:
  3. In the CFB. A 1 loss ND team that beat Clemson COULD have a valid argument for going. Obviously depends on how other teams around the country do. Outside of Florida, I think that Clemson, ND, OH st and Bama are clearly the best teams in the country thus far.

Pretty crazy they could possibly play 3 times. If Clemson beats them in the acc title game they could meet in the playoffs.
I don't think the committee would do that, but it's feasible.

Do you think ND could point to conference TV money (per team) and get a similar deal from NBC?

Lack of situational awareness let an opportunity slip through Clemson's fingers (or should it be claws?).

On the long reception that set up ND's TD at the end of regulation, Clemson should have let the receiver score. With the extra point, the game would've been tied. However, there would've been around 1:04 left on the clock, and Clemson still had two time outs. They would only need a field goal (granted, not a given) to win. At worst, they still go to overtime.

Clemson allowed ND to bleed the clock to :22 before scoring by tackling the receiver. They had so little time left once they got the ball that Dabo took a knee.

Admittedly, it's tough to recognize in the moment, but players and coaches have to understand the situation. The way Clemson moved the ball in the second half, I would have banked on giving my offense a chance to win in regulation if I was Dabo. I'd also have a larger bank account if I was Dabo.

Do you think ND could point to conference TV money (per team) and get a similar deal from NBC?
I believe NBC will try and extend the contract and the two parties might already be in negotiations to do that.

They had a 5 year contract that ran from 2011-2015 and announced it was extended 10 years (to 2025) in April of 2013. These things typically are done years in advance.
Ratings haven’t been great (though I am sure they were last night) but NBC doesn’t have much football to show and I think they will fight to try and retain ND football. They have to be worried about the decision to join the ACC for football for one season.

As a somewhat objective observer, it would seem to me that ND has a better chance to win the NC playing in the ACC conference than playing an independent schedule outside it. It has really hard to build a schedule as an independent that gives you byes when you need them, gives you the proper mix of tough and manageable games, etc. ND gets something close to an ideal schedule each year if they played in the ACC. Very much like Clemson already enjoys. Lots of games against good to very good programs but not too good, if you get my drift.

The ACC really needs a second team at or near the level of Clemson. You need a marquee game to build the conference schedule around. Clemson-ND is just as compelling as Georgia-Alabama, OSU-Michigan and it is something the conference has been missing since FSU and Miami have become mediocre.

I think 1+1 = 3 sometimes and this is one of those times. I understand ND would be giving up years of tradition and would not travel as much across the country. But maybe that travel is one of the reasons ND football has struggled to contend for NCs for a while now. Getting on a level playing field with other football powers is something ND might want to think about.

For the record, if they were to join, I would expect that the ACC would not act on adding a 16th member for a while. It is probably worth noting that the B12 GOR expires on June 30th, 2025. The same year ND’s contract with NBC ends. Funny how that works out.

Congratulations on the National Championship victory by Notre Dame last night! Hats off to you.

My wife’s family says last nights win basically awards the championship to ND. They’re never wrong.

Maybe a bigger issue than Lawrence being out, was Clemson missing their starting DT and two starting LB’s. They need Skalski back.. dude is a stud and Venebeles son is terrible - he was getting worked all game.

As far as the “southern racists” commentary above... Georgia went blue and immediately started playing like a blue state college football team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom