Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Certainly not a R&D person but I hope this isn’t the head that Spallina will promote/use for Gait Lacrosse.

My unsolicited two cents:
  • Happy Joey is going to get paid.
  • Hope Joey's success leads to more success for the Gait brand - I always route for alumni to do well.
  • Gait's a local brand to where I live, so again, hope to see them have success. Those Under Armour Commands were really popular heads. If they can just fill that vacancy, it should be good for the brand.
  • Shrmdougluvr Jr got a GC3 head and didnt really like it. Thought it lacked hold and could have been more pinched in the throat. Spallina carries the ball a ton. Not sure how that head matches up with his game.
  • I'll be sad to see the orange dipped Adidas gloves go.
  • Like the orange fade on these gloves. Would have gone away from any navy blue.
  • I have no clue how this type of NIL deal is going to work when the program has long been entrenched with Nike/STX. I believe Dordevic's NIL deal is with STX, after he had previously used Nike Lakotas. That made sense. This doesnt.
  • That Hersheylaxdyes guy gets a lot of hype. I think the stuff he does is fine and I couldnt speak to the the pockets, but his dye jobs are pretty basic compared to some of the stuff other stringers are putting out. Check out @cermak on instagram, for example.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority and getting old but I am really tired of the ongoing Spallina hype. He seems to be a great kid and I get we're in a culture of 24/7 social media self-promotion but...he is still a little over a year away from his first game for Cuse. Anything less than the Tewaaraton short short list for him will be viewed as disappointing. I know I wouldn't have wanted to set my kids up for such high expectations. And...it takes away from the focus on this year's team with some proven elite talent like Hiltz.
I hope it all works out but Cuse is a tough place for disappointments - just ask last year's players or Jordan Evans.

I may be in the minority and getting old but I am really tired of the ongoing Spallina hype. He seems to be a great kid and I get we're in a culture of 24/7 social media self-promotion but...he is still a little over a year away from his first game for Cuse. Anything less than the Tewaaraton short short list for him will be viewed as disappointing. I know I wouldn't have wanted to set my kids up for such high expectations. And...it takes away from the focus on this year's team with some proven elite talent like Hiltz.
I hope it all works out but Cuse is a tough place for disappointments - just ask last year's players or Jordan Evans.
Feels like we over hype a ton. Cody Jameison was a solid player but was not anything close to the legend surrounding him before he arrived on campus. He has experienced a solid pro career and yet didn't dominate the way the expectations were set. Evans you mentioned. I think about Scanlon too. Hakeem Lecky, Dan Hardy, Owen Hill, there are many others. That said I remember hearing that the last Powell was going to be better than Casey and Ryan and didn't think that was possible turned out to be true. Sometimes the hype is justified. Liked your post and wanted to chime in;)

Article says that Syracuse policy prohibits staff members and boosters (which Paul Gait undoubtedly is) from compensating or arranging for the compensation of a recruit's NIL.

The question is, is the fact that Gait did it through his business, rather than literally out of his own bank account, still a violation?

It may not be. But the fact that it's unclear isn't good. This could have been handled a lot better.

Article says that Syracuse policy prohibits staff members and boosters (which Paul Gait undoubtedly is) from compensating or arranging for the compensation of a recruit's NIL.

The question is, is the fact that Gait did it through his business, rather than literally out of his own bank account, still a violation?

It may not be. But the fact that it's unclear isn't good. This could have been handled a lot better.
Once he signs is he still a recruit. This seems way blown up. Committed and signed before any negotiations on NIL.

It all seems like a very unnecessary distraction a month before the 2022 season, don't ya think?

It all seems like a very unnecessary distraction a month before the 2022 season, don't ya think?

Why would any of the current players care? He's not even an SU player yet. He was already signed to SU. He had offers coming in from all kinds of lacrosse companies. NCAA won't/can't touch this.

Also, SU's NIL policy is stupid. They need to do better.

I heard a couple interesting things about this today. This could come to fruition.

Yeah, this is my big takeaway from all this. The women’s team (formally coached by Gait) is now sponsored by Gait lacrosse as well as a couple of the players. I doubt they would sponsor Spallina without thinking they would sponsors the men’s team as well. At the very least, hopefully they move back to Cascade and Gait does not bring back their helmets.