Neil Nunn | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Neil Nunn

This thread has taught me:
- I wouldn’t want to be a kid growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be a cop in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the parent of a child growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the friend of a kid who makes such bad choices.
- I wouldn’t want to support the athletic career of a kid who doesn’t understand the potentially catastrophic situation he put himself in. (No one else put him in it.)
- I am agreeable to giving kids a second chance IF they learn something from their first mistake and accept some responsibility and consequences.
- I do not like getting into social issues on the SU board. This is my escape, but I can’t help but comment.
- As someone else said, the mods here are exceptional.

Yes to all but 5. What if he didn't know or understand?

I think insulated people have a hard time understanding the hood vs suburbia to.
I think they also have a hard making the connections between dumb stuff they did as kids and got away with it, or were told “oh those are just boy’s being boys” and situations like this. Granted, we’re talking about a gun and I get that. But there’s many situations where the scenario is not that drastically different or that far removed than this.

Last edited:
Never did drugs one time.. Yet I have gotten in cars with people that i know did stuff because they were casual type friends, softball buddies or maybe guys we played pool with..

Sometimes stuff happens.. you are at a bar with a bunch of people, every says lets switch bars you all hop in 2-3 cars and off you go and you look in the cup holder and there some "illegal stuff" .. What do you do? I leave it alone and finish the ride. but what if we got pulled over ? what happens then?

young kids growing up in rougher areas probably more likely to touch things, older people who grow up in softer areas might just look at and leave alone..

This thread has taught me:
- I wouldn’t want to be a kid growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be a cop in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the parent of a child growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the friend of a kid who makes such bad choices.
- I wouldn’t want to support the athletic career of a kid who doesn’t understand the potentially catastrophic situation he put himself in. (No one else put him in it.)
- I am agreeable to giving kids a second chance IF they learn something from their first mistake and accept some responsibility and consequences.
- I do not like getting into social issues on the SU board. This is my escape, but I can’t help but comment.
- As someone else said, the mods here are exceptional.
I'm with you, I like to keep my SU sports separate from political or social issue discussions but I can't help but comment sometimes.

For me reading all the different positions on this issue just shows me what a diverse community we are on this forum. And that most of you can be civil in your views.

But if you aren't... ;)

I suppose that’s possible. But, I’m guessing he’s a street smart kid who knew this was potentially damaging to his scholarship and athletic career, and maybe his life.
I'm hoping naive moreso

165 pound cornerback getting caught by cops on foot... May be time to hit the portal..

Last edited:
I think the big question that everyone is missing.

How the hell did he run from the cops and get caught. Who the hell was chasing him.

Forensics show who handled the gun. If you're talking to cops at all, don't lie

I highly doubt theyre going to do forensics on a gun in Miami just to see if you were holding it with respect to the crime/charges of concealed possession. This was like the lowest level offense there is. Maybe they would but Id think the lab would have bigger fish to fry.

And 101 is don’t admit anything.

Last edited:
I highly doubt theyre going to do forensics on a gun in Miami just to see if you were holding it. I think the lab would have bigger fish to fry.

And 101 is don’t admit anything.
Foresenics when no one on scene has holes in them... deffinietly not. But lifting prints takes like 5 mins by the arresting cop and they already know who's in the car so pulling comparables is quick and easy. Big atta boys get passed around for getting guns off the street. Command staff and prosecutors office gets tons of heat for reducing gun crime in areas of historical violence. On a micro level its a big deal. But your right in that big picture a violent city like Miami has bigger issues though

Huh? You don't think other parents teach their kids this? Just acknowledge that others have different experiences/challenges than you.
No. I assume they do. It was someone else that told me I'm lucky my parents taught me, and that most parents don't. Maybe you should have THEM clarify what they were saying.

Last edited:
Yes to all but 5. What if he didn't know or understand?
Does he watch TV? This story has played out countless times. With the life experiences he has that you point out I can't relate to, he has likely seen people face the consequences of poor decisions. He had/has the chance to draw from that experience and make different decisions knowing the opportunities that are in front of him.

As I said earlier, nobody got hurt. I hope he gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist and he learns from this.

That's true. Should I not have answered the question I was asked?
I don't know anything about Neil Nunn's past, and I don't know enough about the sociology of it to speak expertly on issues of impoverished minority neighborhoods.

That said, Nunn's hometown is listed as West Perrine, FL, where according to Wikipedia, 52% of children under the age of 18 live below the poverty line.

I do know that one of the big issues in poverty is child care - kids way too young being left to their own devices because the parents have to work and can't afford to get their kids into supervision. Poverty also requires parents to work more than one job or extra hours just to make ends meet, which means the parents are around less and the kids are on their own more often. (This is a reason some kids end up in gangs.) This is a general statement, not a statement about Neil.

I also don't know anything about your past. But, guessing from the Demographics of this board, you did not have a similar upbringing, at least in terms of location.

I don't know anything about Neil Nunn's past, and I don't know enough about the sociology of it to speak expertly on issues of impoverished minority neighborhoods.

That said, Nunn's hometown is listed as West Perrine, FL, where according to Wikipedia, 52% of children under the age of 18 live below the poverty line.

I do know that one of the big issues in poverty is child care - kids way too young being left to their own devices because the parents have to work and can't afford to get their kids into supervision. Poverty also requires parents to work more than one job or extra hours just to make ends meet, which means the parents are around less and the kids are on their own more often. (This is a reason some kids end up in gangs.) This is a general statement, not a statement about Neil.

I also don't know anything about your past. But, guessing from the Demographics of this board, you did not have a similar upbringing, at least in terms of location.
I don't understand your post. In my previous response to you I acknowledged that my experience is likely different than his, so what you said seems unnecessary. You didn't answer my question, however.

It may not matter, but in my line of work, I see a wide variety of demographics in their home environments, including all races and creeds, from the affluent to the impoverished. I am not ignorant to the differences.

Keep in mind all of this back and forth started when I asked the simple question of whether someone thought it was a good idea for him to run. I never said I thought he deserved a harsh punishment or comitted a horrible crime. I just thought he did himself no favors by choosing to run. It made him appear to be guilty of something he likely wasn't guilty of. I hope it doesn't come back to bite him. I don't like it when a foolish mistake cascades into more than it has to be. As I said twice before, I hope he gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist and the opportunity to use this experience to make sounder decisions in the future.

I don't understand your post. In my previous response to you I acknowledged that my experience is likely different than his, so what you said seems unnecessary. You didn't answer my question, however.

It may not matter, but in my line of work, I see a wide variety of demographics in their home environments, including all races and creeds, from the affluent to the impoverished. I am not ignorant to the differences.

Keep in mind all of this back and forth started when I asked the simple question of whether someone thought it was a good idea for him to run. I never said I thought he deserved a harsh punishment or comitted a horrible crime. I just thought he did himself no favors by choosing to run. It made him appear to be guilty of something he likely wasn't guilty of. I hope it doesn't come back to bite him. I don't like it when a foolish mistake cascades into more than it has to be. As I said twice before, I hope he gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist and the opportunity to use this experience to make sounder decisions in the future.
I deleted my initial response to your question when typing the rest. The answer? I don't know.

This is great for our secondary. I didn’t expect Jonas to be a big contributor but his departure really hurt our depth when it looked like Nunn may be ineligible too

Second chance. Clean slate. Make the most of it, young Mr. Nunn. And learn from it.
Yes. The best thing for Neil is to get out of that environment and get on campus. Probably should not go home again until after he graduates. Football is his chance to escape and he needs to take advantage of this great opportunity to get out of there for good.

Glad charges were dropped. This is the kids best chance to stay out of trouble and make something of himself. Hope he does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom