New Clemson Athletic Facility | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Clemson Athletic Facility

Hmmm...it was just this morning someone posted a little tidbit about exit interviews with SU athletes. At the top of the list? [paraphrazing] Facilities lacking compared to other conference schools.

But yeah, our digs are the bomb! 'Cuse in the house!!!
I'm curious where we fall. Certainly we're below Clemson and FSU. I don't expect that to ever change.

Behind doesn't always mean inadequate. I think hiring a nutritionist(s) and squaring away the medical staff problems are ultimately more important than how many cool things we have. Whether high school kids agree with me is another matter.

At some point, the college facilities are going to be so good that players will be disappointed in the facilities they have as pros. Maybe we're already there for some schools.

Does anyone else remember when you were lucky enough to catch a nap, it was in your own dorm room/apartment? Talk about an open invitation for trouble. Even if there are no PedState/Baylor type incidences, players napping in a lounge area with other players is simply too good to pass up for practical jokes, which generally are not very practical the receiving party.

Seriously, schools should be limited to the related needs of the student athletes. Accommodating class schedules (or tutors for the missed classes); exercise/weight training/cafeteria, etc. are reasonable in that student athletes need specialized equipment, more access to to, specialized diets, etc.; even a private lounge can be acceptable. However, a whifle ball field, bowling alley, nap room, private TVs at the game day lockers, and so on are simply excess. Private schools should refuse the nonsense spending and State schools should be mandated to reject it, while channeling the school or state. Taxpayers should not have to pay taxes for a school that can waste money on frivolous nonsense to woo an athlete. Yes, I know sometimes this is "donated" but schools can ensure donations are used in nonfrivolous manners and can tie the sports origin to the overall improvement of the school.

I personally like the idea of hiring additional professor/tutor staff to ensure athletes can major in any of the school's degree opportunities.

you mean every day of college?

Hmmm...it was just this morning someone posted a little tidbit about exit interviews with SU athletes. At the top of the list? [paraphrazing] Facilities lacking compared to other conference schools.

But yeah, our digs are the bomb! 'Cuse in the house!!!
Cool, donate some money if you want better facilities. WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO COMPETE.

I'm curious where we fall. Certainly we're below Clemson and FSU. I don't expect that to ever change.

Behind doesn't always mean inadequate. I think hiring a nutritionist(s) and squaring away the medical staff problems are ultimately more important than how many cool things we have. Whether high school kids agree with me is another matter.

At some point, the college facilities are going to be so good that players will be disappointed in the facilities they have as pros. Maybe we're already there for some schools.

Most G5 programs, quite honestly.

you mean every day of college?

lol right. I caught a nap every day especially when I had no classes on Friday (managed to accomplish that 3 years of 4).

Who cares, they both suck.

Maybe you haven't taken the virtual tour of the Icolano - Petty football complex here. If you do you will see that it doesn't as you say "suck". And, I don't think anyone involved in the planning, building, construction and donating the money to build it would be enamored with your description.

Maybe you haven't taken the virtual tour of the Icolano - Petty football complex here. If you do you will see that it doesn't as you say "suck". And, I don't think anyone involved in the planning, building, construction and donating the money to build it would be enamored with your description.

I don't care what they or anyone else thinks. When compared to most other P5 schools SUs locker rooms suck. I'm not big on pumping a bunch of money on the locker rooms. I think we could get more bang for our buck elsewhere but the fact is comparatively they do in fact suck.

Someone should file a title ix complaint against Clemson. What could they possibly be providing to female student athletes that is equitable to this?

Yeah that multi-million dollar hub with the players lounge, cafeteria, locker room, weight room, auditorium, meeting rooms, etc... "sucks"

If only they had a nap room
I replied to a post about the locker rooms not other facilities. Try and keep up.

Then you simply don't get donations period if you ensure that they are used in "nonfrivolous manners". You can't tell a donor what to do with their money.

You can, but you don't have to, you simply close the door on frivolous spending. Perhaps you don't get as much because they wanted to do something frivolous but isn't a donation to what is needed by a school more valuable than any amount of frivolity spent for a select handful of students? I.e.: Needs of School get s $0.00; Frivolity gets $1MM vs. Needs of School $100K; Frivolity $0.00. The second option is far more beneficial and tangible. Especially in a State school setting wherein the taxpayer is actually subsidizing the cost of attendance to lower the price for the student. If State U can receive money from the State, the State should reduce any contribution to teh full amount for any and all frivolous spending.

Locker rooms are a necessity and they can be finished in a good manner, accommodating to personnel and a few amenities, but nap rooms, whiffle ball fields, etc. are simply a waste that taxpayers should not have to subsidize, even if a donor pays the full shot (which usually is NOT the case).

Let's be honest, if a big donor really cares about the school or is simply looking for recognition, the donor will accept guidance on what the school needs (funding a chair, new academic building or dorm or sports complex), scholarships, new field of study, new school, funding athletic scholarships (which frees up the money for other school purposes); and make a donation. Does anyone really believe that Big Time Donor actually went to School X and declared, "I have $1MM and it can only be used for a whiffle ball field for the football team!" Generally, donors are solicited for specific gifts or they approach the school with an idea that will benefit the school, even if it just the hoops' team locker room or the Diving facility, etc.

The overall mission of any university is educating the student. Any school fails to educate students in life that cannot tell a student, "you cannot have a nap room at the locker room, go to your dorm/apartment and take a nap." What's next, safe spaces on the football field?

I replied to a post about the locker rooms not other facilities. Try and keep up.
Did you miss the part in the locker room thread where it was pointed out that a lot of schools use the same locker rooms for game day and practice whereas SU has two separate places, or the part where it doesn't make sense to mess with the structure of a building to update locker rooms when that building is slated for a major renovation soon?

This thread is about Clemson's "other facilities" not their gameday locker room. Try to stay on topic.

But hey, we have those sweet new wooden lockers. With that wonderful ceiling.

Cool, donate some money if you want better facilities. WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO COMPETE.

Hah. Yeah.

This Clemson facility is not at their stadium. It's where the players spend most of their time. Same to SU. Obviously clemsons is better. You're mad that SU doesn't have $55 million to make their practice facility this nice?

Then why do we have a program?

Did you miss the part in the locker room thread where it was pointed out that a lot of schools use the same locker rooms for game day and practice whereas SU has two separate places, or the part where it doesn't make sense to mess with the structure of a building to update locker rooms when that building is slated for a major renovation soon?

This thread is about Clemson's "other facilities" not their gameday locker room. Try to stay on topic.

Ya, I got that guy and both our locker rooms suck in comparison. That was the post I responded to.perhaps you should read the post I quoted and my post again. This isn't rocket science.

Ya, I got that guy and both our locker rooms suck in comparison. That was the post I responded to.perhaps you should read the post I quoted and my post again. This isn't rocket science.
Sure, it isn't rocket science but apparently it is reading comprehension. The article in the OP isn't about locker rooms. The post you responded to tried to put you on track. You apparently don't care and want to talk about locker rooms.

Anyone, including you, that says our facilities are not as good as Clemson's is absolutely right. Here's some news that's just as shocking... water is wet. If you're waiting for us to catch to them, you'll be waiting a long time. I don't think Irma is gonna be strong enough to wipe them off the map.

I think if you're smart about where they invest they will be fine. Our facilities were seriously lacking before 2012. I mean bottom of the barrel FCS level bad. At least now we have the important stuff. The IPF was needed, not only because most schools have one at this point, but for it's actual use (crazy right, an expensive part of the facility actually being useful). I do think they could deck it out with some murals and color relatively cheap to snazz it up a bit. I also think the University should invest in the medical facilities. That shouldn't require private money. Get some cool stuff in there like underwater treadmills, and stuff like that. They did a great job renovating the team meeting room, and I believe they did the position ones as well? Those were well done. The Manley locker room isn't embarrassing. It definitely doesn't have the bells and whistles, but all that is pretty unnecessary. Just make sure you hook up the individual lockers with electronics, etc. The lounge area is kind of cheap looking, but I think that could be made over pretty inexpensively. Get rid of the cheap carpet and put in some school colors. Add a couple game stations, arcade games, and basically just pimp it out like a man cave on cribs and you add a lot for relatively little. That really doesn't leave much? The entrance to Manley is extremely well done. It does a great job of showing off our past and getting history of our program across in a way 16-18 year old kids can relate too. Hell you can even get crazy and add a nap room just by throwing in some leather recliners and beds. Throw in some school colors and all of a sudden it looks like you have some bells and whistles. The last part is the nutrition center. I also think the University should foot the bill for that. Our weight room could use some expanding. That would require some fundraising, but if they could expand that, and have the University add in a station with all sorts of nutritional needs you all of a sudden have some pretty great facilities. We're not that far off. Just have to spend wisely.

Sure, it isn't rocket science but apparently it is reading comprehension. The article in the OP isn't about locker rooms. The post you responded to tried to put you on track. You apparently don't care and want to talk about locker rooms.

Anyone, including you, that says our facilities are not as good as Clemson's is absolutely right. Here's some news that's just as shocking... water is wet. If you're waiting for us to catch to them, you'll be waiting a long time. I don't think Irma is gonna be strong enough to wipe them off the map.

I'll take one more stab at this for our "special" members of the board like you sufandu. The post I replied to was pointing out that the locker room at Manley was the one that mattered. Not the one at the Dome. I said they both suck, which they do compared to almost every P5 school, some non P5 schools and even many high schools in football factory areas.

Do you comprehend the evolution of the tread now? I didn't bring it off track. I was just pointing out the obvious to everyone else except you and a hand full of people on this board.

Also if you bothered reading the thread before you post you would see that I said that I'm not in favor of dumping a ton of money on locker rooms. I think the money could be better used in other places for a university that will never be in the same stratosphere as the Jones.

What types of things are we lacking?
Depends on what you want. If you want to compete with FSU, Clemson, 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida, etc, or the more affluent G5 programs, you're pretty much lacking everything. If it makes you feel any better, SU is pretty much on par with Ole Miss, Memphis, Southern Miss, South Alabama, etc. in terms of facilities and such.

For the 18th time, the locker room the players mainly use is at Manley Field House, not the Dome.
If our Manley locker room was in any way on par with some of these other schools images we have seen then I could care less about the Dome lockers, which are fine. There are lower level P5 schools and FCS schools that have better locker rooms than our touted Manley locker room. Which by the way isn't much different than the Dome Locker room.

Other than the Stainless steel "S" and the enclosed top and bottom, why is the Manley Locker Room so much better than the Dome? Oh, forgot about the odd mural or 2 around the corner.

Manley - Suppose to be the flag ship
1017496_477249009034125_312747974_n.jpg

263306_477249005700792_493108294_n.jpg

Dome Lockers -
23300201-mmmain.jpg

Woke up this morning to ESPN SC showing one of the Oklahoma players giving a tour of their new facilities. Unreal. The rich get richer...

Oklahoma has to do it just to keep kids there and try to draw others in. Won't change the fact they are in the B12 and have to run the table to make a playoff.

However, I hear the BIG offer is imminent...and this is to satiate Delany and prove their worthiness. ;)