New Clemson Athletic Facility | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Clemson Athletic Facility

We've joined an interior decorator board

That is exactly what seems to be happening, and the primary complaint that everyone seems to have but can't put into words is that they don't like our lack of a ceiling. If we had a ceiling with a glowing "S" hanging from it, as well as edge lighting and accent lighting everywhere, we'd be in MUCH better shape by everyone's assessment. I think the school has not done a great job of masterplanning many of these components, but that is not equivalent to not having the component.

If you want to see the best facilities architecturally, look at Oregon first, then look to the facility Northwestern is planning.

Student-Athlete Wellness Comes First at Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Center
University of Oregon John E. Jaqua Academic Center for Student Athletes / ZGF Architects
The "Ferrari leather" is a company called Poltrona Frau. look up their furniture if you want to understand the costs for their product

As for Northwestern, theirs is not Football dedicated (and nor is Boston College's for the record despite what everyone here is implying) but the facility is beyond top notch and the main donor has VERY deep pockets. She and her family were the main donors of a rehab hospital in downtown Chicago that I was a designer on.
Ryan Fieldhouse and Walter Athletics Center: Facilities Management - Northwestern University
AbilityLab New RIC Page

We've joined an interior decorator board
Lol! I know. It's crazy, but if it helps land recruits, they're going to make football Disneyland...

For the recruits that dream of being paid, they can find that #, and they're going to expect things.(ex. Fair market value of a Texas player is $671,000/yr...man, those new lockers are nice)

Btw. In addition to the student rec center, BC is also building the athlete glass structure, looking onto the practice field. Scaled down version of Oregon's) $200 mil includes student rec center.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many times I have to mention this but Syracuse is absolutely keeping up with peer schools. Go look up Boston College or NC State's locker rooms. This narrative is terrible.
I have looked up both and seen images and both are better than SU.

Matter of fact I listed images of a HS that has a better locker room, as well as pictures of App. St., JSU and others that aren't in the P5 or even G5 that are better.

The point is that they need to stop cheaping out and spending at the lower end of the spectrum on everything they do. The only 2 things that they didn't go cheaply on are the Melo Center and the IPF. Which are both good.

My fear is that with the Dome reno, like usual thaey announce a 200-250 mil renovation and we most likely will be disappointed adn just get another teflon roof for 22 mil. Kick the can down the road.

I would bet that design firms come up with some awesome ideas and present them, then hit them with the price tag. SU then powow's amongst themselves and the reply is...

"This looks absolutely fantastic, amazing design, great use of the space and lighting...now, take away all the bells and whistles that make it great and we have a deal...oh and be sure the adjusted price reflects the changes. OK, thanks!"

Matter of fact I listed images of a HS that has a better locker room, as well as pictures of App. St., JSU and others that aren't in the P5 or even G5 that are better.

The point is that they need to stop cheaping out and spending at the lower end of the spectrum on everything they do. The only 2 things that they didn't go cheaply on are the Melo Center and the IPF. Which are both good.

My fear is that with the Dome reno, like usual thaey announce a 200-250 mil renovation and we most likely will be disappointed adn just get another teflon roof for 22 mil. Kick the can down the road.

They didn't cheap out on the football complex.

They didn't cheap out on the football complex.
I know, they spent around $5 mil to upgrade it when Marrone was here.

I thing Clemson spent more on their nap rooms and wiffleball equipment.

I am just wondering if the Dome renovation gets done before BC completes their $200 mil in renovations. Not completely sure if theirs is all athletics though.

I know you'll come back with something witty to try and educate us dummies as to why and how Clemson is "different" and why they have more money. Which we already know and we already know why.

The "why" really doesn't matter because that is our competition. Like it or not we will be compared to them and a lot of others with more money. Not saying we need to spend what they spend but the disparity between us spending $5 mil on an upgrade and them spending $128 mil is huge and getting wider. The question is how do we continue to compete with less and we really don't seem to be doing a great job of it.

Everyone seems to continue to say that winning will help and cure these types of ills. The truth is it won't. All the SU administration needs is to taste some success without spending any money and they will stop. Just like they did for about 20 years which put us so far behind and got us to this point.

I am just wondering if the Dome renovation gets done before BC completes their $200 mil in renovations. Not completely sure if theirs is all athletics though.

I know you'll come back with something witty to try and educate us dummies as to why and how Clemson is "different" and why they have more money. Which we already know and we already know why.

The "why" really doesn't matter because that is our competition. Like it or not we will be compared to them and a lot of others with more money. Not saying we need to spend what they spend but the disparity between us spending $5 mil on an upgrade and them spending $128 mil is huge and getting wider. The question is how do we continue to compete with less and we really don't seem to be doing a great job of it.

Everyone seems to continue to say that winning will help and cure these types of ills. The truth is it won't. All the SU administration needs is to taste some success without spending any money and they will stop. Just like they did for about 20 years which put us so far behind and got us to this point.

This might hurt some feelings or sound depressing so I apologize in advance. The honest truth is more than 90% of the time we won't compete with Clemson and FSU, we will have to be content for competing for 3rd to 5th place. That's still good enough to be borderline top 25.

Now you never know, Clemson may lose Dabo to Alabama in a couple years and then they make some bad decisions hiring a new coach like all football super powers have done at one time or another and be down temporarily. When that happens we need to strike and beat them and elevate our own profile while holding on to whatever coach we have that was responsible.

We are playing 5 card poker with 3 cards in this conference. We don't have the same geographic advantages these schools have, we don't have the funding, and we don't have the sustainable momentum in our favor. Our goal is to chip away at that disadvantage while at the same time strike when Lady Luck looks our way.

Here's something witty. Theres a lot of ignorance in that post. And no, It was not just $5m.

The $200 million is the fieldhouse, the rec center, and the new baseball and softball stadiums. The new fieldhouse is multi-sport and about 117,000 sf. Ours is about 90,000 I think.
I agree that we can't afford to stop or take a break and that is where we will really need to see the value of Wildhack.

And you do know BC got major gifts and continues to fund raise for their facilities. I'd say buck up.,

Why is the Melo center good, but the football wing isn't?

What people fail to realize when it comes to Women's lacrosse, is athletic donors can donate to whatever they wish, obviously there are a few donors that put high value on a successful women's LAX program, that and I am sure Gait has just a few connections in the lacrosse world. That being said, WHO THE F are people do tell other people where and who to donate too? What. You don't like the football facilities, write a check I am sure the University will accept it but don't go throwing stones at what the Women's LAX program has, people donated and the put the $ to use. God forbid

Why is the Melo center good, but the football wing isn't?
I think Manley is decent. Entrance is impressive, nicely thought out. It's more, we have a nice new Honda Civic, while our peers are showing up in BMW's and Bentley's...And some are bringing Bugatti's... It's, very much, a competition to impress 17 year olds... (winning helps) A proper dome reno, would rank highly among recruits.

Wasn't it a LAX player that donated the IPF? Mcnabb for the weight room? There are some donors.