Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

41312158-EC00-4BA2-B9DC-4C5A80373408.jpeg

With him being a Team 91 guy Duke is gonna be on him like a fly to crap. Desko and March are going to have their hands full for sure but him wearing SU apparel certainly is a positive sign.
He's a NY kid. We need to put him in a #22 jersey. ;)

Last edited:

Joey Spallina, A, Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
Finishing the five-game campaign with a whopping 21 goals and 13 assists, Spallina put on an absolute show (I legitimately ran out of room for his notes), which wasn't remotely surprising given all that he's done with Team 91 while playing up two grad years. There's so much to appreciate about his skillset, and it starts with a relentless work ethic and approach to the game — the kid keeps getting better and improving his body, as he looks better than ever. In Gatlinburg, he finished with poise and flair time after time, rode the ball back like his life depended on it and created a ton of opportunities for his teammates. An aspect of Spallina's game that's most enjoyable to watch is his ability to initiate contact and show an ever-present physicality with the ball in his stick. Constantly outsmarting a defense and begging them to overcommit, he loves to make things happen while backing down his man, as it's just one of the many ways in which he's able to create offense.

Some love for that Niskayuna player in the article as well.

Politics.

Best players on the most popular club teams.

yeah I know that I just wondered if there was a more specific process aside from the BS politics - like a phony tryout etc that they might have held; like the phony ones they do for the under armour tryouts.

Gonna be real interesting to see where he ends up. I know everyone has Duke pegged as the most likely destination but Cuse should be a major player here. March and Desko are going to have to pull out all the stops.

At this point the amount of random cuse related things has to count for something. Wears cuse stuff, wears #22, friends with guys on the team. Can he just up and go to Duke with a clear conscience?

At this point the amount of random cuse related things has to count for something. Wears cuse stuff, wears #22, friends with guys on the team. Can he just up and go to Duke with a clear conscience?

He’s still a junior in high school, his fandom could be all over the place. When I was a high school junior I would wear a Michigan shirt one day, a Florida shirt the next and probably a Colorado shirt the next. It’s great to have these signifiers, but he could be wearing UNC stuff as well. It’s just so hard to predict this stuff. I think there was an article about the Solomon brothers and it said Nicky wore Syracuse stuff growing up, while Nate did not and we saw how that worked out. Some of this stuff is just random.

I think some of you are going to be disappointed when Spallina commits. I would not completely discount Syracuse but he is far, far more likely to go to one of the southern ACCs (Duke, UNC, or UVA). I'd put Cuse in a tier near Maryland, Hopkins, and maybe a couple of the Ivies (Penn and Yale come to mind first) behind those first three. Next tier would be Harvard, Michigan, and Georgetown, who have all been coming in pretty hot on the recruiting trail lately.

I don't think Pietramala or Sunderland will be strongly considering Syracuse either. The kid from Niskayuna, Berhman, is probably a more realistic target.

I think some of you are going to be disappointed when Spallina commits. I would not completely discount Syracuse but he is far, far more likely to go to one of the southern ACCs (Duke, UNC, or UVA). I'd put Cuse in a tier near Maryland, Hopkins, and maybe a couple of the Ivies (Penn and Yale come to mind first) behind those first three. Next tier would be Harvard, Michigan, and Georgetown, who have all been coming in pretty hot on the recruiting trail lately.

I don't think Pietramala or Sunderland will be strongly considering Syracuse either. The kid from Niskayuna, Berhman, is probably a more realistic target.

I don't think anyone is going to be overly surprised or disappointed, if Spallina goes elsewhere. While SU is definitely play (more so then you think from what I have heard) I haven't heard or seen anyone note that SU is the leader or that were some sort of heavy favorite. In fact I think most still feel Duke is the most likely destination if you were putting money on it. SU hasn't been reeling in top 5 players for a number of years now, the last really being Evans until Hiltz's late flip. I am sure we would all like to change that with Spallina but its clear there will be a frenzy for him.

As for the other two, I haven't heard anything about SU pursuing Pietramala, hes likely IVY bound. As for Sunderland, SU doesn't get into many recruiting wars for the elite MIAA kids or at least they haven't since the 90's, much like Pietramala I don't think SU is going to waste much time if any recruiting him. SU still pulls some recruits out of there but I can't remember the last time they battled for an elite attackmen out of there. UVA Hop Maryland and probably Duke will likely be the top teams for him along with the usual IVY suspects and UNC.

SU has a history of getting Nisky kids so Berhman makes sense but tough to know at this point who the top targets are outside of Spallina and a few others. The local talent for 2022 isn't great either as the decline for Sec 3 and the surrounding areas unfortunately continues.

Then there's Spallina. What more needs to be said about this kid? More often than not, he's able to score at will and put up a half-dozen goals in a single game (which I believe he did on the first day), but is also incredibly selfless to the point that he's just as capable of posting three each in goals and assists. Nationally, it really does feel like Dom and Joey are head and shoulders above their fellow offensive recruits, as coaches have expressed that the key will be to find that next tier at the position.

Dukes gonna be real tough here as I noted a while back. An uphill climb for sure but hopefully the staff can make a big impression.
I agree. Probably our toughest competition, but I’m having faith that Desko and March can pull it off. Those national championship trophies belong in Syracuse, NY not Durham, NC.