New Clemson Athletic Facility | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Clemson Athletic Facility

Here is IMG Academy, a high school program locker room.
c3s_IMGlockers051715_15221720_8col.jpg

Iowa State
4044b2b5318514dd951efb6079d6fa17--iowa-state-cyclones-gym-design.jpg

Both our Dome and Manley locker rooms are on par with Appalachian State, not P5 schools.

Oh, I know. Images were from a HS program, Iowa State and App State...that I posted.

People keep saying that the Manley lockers are the ones used more often and therefore have to be better than the Dome locker room.

Someone please tell me why Manley is so much better than the Dome, because I am seeing that they are virtually identical other than the Stainless "S" and the enclosed top and bottom? That and a few murals here and there really make the difference apparently.

Also, why did they go with a veneer flat-pack IKEA looking lockers? I have a cheap armoire in my basement with the same pattern that I use for extra canned and dry foods.

Last edited:
We should only have a program if we're as rich as Clemson? You want FBS to shrink to what, 20 state schools?
You're putting an awful lot of words in my mouth...

I am really surprised with this thread. Yes, we lack some of the bells and whistles. Yes this school's AD doesn't have the donations others do. Yes they spend what they have on percentage par with top schools. All I am seeing and hearing is we lack metallic paint and color changing LED accent lighting. God we suck! Upgrade the weight room, OK. Upgrade med staff, med and training facilities? OK but I think we recently made upgrades to the training rooms. Upgrade tutoring and educational facilities? OK. Art on the IPF walls? Neon lights? Not enough PlayStations? Give me a break and learn to prioritize. More money means more stuff gets done. I don't think we should spend a dime on a mirror ball in the lounge until some of the other stuff is addressed. The bad exit interviews are from the entire AD. I am not surprised the field hockey team isn't satisfied with their facilities compared with others

I am really surprised with this thread. Yes, we lack some of the bells and whistles. Yes this school's AD doesn't have the donations others do. Yes they spend what they have on percentage par with top schools. All I am seeing and hearing is we lack metallic paint and color changing LED accent lighting. God we suck! Upgrade the weight room, OK. Upgrade med staff, med and training facilities? OK but I think we recently made upgrades to the training rooms. Upgrade tutoring and educational facilities? OK. Art on the IPF walls? Neon lights? Not enough PlayStations? Give me a break and learn to prioritize. More money means more stuff gets done. I don't think we should spend a dime on a mirror ball in the lounge until some of the other stuff is addressed. The bad exit interviews are from the entire AD. I am not surprised the field hockey team isn't satisfied with their facilities compared with others
This is how CFB and Recruiting works. When you can't pay players, it's the bells and whistles that come into play.

Last edited:
IMO, private universities without high level donors (and endowments) and with lower undergraduate student enrollments will always be behind spending on major football programs.

I wish we could compete against the large public schools that invest heavily on facilities, but I just don't see it happening. We have more in common with Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Duke, USC, Vandy, BC, and Wake then FSU and Clemson. BTW, Cuse is behind all of those private schools in size of endowment other than Wake.

Only way Cuse invests a significant amount in football facilities is if a high level donor specifically says, "Here's $50M to go towards the Dome and Manley." I guarantee you that if there is an alum out there with that kind of coin, they are also being targeted by Advancement to direct those funds elsewhere at the university.

We don't even have a nutritionist. Davidson does:

Staff Directory

Elizabeth Allred.

We don't even have a nutritionist. Davidson does:

Staff Directory

Elizabeth Allred.
This type of stuff also comes into play when trying to keep coaches like, oh, I don't know...Dino Babers, should he prove worthwhile of locking up long term. Tough to sell a hot commodity on staying here when we lack basic ammenities other programs offer.

I replied to a post about the locker rooms not other facilities. Try and keep up.

Have you been in the ones in Manley and the Dome one? And how many other schools have you been to to compare?

The overall mission of any university is educating the student. Any school fails to educate students in life that cannot tell a student, "you cannot have a nap room at the locker room, go to your dorm/apartment and take a nap." What's next, safe spaces on the football field?
Great post, especially that point. Educational institutions are failing in their mission and people are here arguing about nonsense.

Great post, especially that point. Educational institutions are failing in their mission and people are here arguing about nonsense.
I don't think people are arguing for nap rooms and the necessity of them. However, you have to ask yourself if you want to compete at a Championship Level or if you're cool just being a bowl team, occasionally Top 25.

Right now we're looking at the latter and it's purely because of conference affiliation. That ACC logo on our jerseys provides that because the $$$ in our program does not.

The blame falls squarely on the university. Su has big time alumni and they aren't getting the donations so clearly they are doing something wrong and that reflects on the amenities of the sports programs. Yes they are okay but they aren't anywhere near where they should be. The question is are they spending on par. The numbers say yes but if you account for tuition being higher at su then say Clemson or Miami then they aren't spending the same amount. The payout isnt on par and is a bloated number. People keeping saying they aren't the main locker rooms but that's not an excuse. Kids want to be wowed and the dome locker room isn't a wow. You can shine a turd but in the end it's still the same thing. My only hope is this is a stop gap for when a new stadium or a major renovation comes. Su has always done the bare minimum when it comes to these Things and this is exactly what they did with this remodel. Look at the pics, when smaller schools are able to do a current standards remodel then why can't Syracuse. The melo center was done right and it paid off. It's time to find he money for football.

Have you been in the ones in Manley and the Dome one? And how many other schools have you been to to compare?
Can't speak for gmoney, but I've personally seen Memphis, Cincinnati, Jacksonville State, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Birmingham Southern (D3), MTSU, Vanderbilt, South Alabama, Ole Miss, Western Michigan; those are the ones I can remember. Of those, we're on par with South Alabama, Ole Miss, Memphis, and (maybe) JSU. Western Michigan now has a few billionaire donors, and a number of multi-millionaire donors, willing to throw a ton of money at the program and the school. We've got better bling than MTSU and Birmingham Southern. Ole Miss, if I remember correctly, was improving/building stuff. South Alabama now has the money to finally build their on-campus stadium and improve their current facilities. It'll take them a few years, though. The others are better than SU.

I don't think people are arguing for nap rooms and the necessity of them. However, you have to ask yourself if you want to compete at a Championship Level or if you're cool just being a bowl team, occasionally Top 25.

Right now we're looking at the latter and it's purely because of conference affiliation. That ACC logo on our jerseys provides that because the $$$ in our program does not.
I do that the sense that some are arguing for nap room -type bells and whistles, but maybe that's not correct. Either way I see no correlation between that waste and championships. If anything it's the prior success that drives the ridiculous spending, not the other way around.

It appears we are still using dial up, albeit we've gone from 14.4 kbps to 28.8, while our colleagues (you know the same one's we complete with in our league) are running not only high speed cable, but fiber optics at that. ;):(

It appears we are still using dial up, albeit we've gone from 14.4 kbps to 28.8, while our colleagues (you know the same one's we complete with in our league) are running not only cable, but fiber optics at that. ;):(
Yea, I won't get on the University for not being able to go 0-100 and compete with Clemson/FSU out the gate but I think most would admit that we need to do much better to be on par with Top 25 caliber schools.

Syracuse's greatest advantages are Babers and Sean Edinger. I consider Edinger to be THE secret weapon that will be responsible for the team going 5-7 or better this year. Pretty much everything else, though, isn't all that impressive and, in some instances, downright pathetic.

Yea, I won't get on the University for not being able to go 0-100 and compete with Clemson/FSU out the gate but I think most would admit that we need to do much better to be on par with Top 25 caliber schools.
Agree. I don't think anyone wants or believes we can compete with these schools. But at the very least we need to compete with pier schools. Does a tomb looking locker room with cheap plywood lockers and a rug with the wrong shades of blue and orange say on par. No one on their right mind can say that. Yes it's an upgrade from a poor high school locker room but that's all it is.

There are 2 types of schools these days when it comes to College Football...

A) Schools that have a football team
B) Schools that are in the Business of Football

The Schools in group "A" are behind the times or don't care enough about college football. And they wax poetic about the old days and what it "used to be" and think if you hope and pray enough we can have that miracle year once again like back in the good ole' days. But in reality they have no chance of ever winning a national title or competing for one.

The schools in group "B" they are programs and universities that spend every single day year round on making the football team and football program better. How much money the football program makes and how many games they win on the field is life or death to those schools and the people that run it.

Agree. I don't think anyone wants or believes we can compete with these schools. But at the very least we need to compete with pier schools. Does a tomb looking locker room with cheap plywood lockers and a rug with the wrong shades of blue and orange say on par. No one on their right mind can say that. Yes it's an upgrade from a poor high school locker room but that's all it is.
"pier schools"??? How many schools actually have docking facilities for the wealthy yacht owners?

I've been in the old Dome locker rooms and the Tennessee locker room. While I haven't personally been in many I've seen the pictures posted on this forum and it's not hard to find pictures of almost any locker room you want on google.