Neuheisel out. After 3+ yrs... | Syracusefan.com

Neuheisel out. After 3+ yrs...

I think the writing is on the wall, make the change and move on, don't reward mediocrity if you aspire to be great, it all depends what the goal is

Yes, the comparison between the flagship state school in California with over 37,000 students, in Los Angeles, CA, and Syracuse University is probably a bad one to make.

I think the writing is on the wall, make the change and move on, don't reward mediocrity if you aspire to be great, it all depends what the goal is

They will be on their 4th coach in 11 seasons next year. Do you think that is a smart way to manage a program?

They will be on their 4th coach in 11 seasons next year. Do you think that is a smart way to manage a program?

Doesn't seem to be getting them anywhere.

The way things are done today – instant gratification and quick to pull the trigger – is hardly a model for success.

I’d like to know who exactly has been successful at it? And it’s not just 1 quick winning season, but who’s actually come in, turned it around within say 3 seasons AND THEN maintained that success?

Doesn't seem to be getting them anywhere.

The way things are done today – instant gratification and quick to pull the trigger – is hardly a model for success.

I’d like to know who exactly has been successful at it? And it’s not just 1 quick winning season, but who’s actually come in, turned it around within say 3 seasons AND THEN maintained that success?
It looks like Saban at Alabama would be the obvious choice, and perhaps in the future Hoke at UM, and probably Meyer at OSU will be those type of instant game changers. However, when you have the best talent anyway, an infusion of energy, a little luck, and some fundamental principals usually make a big difference. At programs like Syracuse, I'm not sure that happens. Strong has done well at UL over the last two years.

It looks like Saban at Alabama would be the obvious choice, and perhaps in the future Hoke at UM, and probably Meyer at OSU will be those type of instant game changers. However, when you have the best talent anyway, an infusion of energy, a little luck, and some fundamental principals usually make a big difference. At programs like Syracuse, I'm not sure that happens. Strong has done well at UL over the last two years.

OSU?! They went, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, 12-1 before this year. Exactly what game needs to be changed? The guy is being handed one of the best programs in the country.

Michigan, They went 11-2 and 9-4 before Rich Rod came in, and RR's last year they went 7-6.

Bama, in Saban took over in 2007, in 2005 they went 10-2.

None of those places were in disaster rebuild/turnaround mode.

Louisville, went 12-1 in 2006, and 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 the years after, and Strong went 7-6 his first year, and is looking at about the same this. Great hire, and he's doing an excellent job, but it's not like the program was in complete disrepair.

SU, 6-6, 1-10, 4-8, 2-10, 3-9 in the years before Marrone took over.

Completely different circumstances.

Like the decisiveness.

Decisiveness can be a problem.

Like when Michigan forced out Lloyd Carr, when Nebraska forced out Frank Solich, and when Pitt forced out Dave Wannstedt.

Va. Tech kept Beamer around despite many years of failure and Duke kept Coach K around after much failure.

Sometimes patience and stability are better attributes than decisiveness.

Decisiveness can be a problem.

Like when Michigan forced out Lloyd Carr, when Nebraska forced out Frank Solich, and when Pitt forced out Dave Wannstedt.

Va. Tech kept Beamer around despite many years of failure and Duke kept Coach K around after much failure.

Sometimes patience and stability are better attributes than decisiveness.

Florida got rid of Zook and hired Meyer, Belotti was forced out at U of O, Gomer at WVU for Holgorsen, Auburn hired Chizik when many people were screaming for Gill, Gill out at KU after two years, Nebraska fired Callahan after 3 years, all examples of quick hooks, decisive measures or controversial hiring and firings that pan out. Look we all know Marrone isn't going anywhere right now, but if he goes 5-7 or 6-6 next year, I think it's worth serious consideration.

I think the firings have be smart. The problem is they have made bad hires in the first place. You don't keep a guy around who isn't getting the job done juts because the guy before him sucked as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom