New Clemson Athletic Facility | Syracusefan.com

New Clemson Athletic Facility

Woke up this morning to ESPN SC showing one of the Oklahoma players giving a tour of their new facilities. Unreal. The rich get richer...

I feel like Syracuse is always going to be a step behind. Just when we catch up, our facilities become obsolete when compared to the big boys. We finally got 1080p and now the football factories go 4k.

I know people can do what they want with their own money but seriously this is and has been getting ridiculous. I'll never understand the need for all this money going into anything sports related and that includes SU. Maybe it's just me but people are idolizing the wrong things when it comes to giving out money.

The "arms race" is getting out of control. The spending on athletics at institutions of higher learning is excessive.

Noooooooo. ;)

Shouldn't these kids be in class instead of the nap room after 3 hard hours of miniature golf?

Well at least after College they can work at the Mini-golf courses.

Most of what was mentioned in that article has nothing to do with making anyone a better athlete or student. Give me the therapy pools and the nap room. The other stuff is recreational. Why not use the recreational activities available to the rest of the student body and interact with people other those on the football team. Isn't part of the college experience about doing just that? These other things just encourage seclusion from everyone else.

instead we built a locker room on par with CBA and we are fine with it......smh......

Everyone can talk all they want about how facilities don't matter, but give me a break, you will take the hot chick every time, as opposed to the fat chick with a good personality

Last edited:
The "arms race" is getting out of control. The spending on athletics at institutions of higher learning is excessive.

This is all private money. None of it came from the coffers of the university or athletic department. Syracuse has a number of very successful alumni, but can't get them to donate to anything much less athletics. This is something Syverud has to address.

I know people can do what they want with their own money but seriously this is and has been getting ridiculous. I'll never understand the need for all this money going into anything sports related and that includes SU. Maybe it's just me but people are idolizing the wrong things when it comes to giving out money.

Most people identify with their alma mater through sports. When the basketball team is good, it always comes up in conversations when people ask where did I go to school. If they want to give their hard earned money to something that will increase the profile the university, then so be it. It is better than nothing. If I had that kind of money to give away to SU, I would without hesitation.

instead we built a locker room on par with CBA and we are fine with it...smh...

Everyone can talk all they want about how facilities don't matter, but give me a break, you will take the hot chick every time, as opposed to the fat chick with a good personality
For the 18th time, the locker room the players mainly use is at Manley Field House, not the Dome.

It's not the big business vs academic stuff that gets me going. I just think it's a waste of money that should go to the players in a way that is actually helpful.

This is all private money. None of it came from the coffers of the university or athletic department. Syracuse has a number of very successful alumni, but can't get them to donate to anything much less athletics. This is something Syverud has to address.
I don't think he is saying that. I think he's refering to our culture in general. We worship sports and demonstrate that by how we spend/donate our money. There is research for cancer, ALS, HIV, various genetic disorders, etc. that would benefit from the money being donated to schools in the hopes that we impress 17 year olds to come play for our team so that we can be entertained. Of course there is nothing wrong with rooting for our teams, but it should be prioritized properly.

Yeah that multi-million dollar hub with the players lounge, cafeteria, locker room, weight room, auditorium, meeting rooms, etc... "sucks"

If only they had a nap room
Hmmm...it was just this morning someone posted a little tidbit about exit interviews with SU athletes. At the top of the list? [paraphrazing] Facilities lacking compared to other conference schools.

But yeah, our digs are the bomb! 'Cuse in the house!!!

Hmmm...it was just this morning someone posted a little tidbit about exit interviews with SU athletes. At the top of the list? [paraphrazing] Facilities lacking compared to other conference schools.

But yeah, our digs are the bomb! 'Cuse in the house!!!

This argument is the worst

Does anyone else remember when you were lucky enough to catch a nap, it was in your own dorm room/apartment? Talk about an open invitation for trouble. Even if there are no PedState/Baylor type incidences, players napping in a lounge area with other players is simply too good to pass up for practical jokes, which generally are not very practical the receiving party.

Seriously, schools should be limited to the related needs of the student athletes. Accommodating class schedules (or tutors for the missed classes); exercise/weight training/cafeteria, etc. are reasonable in that student athletes need specialized equipment, more access to to, specialized diets, etc.; even a private lounge can be acceptable. However, a whifle ball field, bowling alley, nap room, private TVs at the game day lockers, and so on are simply excess. Private schools should refuse the nonsense spending and State schools should be mandated to reject it, while channeling the school or state. Taxpayers should not have to pay taxes for a school that can waste money on frivolous nonsense to woo an athlete. Yes, I know sometimes this is "donated" but schools can ensure donations are used in nonfrivolous manners and can tie the sports origin to the overall improvement of the school.

I personally like the idea of hiring additional professor/tutor staff to ensure athletes can major in any of the school's degree opportunities.

Does anyone else remember when you were lucky enough to catch a nap, it was in your own dorm room/apartment? Talk about an open invitation for trouble. Even if there are no PedState/Baylor type incidences, players napping in a lounge area with other players is simply too good to pass up for practical jokes, which generally are not very practical the receiving party.

Seriously, schools should be limited to the related needs of the student athletes. Accommodating class schedules (or tutors for the missed classes); exercise/weight training/cafeteria, etc. are reasonable in that student athletes need specialized equipment, more access to to, specialized diets, etc.; even a private lounge can be acceptable. However, a whifle ball field, bowling alley, nap room, private TVs at the game day lockers, and so on are simply excess. Private schools should refuse the nonsense spending and State schools should be mandated to reject it, while channeling the school or state. Taxpayers should not have to pay taxes for a school that can waste money on frivolous nonsense to woo an athlete. Yes, I know sometimes this is "donated" but schools can ensure donations are used in nonfrivolous manners and can tie the sports origin to the overall improvement of the school.

I personally like the idea of hiring additional professor/tutor staff to ensure athletes can major in any of the school's degree opportunities.

Then you simply don't get donations period if you ensure that they are used in "nonfrivolous manners". You can't tell a donor what to do with their money.