Class of 2023 - New Commit: Jake Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Mid/FO | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Commit: Jake Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Mid/FO

No. 26 Jake Spallina, faceoff / midfield / SSDM, Mount Sinai (N.Y.) / Team 91 Long Island – ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ 94

Spallina’s such an interesting case because he has the potential to fill a number of roles at the next level. He’s a fast riser at the art of facing off and has been on a rapid ascent at the faceoff stripe in the past year or so, but tell him he’s a FOGO and be prepared to run for your life. Spallina prides himself in his ability to play defense, take faceoff wings when he’s not scrapping at the X, and chipping in offensively when the opportunity presents itself.

He plays angry and mean like his older brother Joey and twin Brett, and he’s at the top of a couple big schools’ boards because of his versatility, aggressiveness, toughness and overall talent. Spallina also put up 18 points this spring as a sophomore splitting time with ’22 Albany commit Austin Oppenheim (Team 91 LI Smash) at the X.

DF5054B2-D315-44F3-A81A-EA58D2C8D4E1.jpeg

Jake Spallina, M/FO, Mount Sinai (N.Y.) / Team 91 LI Bandits — Syracuse

A true three-way/utility middie who is super valuable in the shot clock era. A top 10 face-off man in the class, but also can add a lot on defense and offense. Seems to be getting better and better with time. Tough, physical and competes hard. Frequently comes up with difficult GB's in scrums. Expected to be the catalyst for plenty more Spallina-to-Spallina goals in the Carrier Dome.

I'm not sure what the reservations are here. I remember two midfielders in recent memory that did it all in high school and they did pretty well in college and in the professional ranks - K18 and the Zach Currier. Granted times have changed and those are lofty expectations, but I really enjoy the fact that Jake doesn't put any limits on himself; couple that with a strong work ethic, he could be one of the most valuable players in 2023.

Any thoughts on why The Last of the Spallinas (Brett, LSM) hasn't committed yet? Seem to me that if it were a sure thing he'd have signed by now. Maybe he really is considering other options? I saw him play last year, a little raw but has considerable upside. High IQ defender with a mean streak.

Any thoughts on why The Last of the Spallinas (Brett, LSM) hasn't committed yet? Seem to me that if it were a sure thing he'd have signed by now. Maybe he really is considering other options? I saw him play last year, a little raw but has considerable upside. High IQ defender with a mean streak.

Greg and Peter have moved out. Bobby doesn't have to sleep in the bottom bunk anymore.