New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Ryan Young has an option for a 5th year due to a COVID exemption. Both parents are Cuse grads/athletes and he’s from NJ
Yep well aware of his Syracuse family connections, wasn’t aware of him still having eligibility left. Thanks

It's fun to speculate again.

Erik Reynolds from St. Joe's averaged 20 a game. DMV kid. Recruited by Straughn to SJU. If we need a 3rd guard who can score and is athletic, he's a good fit. Not a knock-down shooter but good enough.

He will have 2 years left, so you could sell him 20-25 mpg this year and a starting role next year possibly.

I would rather a forward who can come in and be a 30 mpg guy opposite Benny Williams.

Oduro would be spectacular. 16/8 PF. Yes please.

Yup, looks solid as hell...

oduro.jpg

This guy's also now in the portal and is a "Team Takeover" guy also connected with Straughn:

E.J. Jarvis - F, 6'8" - Yale

Last edited:
Oduro is a strictly back to the basket player. No outside shot to speak of. If that’s the play, he’s productive but is more like Jesse than our prototypical F. Decent athlete, not elite. Upgrade to Brown, would push Williams to the 3. Not a lot of shooting with that starting group.

Oduro is a strictly back to the basket player. No outside shot to speak of. If that’s the play, he’s productive but is more like Jesse than our prototypical F. Decent athlete, not elite. Upgrade to Brown, would push Williams to the 3. Not a lot of shooting with that starting group.

We don't know what a "prototypical Syracuse F is anymore" to claim someone isn't that.

We don't know what a "prototypical Syracuse F is anymore" to claim someone isn't that.
It is a fair point. If the new staff wants to be different, I am all for that.

He's a productive college player at a pretty high level. Been 1st Team All-A-10 each of the last two years.

He can certainly play. And maybe him being paired with Edwards would be beneficial for both players with a different system.

PG - Mintz
SG - Starling
SF - Williams
PF - Oduro
C - Williams

That's a legit starting 5 with size and length. Not much shooting to speak of, but I am sure it could be a menace defensively if put in the right position to be.

It is a fair point. If the new staff wants to be different, I am all for that.

He's a productive college player at a pretty high level. Been 1st Team All-A-10 each of the last two years.

He can certainly play. And maybe him being paired with Edwards would be beneficial for both players with a different system.

PG - Mintz
SG - Starling
SF - Williams
PF - Oduro
C - Williams

That's a legit starting 5 with size and length. Not much shooting to speak of, but I am sure it could be a menace defensively if put in the right position to be.
I'm worried about shooting too, but part of me thinks Judah will shoot high 30s from 3 next year. Maybe JJ too. And if JT and/or CB stick around we'll have one or two marksmen, whether starting or off the bench. Will probably be a weakness, but maybe not as bad as we think.

You literally just described Maliq Brown… Also important to note that these players are few and far between. Stretch 4s are the new prototype.
Yeah. Context was in relation to comments about another high end guy coming in. I like Maliq allot, I am with you on that. If he can be our glass cleaner game in and game out great.

Not true. The team has usually had good rebounding forwards and centers.

More the forwards have put up the rebounding numbers over the years, because the centers are challenging the shots, taking themselves a bit out of position to rebound.

Yeah. Context was in relation to comments about another high end guy coming in. I like Maliq allot, I am with you on that. If he can be our glass cleaner game in and game out great.

He's gonna have to bulk up to make that next leap.

Traditionally, we're not a program that "bulks-up" players with nutritionists, custom food plans and workouts by player (or if we are, I've seen little success from it).

Thinking Dolezaj most recently (I think our win for him was getting him to quit butts, LOL.) ...And our revolving door of beanpole project centers...

Maybe Red can change that too?

He hit two 3's and another jumper in this game. Might not shoot from the outside often, but looks capable:

Moore was not very good this year. I get he’s a name, but he’s also coming off an Achilles tear.

He hit two 3's and another jumper in this game. Might not shoot from the outside often, but looks capable:

Meh. He shot 23% from 3 taking about one per game. That’s not very good, and he’s stepping up a level. Majority of highlights he has are postup moves. He’s a lefty, which would probably help him be more effective against certain teams who don’t read scouting reports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom