Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Little nugget from the end of this article:

“There’s an expectation. When he comes around people knows who he is. He’s handled it with great maturity, and that’s why coaches are comfortable when they offer him a full or offer him a number. This kid’s not going to rest on his laurels. He loves everything that goes with the sport,” said Joe.”

“There’s an expectation. When he comes around people knows who he is. He’s handled it with great maturity, and that’s why coaches are comfortable when they offer him a full or offer him a number. This kid’s not going to rest on his laurels. He loves everything that goes with the sport,” said Joe.”

Id be shocked if he wasn't getting full ride offers or close to it. This is where schools like SU and others can work Duke's own recruiting against it.

Id be shocked if he wasn't getting full ride offers or close to it. This is where schools like SU and others can work Duke's own recruiting against it.
Agreed. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t offered #22. Could inherit it from Scanlan as a frosh if Chase elects not to use his “COVID” 5th year, though I’m still of the opinion that it was a factor in landing Hiltz. Time will tell.

I’m also curious how much of a factor his father’s/family’s ability to potentially watch Joey in The Dome in person on weekends that his Stony Brook women play at home may be. Women’s teams tend to play mostly on Sundays.

Could be 22. Could also be 1 at Maryland. Could also be 50 at Notre Dame. Could be a number somewhere else.

Based on what I heard over the weekend, the Spallina to UNC noise is getting pretty loud. Wouldn't be too shocked if Sunderland followed him there. At this point I'd put money on him NOT picking Duke. We'll likely find out in a few days.

Based on what I heard over the weekend, the Spallina to UNC noise is getting pretty loud. Wouldn't be too shocked if Sunderland followed him there. At this point I'd put money on him NOT picking Duke. We'll likely find out in a few days.

That would be quite the haul for UNC.

I got to say, I have grown even more appreciative of Desko's coaching acumen when you consider the classes these ACC teams get yearly. They stack top 10's and we still seem to more than hold our own. That said, I would love to see Spallina in Orange. :)

I got to say, I have grown even more appreciative of Desko's coaching acumen when you consider the classes these ACC teams get yearly. They stack top 10's and we still seem to more than hold our own. That said, I would love to see Spallina in Orange. :)

Agreed, although with March being in his second year recruiting now (or really his first full year) I would really like to see SU get at least 1 5 start and a couple 4 stars. Getting blanked again this year would be discouraging to say the least.

So you’re telling me he’s going to trust Breschi of all people to get him a national championship? That would be the LAST coach in the ACC I’d trust to help me get to Memorial Day weekend. But if he was going to go to any other ACC school that’s not Orange, I’m glad it’s UNC.

A9421BA1-3775-43E3-8FFF-B72A99C30F8E.jpeg

Never too late to change your mind though bud. Come have the best time of your life at the best program in the history of the sport;)

So you’re telling me he’s going to trust Breschi of all people to get him a national championship? That would be the LAST coach in the ACC I’d trust to help me get to Memorial Day weekend. But if he was going to go to any other ACC school that’s not Orange, I’m glad it’s UNC.

UNC has won a national championship more recently than every team in the conference except for UVA. Notre Dame has never won one. Yes yes they "got hot at the right time" but at the end of the day they got it done just four years ago. Breschi would not be #1 on my list to win on Memorial Day weekend...but he wouldn't be last either.
With the programs he's looking at, since they are all legitimate Final Four contenders I imagine he's just going with best school/lacrosse/personality fit at this point and less trying to dissect the exact probabilities of which ones may or may not provide the best chance of winning a championship.

I have long thought that the overall depth of a team determines to some extent the performance and results in a season. For me, a championship team requires at least one superior scorer and five other above average capable scorers all of whom are dangerous in the offensive end. It's the FO, goalie, ssdms, and close d's who all must be high caliber excellent athletes to a man. The second tier mids and defense must be reliable subs for all these positions. A team without holes can win against a star studded cast with deficiencies at one or two other positions. I gag every time I watch hs stars run to a few teams who have been contenders for a couple years out of the illusion that they offer sure play off odds. SU has lost in the first round with stars at all the offensive positions and has won with a one exceptional scorer and a solid defense. Intangibles still count in the competition for depth players. Rough estimate - one or two out of ten of these 5 stars will fulfill their potential.

I have long thought that the overall depth of a team determines to some extent the performance and results in a season. For me, a championship team requires at least one superior scorer and five other above average capable scorers all of whom are dangerous in the offensive end. It's the FO, goalie, ssdms, and close d's who all must be high caliber excellent athletes to a man. The second tier mids and defense must be reliable subs for all these positions. A team without holes can win against a star studded cast with deficiencies at one or two other positions. I gag every time I watch hs stars run to a few teams who have been contenders for a couple years out of the illusion that they offer sure play off odds. SU has lost in the first round with stars at all the offensive positions and has won with a one exceptional scorer and a solid defense. Intangibles still count in the competition for depth players. Rough estimate - one or two out of ten of these 5 stars will fulfill their potential.

100%. One team that doesn't have any commits yet? Yale. Another? Penn State. Another? Loyola. There are several paths to success and championships are not decided in the first two weeks after 9/1. You obviously need *some* top talent to work with but good coaching and development and team culture can take you a long way.

That said, it shouldn't be a surprise that UNC and UVA are landing a ton of top guys and are reportedly in the running for Spallina. On the surface, they offer more to recruits than most schools. Combination of lacrosse, academics, overall athletics, weather, campus, girls, etc. is tough to beat. Not a lot of quote unquote weaknesses in those schools' recruiting profiles but we all know at the end of the day a lot of that stuff can be superficial.

100%. One team that doesn't have any commits yet? Yale. Another? Penn State. Another? Loyola. There are several paths to success and championships are not decided in the first two weeks after 9/1. You obviously need *some* top talent to work with but good coaching and development and team culture can take you a long way.

That said, it shouldn't be a surprise that UNC and UVA are landing a ton of top guys and are reportedly in the running for Spallina. On the surface, they offer more to recruits than most schools. Combination of lacrosse, academics, overall athletics, weather, campus, girls, etc. is tough to beat. Not a lot of quote unquote weaknesses in those schools' recruiting profiles but we all know at the end of the day a lot of that stuff can be superficial.
On the other hand, this is Syracuse lacrosse. They should be top 5 in recruiting every year. Let’s not lower the bar.

On the other hand, this is Syracuse lacrosse. They should be top 5 in recruiting every year. Let’s not lower the bar.
Like it or not, Syracuse is at a disadvantage recruiting wise against the other members of the ACC. Weather, academics, economics (2 schools are state schools), networking etc. In recent years the Orange lost 2 recruits to ivy league schools and another flip was due to getting more money (Big 10 state school). These are real hurdles to overcome, not impossible, but certainly difficult. The rising cost of private school tuition cannot be discounted when recruits look at Syracuse. Per SU: Tuition $54,270 with Room and board : $72,282. These are the direct billable costs for 2020-2021 year.

Like it or not, Syracuse is at a disadvantage recruiting wise against the other members of the ACC. Weather, academics, economics (2 schools are state schools), networking etc. In recent years the Orange lost 2 recruits to ivy league schools and another flip was due to getting more money (Big 10 state school). These are real hurdles to overcome, not impossible, but certainly difficult. The rising cost of private school tuition cannot be discounted when recruits look at Syracuse. Per SU: Tuition $54,270 with Room and board : $72,282. These are the direct billable costs for 2020-2021 year.

Notre Dame is $76,883 and they are cleaning up.

Not lowering the bar, obviously Syracuse can and should still bring in some of the top recruits. But it's worth keeping in mind the kids committing right now were born in '02-'04. They were six years old when the Orange last won a championship. The dominant teams they've grown up with have been Duke, Maryland, Virginia, Yale. The history and tradition of a program like Syracuse will always carry SOME weight but I think it's fair to say it has lost some of its luster for this new generation, at least relative to other recruiting factors like academic reputation, weather, etc.

Not lowering the bar, obviously Syracuse can and should still bring in some of the top recruits. But it's worth keeping in mind the kids committing right now were born in '02-'04. They were six years old when the Orange last won a championship. The dominant teams they've grown up with have been Duke, Maryland, Virginia, Yale. The history and tradition of a program like Syracuse will always carry SOME weight but I think it's fair to say it has lost some of its luster for this new generation, at least relative to other recruiting factors like academic reputation, weather, etc.
Not sure I would call Yale or UVA teams that current recruits have "grown up" seeing as dominant. Yale only made a splash in 2018 and UVA essentially only did in 2019. Before that it was mostly lackluster records and first round exits.

Think the biggest factor in a lot of this comes down to geography. We've long bemoaned the decline of CNY lacrosse and it doesn't appear that it is getting any better - I only recognize one player from a typical SU hotbed on any of Xanders' lists for the '22 (Kempney from Carthage). Syracuse has been good about getting creative in where they go after kids, but the pipeline that they've relied on for years has really dried up.

Think the biggest factor in a lot of this comes down to geography. We've long bemoaned the decline of CNY lacrosse and it doesn't appear that it is getting any better - I only recognize one player from a typical SU hotbed on any of Xanders' lists for the '22 (Kempney from Carthage). Syracuse has been good about getting creative in where they go after kids, but the pipeline that they've relied on for years has really dried up.

This is probably overstated (but not necessarily wrong). Last season, SU was undefeated. It's entire attack was from Upstate NY (depending on your definition). It's best midfielder was from Upstate NY. It's best defender, pre-injury, from Upstate NY.

I get the talent does not seem to be as deep as in the past, but there is more talent all over the place, and I think that just makes CNY seem less substantial by comparison. (I realize I moved the goalposts a little bit)

SU still has name recognition and prestige. It still has top facilities. Academics and cost are an issue relative to our peers. It creates this weird sweet spot where the ideal recruit is an upper middle class kid that didn't exactly excel in school. Brighter kids will want better academics. Less financially well off kids will need more aid (which ironically, other than public in-state, is found at the better academic schools due to endowments [JHU, Duke, Ivies]).

If I were Desko, I'd recruit the heck out of the Haudenosaunee and Canadian kids. SU has a geographic and financial edge (level for the Canadians) with these recruits. Maybe a cultural one too?

This is probably overstated (but not necessarily wrong). Last season, SU was undefeated. It's entire attack was from Upstate NY (depending on your definition). It's best midfielder was from Upstate NY. It's best defender, pre-injury, from Upstate NY.

I get the talent does not seem to be as deep as in the past, but there is more talent all over the place, and I think that just makes CNY seem less substantial by comparison. (I realize I moved the goalposts a little bit)

SU still has name recognition and prestige. It still has top facilities. Academics and cost are an issue relative to our peers. It creates this weird sweet spot where the ideal recruit is an upper middle class kid that didn't exactly excel in school. Brighter kids will want better academics. Less financially well off kids will need more aid (which ironically, other than public in-state, is found at the better academic schools due to endowments [JHU, Duke, Ivies]).

If I were Desko, I'd recruit the heck out of the Haudenosaunee and Canadian kids. SU has a geographic and financial edge (level for the Canadians) with these recruits. Maybe a cultural one too?
good points

7B06DB44-7777-4680-A08D-659AA9BC09BD.jpeg

Well the thought of him committing is now squashed. Must be another top rated defensive recruit or something.

I’m hoping he visits us after the renovations are done so that he can get the full picture of what it’s like playing in the dome.