Neil Nunn | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Neil Nunn

Continuously lost in this... Not Neil's gun, not Neil's car, not Neil driving the car.

It's pretty apparent that some here have never lived an existence where having a fire arm for protection might be a consideration. Wonder what the owner of the gun, and driver of the cars motives were? Both of which were not Neil Nunn.

Nunn admitted to handling the gun, that's all. Got in the car and moved it from the seat or floor to the door? Extremely plausible. Anyone that's been in remotely similar scenario would know as much.

The facts of what was presented do not implicate Nunn as a criminal nor someone with criminal intent. Conjecture is a dangerous game

If it’s an illegally possessed gun, it’s probably impossible to know who “owns” it. It’s in the car. “Not mine” owns it.

I want nothing but the best for Nunn, and for all kids who have a chance to get out of a bad environment and make something of themselves. And the best thing for Nunn is to understand he cannot put himself in that situation. This is not really complicated.

If it’s an illegally possessed gun, it’s probably impossible to know who “owns” it. It’s in the car. “Not mine” owns it.

I want nothing but the best for Nunn, and for all kids who have a chance to get out of a bad environment and make something of themselves. And the best thing for Nunn is to understand he cannot put himself in that situation. This is not really complicated.

Dude. He might not have even known he had put himself "in that situation" until he'd already gotten into the car.

What's he supposed to do then? Hop out and run away??

Serial number will show who purchased it, if shaved on the owner of the car.

Agreed, learning moment and in the future he doesn't get in that car or any car he views as potentially suspect. Hope he doesn't get rung on bunk charges, agreed not that complicated.

Continuously lost in this... Not Neil's gun, not Neil's car, not Neil driving the car.

It's pretty apparent that some here have never lived an existence where having a fire arm for protection might be a consideration. Wonder what the owner of the gun, and driver of the cars motives were? Both of which were not Neil Nunn.

Nunn admitted to handling the gun, that's all. Got in the car and moved it from the seat or floor to the door? Extremely plausible. Anyone that's been in remotely similar scenario would know as much.

The facts of what was presented do not implicate Nunn as a criminal nor someone with criminal intent. Conjecture is a dangerous game
This, be patient and see how this plays out.

Dude. He might not have even known he had put himself "in that situation" until he'd already gotten into the car.

Well, if he was going to do that he should've done it before the cops showed up, not after they approached the car.

He's in the passenger seat of a car that isn't his. Just leave the gun where it was or put it back there after looking at it. When the cops show up, don't run away and play dumb. He made things worse for himself by running from the cops.

If he was your kid, what would you tell him. There is a life lesson here.
And yes, if he was my son I would counsel him, “Don’t handle the gun. Tell your friend anything, but don’t ride in that car. Tell him you forgot your accordion at home and you have to walk back to get it. Tell him you forgot to take your Flinstone vitamins. And most importantly, do not run from the police.”

Well, if he was going to do that he should've done it before the cops showed up, not after they approached the car.

He's in the passenger seat of a car that isn't his. Just leave the gun where it was or put it back there after looking at it. When the cops show up, don't run away and play dumb. He made things worse for himself by running from the cops.

Never had cops harass you as a teenager?

If there is broken trust from prior instances it's tough to sit and think truth will set you free. He is lucky cops didn't fire on him when he ran though

There are 2 types of possession according to law, Actual and Constructive.

Actual possession: pretty obvious -- whoever is actually in possession of the item.
Constructive possession: no one is actually in possession of the item -- so whoever is near the item (usually arms reach) and can be in possession.

Example: There is a burglary. The cops show up at a someone's house with a search warrant. The owner of the house answers the door and is outside the house while the search happens. Inside, the police find items that were stolen during the burglary. The owner of the house is charged with possession of stolen property because the items were found in his house (constructive possession).

In this case, it was reported the gun was found in the passenger side door of the car, which is where he was sitting. He is within arms reach of the weapon, which falls under constructive possession. The driver could be charged also if as you said, he is the owner of car and determined to be the actual owner of the gun. If in center console both would be in close proximity so both would have constructive possession. Say it was in driver side door, and same situation described, Nunn would likely have neither actual nor constructive possession.

If there is broken trust from prior instances it's tough to sit and think truth will set you free. He is lucky cops didn't fire on him when he ran though
No. I was taught by my parents not to put myself in any situation that would give cops a reason to harrass me, and I was more afraid of my parents than the cops.

Are you really trying to suggest he was smart to run when the cops showed up?

If he was your kid, what would you tell him. There is a life lesson here.
And yes, if he was my son I would counsel him, “Don’t handle the gun. Tell your friend anything, but don’t ride in that car. Tell him you forgot your accordion at home and you have to walk back to get it. Tell him you forgot to take your Flinstone vitamins. And most importantly, do not run from the police.”

If it were my kid the only thing I would say is w t f were you thinking running away. And then I would say keep your mouth shut and don't ever admit to anything. No the gun isn't mine. No I didn't handle the gun. I didn't even know it was there.

but (and not you) but the arm chair adult QBs know what they would've done differently from their POV. 9/10 times kids in that situation are terrified and the cops can be very intimidating. They can talk most scared kids into saying anything.

If I knew my son's friends were bad seeds I'd be pissed about him being in that car. If my son's friends were not bad seeds I wouldn't tell him he can't hang out with kids who have legally owned guns. I think insulated people have a hard time understanding the hood vs suburbia to.

Last edited:
To add...there's definitely a reason the cops didn't tag the gun to the driver and charged it to Nunn instead. Was it solely because he ran and said he 'handled' it ??.. and maybe no one in the car copped to owning it?? There definitely seems like a lot more to the story.

Nunn by running might have also given the cops probable cause to search the vehicle. Otherwise you don't get to search based on a parking ticket and giving permission is always a bad move. However, and as much as people think they have a choice to the search, you don't have a choice and environment plays a big factor.

Last edited:
No. I was taught by my parents not to put myself in any situation that would give cops a reason to harrass me, and I was more afraid of my parents than the cops.

Luckily for you the cops never presumed you were in that "situation". That's not a reality for a lot of kids growing up.

Luckily for you the cops never presumed you were in that "situation". That's not a reality for a lot of kids growing up.
I suppose, but I was never close to putting myself in that situation either. My parents made it clear, if I ever got arrested for anything, I would enjoy a night in jail. I was taught to stay as far from the line as possible and give nobody a reason to suspect anything. I was also taught to avoid doing stupid little things to draw attention like parking at an angle across two parking spots. My best friend started getting in trouble and I gave him an ultimatum, "If I hear of you doing the crap again that you've been doing, we're done." I heard about some stuff and immediately cut off contact with him. It wasn't long after that he got arrested.

Maybe Nunn isn't to blame. Maybe mom needs to worry more about teaching her kid life skills than she does his playing time. I hope he learns a lesson a makes better decisions. Nobody got hurt, so a slap on wrist makes sense.

I was tought the same by my father... Smart? No. Understandable? Yes

If you were more afraid of you parents than cops? Congratulations. Most don't get that luxury

I suppose, but I was never close to putting myself in that situation either. My parents made it clear, if I ever got arrested for anything, I would enjoy a night in jail. I was taught to stay as far from the line as possible and give nobody a reason to suspect anything. I was also taught to avoid doing stupid little things to draw attention like parking at an angle across two parking spots. My best friend started getting in trouble and I gave him an ultimatum, "If I hear of you doing the crap again that you've been doing, we're done." I heard about some stuff and immediately cut off contact with him. It wasn't long after that he got arrested.

Maybe Nunn isn't to blame. Maybe mom needs to worry more about teaching her kid life skills than she does his playing time. I hope he learns a lesson a makes better decisions. Nobody got hurt, so a slap on wrist makes sense.

"A night in jail" Again, different reality. If Nunn catches the presumed charges.. more than 1 night

If it were my kid the only thing I would say is w t f were you thinking running away. And then I would say keep your mouth shut and don't ever admit to anything. No the gun isn't mine. No I didn't handle the gun. I didn't even know it was there.

but (and not you) but the arm chair adult QBs know what they would've done differently from their POV. 9/10 times kids in that situation are terrified and the cops can be very intimidating. They can talk most scared kids into saying anything.

If I knew my son's friends were bad seeds I'd be pissed about him being in that car. If my son's friends were not bad seeds I wouldn't tell him he can't hang out with kids who have legally owned guns. I think insulated people have a hard time understanding the hood vs suburbia to.

Forensics show who handled the gun. If you're talking to cops at all, don't lie

I can’t blame him for running I wouldn’t want to be a black kid in a car with a gun with a cop involved. Running certainly didn’t lower his chances of survival given the circumstances.

The obvious lesson is don’t put yourself in the situation to begin with but that’s easy for most of us who post on this website to say.

Teenager, how about as adults?

Try having someone almost run you off the road because they are late for work and then show up in your driveway later that day in their uniform driving their trooper car. We ended up in court. He had issues, we won.

Bad things can happen to everyone...black or white.

Your experiences growing up likely have little in common with Neil Nunn's though.

Teenager, how about as adults?

Try having someone almost run you off the road because they are late for work and then show up in your driveway later that day in their uniform driving their trooper car. We ended up in court. He had issues, we won.

Bad things can happen to everyone...black or white.

It's not solely a skin tone issue. I know what makes national headlines but much more frequent than that actually transpires

Sorry to you and the amazing mods we have to potentially break the political ban but many seem completely naive and that's bipartisan issue.

Huh? You don't think other parents teach their kids this? Just acknowledge that others have different experiences/challenges than you.

This thread has taught me:
- I wouldn’t want to be a kid growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be a cop in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the parent of a child growing up in that environment.
- I wouldn’t want to be the friend of a kid who makes such bad choices.
- I wouldn’t want to support the athletic career of a kid who doesn’t understand the potentially catastrophic situation he put himself in. (No one else put him in it.)
- I am agreeable to giving kids a second chance IF they learn something from their first mistake and accept some responsibility and consequences.
- I do not like getting into social issues on the SU board. This is my escape, but I can’t help but comment.
- As someone else said, the mods here are exceptional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom