Need for Speed at WR? | Syracusefan.com

Need for Speed at WR?

Van111

Starter
As we all wait on some decisions for various positions, an obvious whole to fill with the class is speed at WR. There has been talk about L. Smith and we have a few other offers out there, Tyree Harris comes to mind, but from what I am reading we aren't first with either of these guys and LS really wants to be a RB, so what do we have as far as other potential wideouts with speed in the 2013 coffer? We loose both starting wideouts this year. Broyld is a possibility but he may be just about anywhere in the lineup. Now that QB is solid, RB is looking good, TE looks very solid, my view is other than OL, we are very thin at WR. Any news on another candidate? I know we have Cornelius coming, but would be nice to add a great prospect at wideout.

As we all wait on some decisions for various positions, an obvious whole to fill with the class is speed at WR. There has been talk about L. Smith and we have a few other offers out there, Tyree Harris comes to mind, but from what I am reading we aren't first with either of these guys and LS really wants to be a RB, so what do we have as far as other potential wideouts with speed in the 2013 coffer? We loose both starting wideouts this year. Broyld is a possibility but he may be just about anywhere in the lineup. Now that QB is solid, RB is looking good, TE looks very solid, my view is other than OL, we are very thin at WR. Any news on another candidate? I know we have Cornelius coming, but would be nice to add a great prospect at wideout.

We're involved with a bunch of WR's. My present concern is offensive line recruiting. We've offered a lot of lineman but they've all committed elsewhere. By my count there's only 4 uncommitted lineman right now with Syracuse offers. We're going to have to work hard to land a couple of these kids or start pounding the pavement.

Agreed Phat ... OL recruiting is a serious concern for 2013

2014. We are involved with a TON of big time kids

OL is a concern, and I think that's why Officer is so important to this class.

That being said, I'm still curious to see what happens with PSU. If the hammer comes down, there are going to be a number of players available from that program that were recruited by SU over the past 2 recruiting cycles. Some of which were OL, Donovan Smith is one for instance. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would not be surprised one bit to see us to the juco route for both OL and WR at this point

I would not be surprised one bit to see us to the juco route for both OL and WR at this point

The only problem with that approach is that we've recruited several JUCO OL over the years [including some long before Marrone got here], and not one of them has really emerged as a true impact player. Most have been decidedly subpar. Tiller being the notable exception, and even he turned out to be pretty much average [yes, I know he got drafted and signed a multi-year contract--very happy for him about that]. It still remains to be seen whether or not a guy like Lousizell Alexander can make an impact in his final year like we need him to.

So while on paper JUCO offensive linemen might seem like a quick fix, at least for SU that hasn't always worked out that way.

The only problem with that approach is that we've recruited several JUCO OL over the years, and not one of them has really emerged as a true impact player. Most have been decidedly subpar. Tiller being the notable exception, and even he turned out to be pretty much average [yes, I know he got drafted and signed a multi-year contract--very happy for him about that]. It still remains to be seen whether or not a guy like Louizel Alexander can make an impact.

So while on paper JUCO offensive linemen might seem like a quick fix, at least for SU that hasn't always worked out that way.

Exactly....Juco OL hardly ever work out because they need a couple of years in the program just like everyone else and then they're gone. It's hard to find immediate impact juco lineman. Probably more suited to plug gaps or for depth.

I think we're a loooong ways away from needing to go the JUCO route for WR's next year though.

It's July and signing day isn't until February. Why worry just yet?

Tiller and Hay started as will Alexander. We can say what we want but three out of four Juco OL will have started which is a much higher percentage than those coming in as frosh. Also if we could have landed Streeter from Albany at WR we would have. The kid is a stud for Temple. Dont forget that Taj came in as a Juco and he worked out pretty well. Im not a huge fan of Jucos but feel as if 3-5 a year is a solid number if you have needs and next year we are going to have some big needs at WR and OL
The only problem with that approach is that we've recruited several JUCO OL over the years [including some long before Marrone got here], and not one of them has really emerged as a true impact player. Most have been decidedly subpar. Tiller being the notable exception, and even he turned out to be pretty much average [yes, I know he got drafted and signed a multi-year contract--very happy for him about that]. It still remains to be seen whether or not a guy like Lousizell Alexander can make an impact in his final year like we need him to.

So while on paper JUCO offensive linemen might seem like a quick fix, at least for SU that hasn't always worked out that way.[/quot

Tiller was very good last year. Do not diminish that by calling him "average".

We are not going to get JUCO OL kids able to play two years in two at a high level. Need kids with RS year to develop and lose the weight they need to.

I have said it often - Officer is more important than Ebo. I understand the recruiting bragging rights for him but we need O Linemen in a big way.

I am all for jacking the WR corp with speed and more of it. Let me just ask. Do we know wehat a kid like Keenan Hale brings to the team ? Add Cornelius to the "?" We have a kid that was known for speed and big play ability who was quickly moved to defense. Presumably we have no one to get into the CB mix so Brandon Reddish remains on Shafer's side of responsibility.A mistake IMO.:crazy:

This ^

Nails - I know we have Kobena but isn't Hale a big, go get it jumper WR vs a speedster?

Yes Hale has decent speed but is not a burner ... but one hell of a leaper.

The kid that i think could really surprise is Flemming. Now im not sure if he was hurt during the spring and if so if he can come back but i like the looks of this kid. He seems really fluid i hope that he comes on. As to the others who knows. It looks like West is lost for the year and given his injuries over time you have to question if he will ever contribute. Hale and the frosh and Juco are a coin toss. All in all we are going to be ok with Sales and Lemon but next year i hope that someone comes on or that we bring in a big time Juco

The kid that i think could really surprise is Flemming. Now im not sure if he was hurt during the spring and if so if he can come back but i like the looks of this kid. He seems really fluid i hope that he comes on. As to the others who knows. It looks like West is lost for the year and given his injuries over time you have to question if he will ever contribute. Hale and the frosh and Juco are a coin toss. All in all we are going to be ok with Sales and Lemon but next year i hope that someone comes on or that we bring in a big time Juco
How do we know that West is lost for the year? Was this posted somewhere? Mentioned in an article?

First of all, there's nothing that indicates West is out for the year. It's a well-heard rumor that Foster shredded his knee. He was nowhere to be seen in the spring. West had a wrist/thumb problem and participated in spring practice.

I can't remember if Flemming played in the spring or not. There were four healthy wide outs- Sales, Kobena, Hale, and must-have-been Flemming. Some one back me up on this. Foster and Lemon sat out.

I hope for Flemming's sake he can contribute. Depth issues burned his RS year, which I think would have made a huge difference. But he's a third year player now. Maybe this will be his time.

I was at the spring game and dont remember seeing Flemming but who knows. Yes you are correct my mistake it is Foster who is out for the year. Sorry lets hope that he recovers and that West and Flemming are good to go. Thx

I haven't seen a report on injuries since spring unless I missed the memo again Lots of kids were /are on the post spring depth chart and listed as "INJ" Its getting kind of late to be not knowing if these players are sitting or standing on the sideline.couchburn

Tiller and Hay started as will Alexander. We can say what we want but three out of four Juco OL will have started which is a much higher percentage than those coming in as frosh. Also if we could have landed Streeter from Albany at WR we would have. The kid is a stud for Temple. Dont forget that Taj came in as a Juco and he worked out pretty well. Im not a huge fan of Jucos but feel as if 3-5 a year is a solid number if you have needs and next year we are going to have some big needs at WR and OL

Tiller was servicable. Hay was significantly below average.

It remains to be seen whether [or not] Alexander will start.

JUCO OL are a crapshoot, at best [at least the ones we are capable of landing].

Tiller was very good last year. Do not diminish that by calling him "average".

We are not going to get JUCO OL kids able to play two years in two at a high level. Need kids with RS year to develop and lose the weight they need to.

Define "very good." He was an adequate starter, but he didn't stand out. Nor was he dominant. A kid that size coming in with an offer from Miami, I was hoping for / expecting a bit more. And on a team in desperate need of impact OL, he was adequate, but not much more.

Please understand, I'm a Tiller fan. I have stated repeatedly on the forums that he has been our most consistent OL the past two years. But he didn't exactly tear it up [which can be both good in the sense that he wasn't making mistakes and bad because he wasn't standing out], either--hence, why I consider him average instead of "very good."

That JUCO story got started and died off the blocks.:noidea:

OL is a concern, and I think that's why Officer is so important to this class.

That being said, I'm still curious to see what happens with PSU. If the hammer comes down, there are going to be a number of players available from that program that were recruited by SU over the past 2 recruiting cycles. Some of which were OL, Donovan Smith is one for instance. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm concerned because of the Fine case that if a student and parent pulls from that program, they may not look at us, for right or wrong reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom