Nelson and Clarke arrested | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Nelson and Clarke arrested

my kid says he hasn't spent $500 all year at school, and after his meal plan just how much more food do you really need?

$225 week is plenty of spending cash... I honestly, subtracting gas, doubt I spend that weekly. Once you take out bills & groceries, I probably actually spend very little. $225, after living expenses is more than enough.

No kidding. I wish I had $225 a week for spending money.

$225 week is plenty of spending cash... I honestly, subtracting gas, doubt I spend that weekly. Once you take out bills & groceries, I probably actually spend very little. $225, after living expenses is more than enough.

The stipend is not being calculated correctly in this thread. $900.00/month over 12 months would be $10,800 annually. I am pretty certain the players are not receiving that amount of money. That $900.00/month figure must be for a specified number of months.

Also, remember that they have to pay their own travel expenses to and from home which can get expensive if you live down south or don't have a vehicle to get you home. Additionally, due to their economic situations, a lot of these players have to pay for their own clothes, phone plan and other incidentals that "most" parents help other kids out with during college.

Lastly, most of these players cannot work a regular part-time job to earn monies due to the time constraints placed on them by the sport they play.

This isn't a defense of their actions but a clarification of what they actually receive and have to spend throughout the year. A little context and perspective seemed needed as some made it seem as if the stipend magically moved these kids out of poverty. That's just not true.

They get 900 a month except January and June. It is less for freshman. I got a 1099 from the school this year for 86000 54000 was for school tuition and the remainder was his stipend and room and board. Yes we have to pay taxes on that difference. I see what Shy spends his cash on. Mostly food movies and clothes. He also has 4700 for a food plan he never uses. It kills me but athletes are only allowed in certain cafeterias and the one close to the dorms isn't one of them so he only eats there like 2 times a week. Also they can't eat in them in the summer. Don't get me started on that stuff though.

They get 900 a month except January and June. It is less for freshman. I got a 1099 from the school this year for 86000 54000 was for school tuition and the remainder was his stipend and room and board. Yes we have to pay taxes on that difference. I see what Shy spends his cash on. Mostly food movies and clothes. He also has 4700 for a food plan he never uses. It kills me but athletes are only allowed in certain cafeterias and the one close to the dorms isn't one of them so he only eats there like 2 times a week. Also they can't eat in them in the summer. Don't get me started on that stuff though.

Thanks for the clarification. So each athlete has to pay taxes on $32,000 annually? Had no idea the room and board and stipend were taxed. Wow.

Thanks for the clarification. So each athlete has to pay taxes on $32,000 annually? Had no idea the room and board and stipend were taxed. Wow.
Yes it killed me this year last year was much less. A lot of kids take student loans to pay the tax bill as most don't know they are getting hit with it. Also the government has changed the way they decide if you can call at student a dependent or on his own so we couldn't even separate him from our taxes. That hurt

None of that is truly tangible in the here and now. Kids on scholarships should either have some pocket money or be able to have a work-study job that puts $75-100/week in their pocket (and nobody wants them to do that - although I had a work-study job and played varsity sports in college). That wouldn't break the budget and it would probably be enough to keep kids out of doing stupid stuff like this.

Agree, i played D2 baseball in Florida and we had 14-20 hrs a week of work study, Easy stuff. These programs have to still be around, right? I get it that a 18-22 yo doesnt understand the value of a fully paid private education. It doesn't really hit you until that "exit interview " your senior year , when, you are introduced to Miss Mae;)

Yes it killed me this year last year was much less. A lot of kids take student loans to pay the tax bill as most don't know they are getting hit with it. Also the government has changed the way they decide if you can call at student a dependent or on his own so we couldn't even separate him from our taxes. That hurt

Sorry the IRS hit you so hard. At least the education was tax free, but the hit on $32K when you are not prepared for it is hard. Thanks for sharing the info, it is good to know how the system really works.

Sorry the IRS hit you so hard. At least the education was tax free, but the hit on $32K when you are not prepared for it is hard. Thanks for sharing the info, it is good to know how the system really works.
Oh believe me thank god every day for the other 260000 Shy is getting in education... Uncle Sam just sucks lol

Does anyone have any further, current inside info on the status of Jaquwan Nelson and Devon Clarke?

I am also wondering and hopeful about Steven Clark's status (as all of us are), although I know this information might be sensitive, so I'll take what I can get.

Does anyone have any further, current inside info on the status of Jaquwan Nelson and Devon Clarke?

I am also wondering and hopeful about Steven Clark's status (as all of us are), although I know this information might be sensitive, so I'll take what I can get.

Not sure but Clarke just tweeted he can't wait to see teammates again which may suggest he and Nelson are back?

Cuse gives stipends , they get $ every month , seeing how they get every meal paid for this $ more than covers an xbox ,a pair of shoes etc I believe it's about $900 per month . This is a simple case of crime ! They should be thrown out and procecuted and made an example out of
Thank you for clarifying that D1 scholarship athletes have money to get a pizza and go to the movies. I've seen it written and heard on the radio far too many times these poor forgotten kids go without and can't enjoy the college experience like other students.

He followed that tweet with this

Does a suspended player have access to the football facilities such as the weight room, indoor facility etc.? Just wondering if he's been able to keep himself in football shape. Hope he learns from his mistakes.

Wonder if this is going to apply to Nelson as well. I would assume yes?

Here's hoping that both learned their lessons. It would be very nice for both of these players to be successful and stay out of trouble.

Wonder if this is going to apply to Nelson as well. I would assume yes?
Nelson had the far more serious charges IIRC. Remains to be seen.

Agreed. Clarke's misled us with tweets before.

No more like that he can play. When they are suspended I don't think they can't practice with the team or use the facilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom