Nerlens wasn't around for Monday's UK visit | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nerlens wasn't around for Monday's UK visit

I don't get the whole pay the player stuff if a kid is going to be a one and done. Why does a kid risk being bought when 7 months after being on a campus they are going to get paid big time by an agent legally and then an NBA contract.

I would think that if anything any 'violation' would be more along the lines of hooking players up with top agents & endorsement reps a year earlier. Just a guess.

SU or Gtown. 70-25. Give UK 5.

I don't get the whole pay the player stuff if a kid is going to be a one and done. Why does a kid risk being bought when 7 months after being on a campus they are going to get paid big time by an agent legally and then an NBA contract.

My guess would be injury.

Plus what really happens to the player if they take money. Once they're gone the school potentially suffers, not them.

Just read that thread on hoyatalk. What a bunch of BS. They make it sound like we just came out of the woodwork in recruiting NN. They don't know how many times he has even been here. They also act like this Randolph guy is some big SU booster. Never heard of him, so he's not. And since when aren't kids suppose to look at HS coaches for advice/help? Everyone cries about the AAU influences and say kids should listen to their parents and coaches and now NN does and they are up in arms because the guy is a big SU fan? Most every HS coach has a favorite team. Doesn't mean they are a booster donating 1000's to the school. What tools.

But isn't it usually the hangers on that actually get paid?

true. but like davis last year, people claim paypal cal paid him 100k, 200k whatever.

I posted yesterday that I wasn't optimistic about having to go toe-to-toe with UK on this one.

But reading Bees post above has me dreaming of a front line with Noel at PF playing next to Christmas [who makes the sophomore jump], with DCII as the reserve big. CJ / Southerland rotating at forward. Wow.

Risk? What risk? Once he's gone it won't matter. Why would he turn down $200,000 just because he'll get paid in a year? It's still $200,000.

I agree the whole pay thing and WWW has little to no truth.

Risk? What risk? Once he's gone it won't matter. Why would he turn down $200,000 just because he'll get paid in a year? It's still $200,000.
200 grand is not that much. Especially to a future NBA player.

I posted yesterday that I wasn't optimistic about having to go toe-to-toe with UK on this one.

But reading Bees post above has me dreaming of a front line with Noel at PF playing next to Christmas [who makes the sophomore jump], with DCII as the reserve big. CJ / Southerland rotating at forward. Wow.
fingertip to fingertip, Noel/Rak/Southerland would cover almost half the width of the court

I think people are getting way too excited about how Rak's doing at the 5. His future is at the 4. Noel's future is at the 5.

What does the player have to lose in your scenario if he takes money.....assuming the transaction is put together well enough that it takes some time for the Dick Traceys to piece together.

What does the player have to lose in your scenario if he takes money.....assuming the transaction is put together well enough that it takes some time for the Dick Traceys to piece together.

after the fact nothing. if it is uncovered beforehand, is it worth it? with all the talk about the davis's and the noel's being "bought" you'd think the ncaa would be sniffing around.

both their future's are at the 4
Not Noel's next season.

You mean to tell me that we're going to bring in the best shotblocking prospect in years, and rather than plop him in the middle of the zone, a place designed for excellence in shotblocking, we're going to put him on the wing? Really? REALLY?

Noel might be a 5 here if we didn't have DC2. But with DC2, Noel is a 4 here and would start alongside DC2 from day 1.
This is going to be my go-to statement on the matter...

You mean to tell me that we're going to bring in the best shotblocking prospect in years, and rather than plop him in the middle of the zone, a place designed for excellence in shotblocking, we're going to put him on the wing? Really? REALLY?

Noel might be a 5 here if we didn't have DC2. But with DC2, Noel is a 4 here and would start alongside DC2 from day 1.
well it will be interesting to see which 2 of those 3 start, Noel is obvious, but who of the other two

200 grand is not that much. Especially to a future NBA player.

$200 K is not a lot to a current NBA player, it is still More than most future NBA players have ever seen. Patience is not a strong suit for most teens.

IF Noel comes here...

I think he starts at the 5, Rak at the 4... DC2 spells Noel at the 5 for ~10 minutes with Rak at the 4... DC2 spells Rak at the 5 for ~10 minutes with Noel at the 4... BMK sorry dood.

IMO Noel is too beast of a shot blocker to not slot him under the basket, and DC2 is too beast of an offensive threat to not play while too slow to play the 4.

Regardless, our rebounding woes should vanish.

after the fact nothing. if it is uncovered beforehand, is it worth it? with all the talk about the davis's and the noel's being "bought" you'd think the ncaa would be sniffing around.

But aside from Kentucky's payment to Chris Mills' dad, how many of these things have been uncovered beforehand.

francis - thoughts on Noel not being at in home??
Strange for sure but I don't read much into it. As long as he's around for JB and Hop to close is all I care about.