New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

How about the Virginia game. The most important game of the year where perhaps Benny's skill might have helped his team win.
1679120499829.png

Literally to the game some nights
How about the Virginia game. The most important game of the year where perhaps Benny's skill might have helped his team win.

Year 2 in the books and it's time to come to grips with the fact that Benny just isn't very good.

He seemingly has the requisite size and athleticism, but little else.
  • often lacks focus on the court
  • frequently lost on defense
  • confidence issues driving
  • low court IQ
  • poor shot mechanics
By year 4, he might be a nice complimentary player, but a 5-star McD's all-American one-and-done he's not...

Not even close.

He's a massive recruiting miss based on all the hype he had coming in.

Sometimes, it happens.

He's also not gonna dominate and win games for us.

He actually played well vs Dook and we still got boatraced off our own court.

Year 2 in the books and it's time to come to grips with the fact that Benny just isn't very good.

• low court IQ
  • poor shot mechanics
By year 4, he might be a nice complimentary player, but a 5-star McD's all-American one-and-done he's not...

Not even close.

Sometimes, it happens.

Don’t forget that he can’t dunk. Thinks he’s a shooting guard or something lol

Year 2 in the books and it's time to come to grips with the fact that Benny just isn't very good...

That might be a bit strong. I think under Red and with another year under his belt, we might see a more consistent Benny. Remember, he was shooting close to 40% from 3.

That might be a bit strong. I think under Red and with another year under his belt, we might see a more consistent Benny. Remember, he was shooting close to 40% from 3.
If there is anyone on this roster who will benefit from not having JB as his coach anymore, it’s Benny. He is a sensitive kid and even less sensitive kids crumbled when they were JBs punching bag. No guarantees but I think he will be a looser and better player next year, hopefully as an Orange

Would be overjoyed to be wrong on my take.

• low court IQ
  • poor shot mechanics

Not even close.

Sometimes, it happens.

This is laughable. Benny has all the tools to become a great player, just hasn’t clicked yet.

If there is anyone on this roster who will benefit from not having JB as his coach anymore, it’s Benny. He is a sensitive kid and even less sensitive kids crumbled when they were JBs punching bag. No guarantees but I think he will be a looser and better player next year, hopefully as an Orange
I think he had a turnaround almost instantly when he found out his new coach was Red Autry... The last few games were night and day from the previous 28.

In those four games, he was 9 of 13 shooting threes. He shot 13 of his seasons 48 threes in those four games. Something changed that he suddenly became a gunner from 3. He also pulled down three of his best five rebounding totals. This includes, btw, the game where he only played 8 minutes against Wake.

Whatever it was, he looked like a different player.

I know we've seen this before, with Benny Williams specifically... But we've also seen guys have dramatic jumps in performance that permanently improve their game. That season ending stretch is less likely to be a fluke than his one good game against Duke the year before.

This is a Brenden Straughn thread. Not a Benny thread. It would also be nice if people would take a break from mocking/trashing our own players.

Let's hope Red and (hopefully) coach Straughn can get more out of him.

He is certainly a player that could use a change, so I am mildly hopeful about that (if he stays and doesn't portal.)

Last edited:
This is a Brenden Straughn thread. Not a Benny thread. It would also be nice if people would take a break from mocking/trashing our own players.

Word.

Back to Brenden.

Why the delay in announcing this hire? Guessing it is probably the vetting process for all new hires.

Assuming all goes well there, maybe there will be an announcement Monday.

Regarding the high profile player that he is said to be bringing with him….the clues are

1) former TTO player
2) guard
3) comes from an outstanding program

Thinking the only players that meet these criteria are Moore and Roach. Still thinking Roach because I think he fits a bit better and I can find more links between Jeremy and Brenden than between Justin and Brendan.

Roach is a terrific defender and his in ball pressure wound really help us transition to a man to man defense. Would be great in a press too.

Word.

Back to Brenden.

Why the delay in announcing this hire? Guessing it is probably the vetting process for all new hires.

Assuming all goes well there, maybe there will be an announcement Monday.

Regarding the high profile player that he is said to be bringing with him….the clues are

1) former TTO player
2) guard
3) comes from an outstanding program

Thinking the only players that meet these criteria are Moore and Roach. Still thinking Roach because I think he fits a bit better and I can find more links between Jeremy and Brenden than between Justin and Brendan.

Roach is a terrific defender and his in ball pressure wound really help us transition to a man to man defense. Would be great in a press too.

Interesting.. haven't had time to read through and didn't realize he is coming with a player... Roach has finally started playing this year at the level of recruit he is- that would be a hell of a get. Assuming it's a get where we go 3 guards and don't lose Judah..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom