Nelson and Clarke arrested | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nelson and Clarke arrested

Well there is the innocent until proven guilty thing, so maybe . . . . But frankly, if true, adios.

maybe one less video game for the ps4.

school is not in session.. jet blue that time of year is under $150. food alone to eat for 5 weeks would cost that.

does scholarship cover costs when school is not in session, most places between breaks even if you can stay on campus you fend for yourself to eat.

what is Su new policy anyway on stipends? I see Su gives them $1600 for out of pocket.. more than enough to get home if thats what they want

At $5,666 per year, Tennessee can provide the largest stipend to student-athletes under the new rules, or about $630 per month for out-of-pocket items. That’s a pretty big allowance for college students who already have everything paid for that’s school-associated.

Alabama now gives its kids $3000 a year for transportation cost for out of state kids. For out-of-state students, transportation is based on a weighted average of mileage based on an 8-hour travel radius and an average of two round trips home per semester."

dont say they cant afford to get home. they money is there if they choose it to be.

Last edited:
maybe one less video game for the ps4.

school is not in session.. jet blue that time of year is under $150. food alone to eat for 5 weeks would cost that.

does scholarship cover costs when school is not in session, most places between breaks even if you can stay on campus you fend for yourself to eat.
During semester break, there is no COA allowance; pretty sure there's no "room and board", too. Think that's an NCAA thing.

Now that it's had some time to sink in, if the allegations are true and Jaquwan and Devon have to face some consequences, I sincerely hope they have the opportunity to learn from this and turn their life in a positive direction and not let this define them.

During semester break, there is no COA allowance; pretty sure there's no "room and board", too. Think that's an NCAA thing.

since you know the policy, did SU change how it handles transportation costs like other schools did?

maybe most kids stayed local anyway to train?

I know our school has dinked around with stipend money pretty badly.. our kids get less than $10 a day for food i think on trips and have lost recruits because of it.

I have a very low tolerance for off the field nonsense. I know mistakes happen I wouldn't categorize stealing as one of those stupid things that kids do. It's just flat out wrong. Sigh

100% agree. With all the heightened awareness of infractions, the cost of the free education they are receiving, etc., these kids have to know where the line is.

As others have suggested, is likely they will have to turn things around elsewhere and I hope the best for them. More opportunities for the new guys at SU.

i wonder when the school found out.. did it change what we went after in jan thinking those kids might not be around?

since you know the policy, did SU change how it handles transportation costs like other schools did?

maybe most kids stayed local anyway to train?
I don't know what transportation policies were in place previous to Steven attending. For sure, now, players are responsible for paying their own travel during semester breaks. Generally, that's not a big deal. Just sock away a few bucks here and there during the semester, and there's enough money to cover a round trip ticket.

I can't believe I'm saying this bc I like to hammer the NCAA as much as possible but I don't think this is an issue of "needing money for food".

It's doesn't say anything about them radding the person fridge or ramen noodle stash bc they are hungry.

They stole stuff they wanted. And they stole a large amount of property. PS4 $500.. a pair of ugly boots $1000 +... laptop $500

That has nothing to do with needing money to go buy bread so they can make a pb&j.

Well there is the innocent until proven guilty thing, so maybe . . . . But frankly, if true, adios.
Unfortunately I don't think SPD would have charged them had they not had a solid case. The case is from December and were just charged. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think they picked names out of a hat. You are correct though Noexcuse, innocent until proven guilty. This sucks.

I'll just say this....if you're one of the people calling these kids "dumb" and also at the same time being on the "don't pay the players, they get a free education!" train, well...

A lot of these D-1 athletes have nothing and come from nothing, financially speaking. Usually when things of value that have equal or even more resale value(just check what those ugly Yeezy boots go for on the resale market on eBay) are stolen, it's because they're trying to make some money because they have none and they aren't exactly normal students that can just "get a job". I mean we know that. Our hoop players couldn't even get paid for refereeing kids basketball! Back in the day Marcus Williams at UConn didn't steal those laptops because he's a gamer or something.

Because there's always a few that don't read or think and assume the obvious needs to be stated in every post...I'm not any way defending them for stealing! I assume that goes without saying, but you never know. I'm just making a larger point about how this entire system doesn't make a lot of sense. Think about how often we hear about things like this in college sports. It's happened multiple times at Cuse just in the last five years or so! People are out there making money hand over fist off college sports, but the players whose JOB is to play football (be real, that's why they're at the school) can't get any pocket money?

Hopefully they'll let due process take its course. The kids punished accordingly and allowed to remain on the team. Kids are charged all the time at other schools and don't get booted. Very dissappoining however.

I was shocked by all the "bye" comments. Says who? Let's see what happens. I don't necessarily think kicking them off is the best thing for the kids involved or for the program, but every situation is different and it's up to other people to determine what is best here. Hope things work out for both our players and our program.

And big picture, something needs to change so that these scenarios stop happening so much.

Hopefully they'll let due process take its course. The kids punished accordingly and allowed to remain on the team. Kids are charged all the time at other schools and don't get booted. Very dissappoining however.
I get this & the yearn for an "even playing field" with other schools. I just think it sets a poor precedent & can be a slippery slope. We're going to have to take chances on kids, it's just the nature of the game for our program, but, IMO, these types of things can't be tolerated. Obviously "innocent until proven...", but it'd be hard to boot Sheppard for smoking weed, albeit multiple offenses, & not these 2.

In 2012, I came in with 21 other guys. Of us, one was arrested, three transferred (two were asked to leave), one quit, two didn’t qualify, and one was dismissed for drugs. Some weren’t even asked back for their fifth year. As for the rest of us, only nine ever started a game. Out of that group, just two signed with an NFL team.

These sort of numbers are littered throughout every recruiting class. I’m telling you because I want you to understand that it isn’t easy. Some guys can’t handle it. They get on campus and immediate satisfaction takes over. They forget their own goals and lose themselves. Alcohol, weed, romantic interests. It’s usually one of the three and they don’t even realize it.

-- Julian Whigham

Punks. Kick them off the team now. Dino better not turn Syracuse into another Baylor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom