Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

The new Gait products came from the sale of the UA lacrosse line. The UA products were hit or miss - some good products (Command, Command Low) and some not so good products.

this stinks. Unwise for both coach and player. As Sotomayor so succinctly put it, can SU survive the stench? Can Gait? the kid can make as much money as he pleases. Very poor judgement on the part of SU, Gait, and where's the kid's father in all this. Maybe it's within the rules. So what! Not a good way to begin Spallina's career. Where are the adults?
It’s fine as long as Gary has no financial interest or decision making power in gait lacrosse. It’s no different then any other NIL but totally within the rules.

My initial reaction was do we really need another source of drama? Can't we just chill? Can't Spallina get an endorsement from a company that could in no way lead to even the suggestion of a scandalous NLI deal? Haven't we had enough off the field BS? I am sure these thoughts were on the mind of the higher ups in the athletic department as well. Surely they are not in the mood for another scandal from a non-revenue sport, or any sport for that matter. And surely the Spallina family is not risking getting involved in a questionable operation when Joey could easlily land some other type of NLI deal as the #1 recruit and what not.

I see no scenario in which this wasn't approved every step of the way by compliance people and Cuse lawyers and what not. There is just no way Gait is engaging in some corrupt NLI scheme before his first season as head coach is even under way. I will leave the rest of the digging for answers to the brilliant minds at College Crosse who surely have a mini-series in the works.

Alabama football and Kentucky basketball have been doing this since day 1. If anything, SU is late to the party.
true, but Saban/Cal's brother doesnt own the company. I'm sure everything was done accordingly, but to DochtaxLexus' point, it will likely draw scrutiny,

It’s fine as long as Gary has no financial interest or decision making power in gait lacrosse. It’s no different then any other NIL but totally within the rules.
Who cares? SEC football will be doing things like this and so will Kentucky and Duke in basketball. I've got no problem with SYR lacrosse, the Gait company and Spallinas doing this. If this helps SYR lacrosse, all the more power to parties involved.

Who cares? SEC football will be doing things like this and so will Kentucky and Duke in basketball. I've got no problem with SYR lacrosse, the Gait company and Spallinas doing this. If this helps SYR lacrosse, all the more power to parties involved.
I don’t have a problem with it either, the narrative becomes a lot more difficult to explain if he owned gait lacrosse

I don’t have a problem with it either, the narrative becomes a lot more difficult to explain if he owned gait lacrosse
he "partnered" with them 2 years ago. it's unclear what that means entirely and if that is still active.
the post above probably means it goes beyond the 24 hour news cycle and we'll all have more of an idea what's what in due time.

Syracuse Associate Athletic Director for Compliance Mark Wheeler did reach out to Gait Lacrosse for information after the announcement.

from the syracuse.com article

does anyone know what this means?

It means we're all going to make sure there are no NCAA issues before Joey sets foot on campus.

right but does it also mean they went ahead and announced the deal without informing the syracuse compliance office?

Fing needless distraction on first fing day. Focus should be on 22 team only right now, resolve it quickly

52DE68B0-4674-451A-A53E-F1AC3616F0FE.gif

this stinks. Unwise for both coach and player. As Sotomayor so succinctly put it, can SU survive the stench? Can Gait? the kid can make as much money as he pleases. Very poor judgement on the part of SU, Gait, and where's the kid's father in all this. Maybe it's within the rules. So what! Not a good way to begin Spallina's career. Where are the adults?
Justice Sotomayor has weighed in on this already?

from the syracuse.com article

does anyone know what this means?
It seemed rather straightforward to me, that he wants to be able to adequately document there is no malfeasance with the deal. He probably does the same thing with every NIL deal. The difference here is that Spallina isn't an SU student athlete yet, so he technically didn't need to vet it with SU beforehand.

Putting aside the associated questions , dont understand why these promos are being released when the team is breaking camp. The spotlight on any young Cuse player right now should be on Hiltz who proved that he and O Neill were indeed the two best players in 21 class . Announcements usually tend to be released to avoid overshadowing . Turnoff nm

Putting aside the associated questions , dont understand why these promos are being released when the team is breaking camp. The spotlight on any young Cuse player right now should be on Hiltz who proved that he and O Neill were indeed the two best players in 21 class . Announcements usually tend to be released to avoid overshadowing . Turnoff nm
Distraction for who? You’re all making the grand assumption that any of the players on the Syracuse team gives a crap about any of this. A few bad articles based off a press release about a kid who isn’t even on the team yet isn’t going to tank the season.