Nelson and Clarke arrested | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nelson and Clarke arrested

1-2 hours a day? You got anything to back that up? Jeez, I do that and I'm a declining weekend Warrior and lunch hour hoop run guy. Pretty sure D-1 football players train and workout far more than I do. And all the hours going to class and completing the work is built into that "full time job" too.

I think it's comical that you're using the baseball players on your D-2 team as a basis of comparision to where many of these kids come from and what they have. No money... but rooms, meals, and sweats...life by the balls, baby!

Not using the d2 comparison to su. All i know is i came from a lower middle class family , traveled to fla. Once there had work study as these kids do, food, room. Its alot cheaper to be at su than in the streets, right? You guys using this as a motive for their crime is comical.

1-2 hours a day? You got anything to back that up? Jeez, I do that and I'm a declining weekend Warrior and lunch hour hoop run guy. Pretty sure D-1 football players train and workout far more than I do. And all the hours going to class and completing the work is built into that "full time job" too.

I think it's comical that you're using the baseball players on your D-2 team as a basis of comparision to where many of these kids come from and what they have. No money... but rooms, meals, and sweats...life by the balls, baby!

Why are you pushing the "came from nothing" argument. How do you know they came from nothing? Or, more importantly, why does it matter when it comes to breaking the law?

Have you looked at Devon's twitter account. I don't see any pictures showing destitution. In fact, I see high end, expensive clothes, phones, computers and a nice neighborhood with manicured lawns.

The system and them stealing have nothing to do with each other. As you said, a lot of D-1 athletes have nothing, but a lot don't steal. Sorry, I have no tolerance for people that steal other people's things.

1. Disagree. Yes, they do. If these kids had some money, they'd be less likely to steal.
2. Good! Absolutely. Many kids make better decisions than others and find better way to solve their problems.
3. It's a low thing to do, no question. Flat out wrong. At the same time, there's a better solution that would make this less common, which is better for everybody.

I'll just say this...if you're one of the people calling these kids "dumb" and also at the same time being on the "don't pay the players, they get a free education!" train, well...

A lot of these D-1 athletes have nothing and come from nothing, financially speaking. Usually when things of value that have equal or even more resale value(just check what those ugly Yeezy boots go for on the resale market on eBay) are stolen, it's because they're trying to make some money because they have none and they aren't exactly normal students that can just "get a job". I mean we know that. Our hoop players couldn't even get paid for refereeing kids basketball! Back in the day Marcus Williams at UConn didn't steal those laptops because he's a gamer or something.

Because there's always a few that don't read or think and assume the obvious needs to be stated in every post...I'm not any way defending them for stealing! I assume that goes without saying, but you never know. I'm just making a larger point about how this entire system doesn't make a lot of sense. Think about how often we hear about things like this in college sports. It's happened multiple times at Cuse just in the last five years or so! People are out there making money hand over fist off college sports, but the players whose JOB is to play football (be real, that's why they're at the school) can't get any pocket money?
Just curious, if the victim (the one whose stuff was stolen) was your kid, would you be as vociferous concerning second chances?

Why are you pushing the "came from nothing" argument. How do you know they came from nothing? Or, more importantly, why does it matter when it comes to breaking the law?

Have you looked at Devon's twitter account. I don't see any pictures showing destitution. In fact, I see high end, expensive clothes, phones, computers and a nice neighborhood with manicured lawns.

It's not an argument and I'm not pushing anything. It's a basic fact.

Why does it matter? Are you serious? Why is there more crime in some areas than others? Cmon...I'm not doing all your thinking for you.

Right, because people love to broadcast how poor they are? You realize how many broke people have nice phones and sneakers?

Gear...lol
Food...a basic human need, not something special.
Room...again, lol. We give prisoners food and rooms too. So what?
Fame? Really? These two kids are famous? To who? And for the small percent that do have "fame"...is that fame putting any dollars in their pockets and if not...why? Does it really matter then?

The world by the balls...Good God. They have a great opportunity, sure. They get to go to school for free(which means much more to some than it does to others for various reasons) to play a sport they presumably love at a high level of competition, and I'm sure many have a lot of great experiences that many of us would've loved to have. They also have a ton of obstacles that don't need to be there, and at the end of it the great majority of them have to go try to make a living the same way we all do. Great opportunity...sure. World by the balls though?

Do you think all these kids that screw it up are just destined to be idiots and bad people and couldn't do better with a little more help? I try not to assume the worst in people. I think more of these kids/young men could and would do better if those running this whole huge business college football thing cared about them, were less greedy, and did things just a little bit differently.
Let's not complicate it. They wanted boots that Kanye West sells, because it's a high ticket item. It's a status symbol like an old rusty Dodge Neon with $5,000 rims and nice stereo. They couldn't afford them so they stole them...allegedly...(rolling eyes).

Just curious, if the victim (the one whose stuff was stolen) was your kid, would you be as vociferous concerning second chances?

It's not even about second chances as much is it's about...there's an incredible amount of money made off this sport and a lot of these kids don't have a lot of money. I think it would be a better situation for all if some things were changed to benefit the student athletes a bit more, and fewer of these incidents would happen.

As far as second chances...obviously the people in charge that know this particular situation can make the best decision there. I'm focusing more on the big picture...a discussion that is bound to come up when things like this happen.

It's not even about second chances as much is it's about...there's an incredible amount of money made off this sport and a lot of these kids don't have a lot of money. I think it would be a better situation for all if some things were changed to benefit the student athletes a bit more, and fewer of these incidents would happen.

As far as second chances...obviously the people in charge that know this particular situation can make the best decision there. I'm focusing more on the big picture...a discussion that is bound to come up when things like this happen.

If it were your kid, would you or would you not be upset that his/her stuff was stolen?

Let's not complicate it. They wanted boots that Kanye West sells, because it's a high ticket item. It's a status symbol like an old rusty Dodge Neon with $5,000 rims and nice stereo. They couldn't afford them so they stole them...allegedly...(rolling eyes).

Maybe. Or maybe they were going to sell them. Or maybe wear them for a bit and then sell them. Yes, amazingly people will buy used footwear when it's something like this.

Doesn't really change the point. They were dead wrong for doing it. If they got a nice stipend from the enormous college football pool of money that exists, would they have done it? I have no idea what kind of kids they are, but I'd like to think "no" in the majority of cases like this.

If it were your kid, would you or would you not be upset that his/her stuff was stolen?

Obviously. And I'm upset FOR whoevers stuff was stolen here! It's a terrible thing to do to someone and their should always be big consequences. I don't know where the impression came from that I think this is no big deal?

Again, I'm thinking big picture...I feel strongly these situations could be cut way down on if the players had even a small piece of that pie in their pockets.

Last edited:
Maybe. Or maybe they were going to sell them. Or maybe wear them for a bit and then sell them. Yes, amazingly people will buy used footwear when it's something like this.

Doesn't really change the point. They were dead wrong for doing it. If they got a nice stipend from the enormous college football pool of money that exists, would they have done it? I have no idea what kind of kids they are, but I'd like to think "no" in the majority of cases like this.
I also don't buy the kids have nothing to eat argument. Not saying you said that, but others were wondering. These are D1 football players who are given massive amounts of food in order to put on the weight to play the game. If they were like every other student, they would not be consuming enough calories to put on lean mass. I had a buddy who played at Cincinnati as an O-lineman. He loves to eat. He said he was given so much food, that he was sick of eating, and even forced to eat more.

I also don't buy the kids have nothing to eat argument. Not saying you said that, but others were wondering. These are D1 football players who are given massive amounts of food in order to put on the weight to play the game. If they were like every other student, they would not be consuming enough calories to put on lean mass. I had a buddy who played at Cincinnati as an O-lineman. He loves to eat. He said he was given so much food, that he was sick of eating, and even forced to eat more.
There's plenty of food. No problems there, i can assure everyone.

There's plenty of food. No problems there, i can assure everyone.
I thought there was a food issue over the summer. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

There's no excuse for theft. Big picture or no.

When did I ever say or imply anything about there being an excuse for theft though?

I'm acknowledging that there's a problem with this: these incidents are in the news pretty often. And I'm pointing out that I think there's a solution that would cut way down on these types of things.

Why is everyone so quick to kick them out. Let the judicial process play out. If neither kid has a prior record these aren't jail charges they are probation/suspended sentence charges.
If they are suspended and have to give restitution or can get diversion I wouldn't kick them out now.
People saying bye better live perfect lives these charges aren't ones where a kid can't get a 2nd chance.
If they plead out and are punished they shouldn't be automatically gone.
That's the way I feel and MCW was not kicked out either....This and now deadspin we need a win bad tomorrow night

When did I ever say or imply anything about there being an excuse for theft though?

I'm acknowledging that there's a problem with this: these incidents are in the news pretty often. And I'm pointing out that I think there's a solution that would cut way down on these types of things.
There probably isn't a solution; seemingly every year, Alabama and Auburn have some sort of issue with players involving theft and other things. Those programs offer fairly generous COA stipends.

OH!!! I was thinking they took the stuff from a store. Not what I am thinking now from the sounds of this. I skipped over a few

Always always give second chances with young kids...community service and # of games suspension as a penalty...next time they are out proves they didn't learn.

Always always give second chances with young kids...community service and # of games suspension as a penalty...next time they are out proves they didn't learn.

I disagree. At the very least, the victim should be personally and fully compensated, and not with university money.

not if they stole from a teammate...talk about a toxic locker room...jeesh...

^^^ Completely agree with this. Let's get through the process, see what types of punishments are applied and go from there. Lots of things I am betting go into the courts decisions and HCDB's when deciding in these situations. Let's not say these young men are done or out just yet.

Problem is, the process has been working for a month and a half . The investigation is a huge part of the process and after 6 weeks, things point at these 2 young men. Unfortunately.

1. Disagree. Yes, they do. If these kids had some money, they'd be less likely to steal.
2. Good! Absolutely. Many kids make better decisions than others and find better way to solve their problems.
3. It's a low thing to do, no question. Flat out wrong. At the same time, there's a better solution that would make this less common, which is better for everybody.

Wrong, people with adequate means will still steal to get that much more ahead. They weren't stealing to get a meal. God, the ignorance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom