Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

How'd he get access to the Duke and UNC stadiums when he's not supposed to have any contact with coaches/staff right now? Can anyone just walk in? Reminder: recruits are not allowed to go on visits of any kind, official OR unofficial, prior to 9/1 of their junior year.

How'd he get access to the Duke and UNC stadiums when he's not supposed to have any contact with coaches/staff right now? Can anyone just walk in? Reminder: recruits are not allowed to go on visits of any kind, official OR unofficial, prior to 9/1 of their junior year.

He was looking for a Waffle House and he got lost.

At UNC, pre-COVID, you could definitely just walk around many of their facilities. While there last fall for the football game (@ Duke), we "toured" Carmichael and Dorrance Field. Duke's campus is set up more like Syracuse's, where the athletic facilities are more separate from the Main Campus, so we did not get over to the soccer/lacrosse field.

At UNC, pre-COVID, you could definitely just walk around many of their facilities. While there last fall for the football game (@ Duke), we "toured" Carmichael and Dorrance Field. Duke's campus is set up more like Syracuse's, where the athletic facilities are more separate from the Main Campus, so we did not get over to the soccer/lacrosse field.
Also wonder if there would be a small loophole for him since his dad is the women's coach at Stony Brook. (i.e. work trip or just visiting coaching friends)

Anyone can go walk around campuses that’s not against any rules, recruit or not. There’s just no in person contact.

I’ve randomly walked into stadiums before, surprisingly you can, theyre not usually locked up. Swish and his whole family was just in the Swamp a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like Danowski has got Andrew Mcadorey recruiting him to Duke LOL
9BBE733E-316C-4C94-9F87-7B2B0B5D63CF.jpeg

No surprise there, half the guys on Duke at this point are from LI or somehow associated with the same club team.
I’m hoping that March starts recruiting LI hard—starting with the guys on those 91 Lacrosse teams. But I feel like he is trying to build a monster ‘22 recruiting class with the guys he’s going after. It’s going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Last edited:
Hard to say who he reminds me of. He is not overly fast and likes to take the body so you initially think maybe connor fields or lyle thompson, but his overall style looks very different from them. Actually Ryan Powell might be the closest comparison.

1. Joey Spallina | A | Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
Team 91 Long Island | June '03 birthday
There isn’t a player in the class that’s been more battle-tested and proven over a long period of time quite like Spallina, who played up two grades with the Team 91 Crush 2020 team, where he flourished as an off-ball scorer alongside household names Brennan O’Neill and Xavier Arline. Possessing a tremendous skillset and a fine-tuned bag of tricks, college coaches rave about his advanced lacrosse IQ and physicality, as he’s crazy effective when posting up his man. Spallina, who is the oldest son of Stony Brook women’s coach Joe Spallina, racked up an incredible 131 points as a freshman All-American in 2019. He took on all comers as a constant presence on the summer circuit, getting a strong push from Dom Pietramala for the top spot, so it’ll be an excitable yet friendly competition for the No. 1 spot in the years to come. The expectation is that Spallina will focus on five or six schools in the Big 10 and ACC, having already visited several on his own.

Hard to say who he reminds me of. He is not overly fast and likes to take the body so you initially think maybe connor fields or lyle thompson, but his overall style looks very different from them. Actually Ryan Powell might be the closest comparison.

Not a bad comparison. Spallina also has a little bit of Matt Rambo to his game with the way he can use his strength to post up defenders near the goal. And some of his creativity around the net is reminiscent of John Grant Jr. The kid has never met a backhanded shot he didn't like. Special player.

I still believe, however, that Dom Petro will prove to be the most successful D1 player out of this group. Will save most of the commentary for his thread but he is just an electric shooter with uncommon game IQ. He's going to score a million goals in college.

Back to Spallina...it's no secret Duke is and always has been the favorite. But I would not be surprised if he ends up somewhere else. From what I've heard, and the IL article seems to confirm this, is that he's considering most of the ACC teams plus Maryland, Hopkins, and Penn State.

Back to Spallina...it's no secret Duke is and always has been the favorite. But I would not be surprised if he ends up somewhere else. From what I've heard, and the IL article seems to confirm this, is that he's considering most of the ACC teams plus Maryland, Hopkins, and Penn State.

I find it interesting that in the IL article, Xanders states that a lot of schools are going to try and target both Spallina and Petro - it seems like they compliment each other pretty well, one is a righty, the other a lefty.

I find it even more interesting that, at least according to Quint, Petro's list of colleges are a little unconventional in that they aren't' the standard ACC/Big 10/IVY list and he is considering a list that includes DU, Loyola PSU and Syracuse. Not a lot of schools overlap with both Spallina and Petro, but SU would be one. I'd say it's a slim chance SU gets even one of these guys, but heck, could you imagine landing both?

I find it interesting that in the IL article, Xanders states that a lot of schools are going to try and target both Spallina and Petro - it seems like they compliment each other pretty well, one is a righty, the other a lefty.

I find it even more interesting that, at least according to Quint, Petro's list of colleges are a little unconventional in that they aren't' the standard ACC/Big 10/IVY list and he is considering a list that includes DU, Loyola PSU and Syracuse. Not a lot of schools overlap with both Spallina and Petro, but SU would be one. I'd say it's a slim chance SU gets even one of these guys, but heck, could you imagine landing both?

Much, much, much harder to imagine is Petro wearing Cuse gear, sitting in the Dome with the parents.

Much, much, much harder to imagine is Petro wearing Cuse gear, sitting in the Dome with the parents.
Agreed. BUT, the fact that Hopkins fired him in (from his perspective most-likely) a premature unfair fashion makes it a good deal more possible.

Agreed. BUT, the fact that Hopkins fired him in (from his perspective most-likely) a premature unfair fashion makes it a good deal more possible.

I agree seems highly unlikely Dom would end up here but its nice to see SU listed, speaks to the program and Desko.

I think it's more likely Dom's list of schools adjusts towards Spallina's than the other way around. From what I understand Dom's academic situation puts him more in the Loyola-Denver-Cuse range—but he's only a junior, so obviously there is plenty of time for that to change. But I would say Spallina is pretty set one of the ACCs or a major Big Ten. Can't see him going to any of the schools Quint said Dom is considering except, MAYBE, Syracuse, but the smart money of course is on one of the schools below the Mason Dixon Line. Penn State would be the other that could maybe land both but again, very very unlikely as you mentioned.

If I am Desko or March I'm obviously sending feelers out to Spallina and Petro because you're crazy if you don't at least take a look but I would not waste too much time with them. Focus on Berhman. Last thing you want is a legit realistic target like Berhman to catch wind that you're going hard after two other attackmen and decide he'd rather be somewhere that made him their #1 priority. I've seen it happen often.

this better not be what I think it is
I assume (hope) he’s just talking about this being the 3rd year of the midnight 9/1 HS junior contact period start & accompanying IL-sponsored midnight showcase & not the 3rd straight year of Duke nabbing the #1 recruit (Spallina) that I assume you’re alluding to. Personally, I think Spallina will take his time deciding.