Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

9ED6BE9B-3647-4A4C-98FE-A98114DC6568.jpeg

Lol "I am not fun to play against. I consider myself as an a**hole. But I feel like that's how you have to play. You can't be a fun guy to play against."

Shame we never saw him and Nick Mariano on the same team. Seeing some similarities in their philosophies.
Yeah that and the Spider-Man quote both made me laugh

Honest question - does anyone think there is too much focus on him? A ton of potential no doubt, but he has not played one second in college yet. I just wonder if all of this - the jersey, the Gait family NIL deals, the social media press - ends up creating issues in the locker room? Could it create a divide within the locker room, especially if this season turns out to be just mediocre?

Not faulting him at all, but rather would hope that the adults around him (inside and outside the program) could be doing a better job easing him into the program. Positioning him as the savior of the program just seems not necessary at this point. If he's as good as advertised, it'll be known. But if he stumbles at all (like just about everyone does) it seems like there could be a lot of criticism from outside and tension on the team.

What if Gait sits him or pulls him from a game and then the public criticism starts? Or what if he SHOULD be sat, but he's not even though everyone sees it and then the team feels like there are different rules for different people?

Again, assuming these were promises that were made during the recruiting process and maybe that's what it took, but I wonder if it's a double-edge sword?

Honest question - does anyone think there is too much focus on him? A ton of potential no doubt, but he has not played one second in college yet. I just wonder if all of this - the jersey, the Gait family NIL deals, the social media press - ends up creating issues in the locker room? Could it create a divide within the locker room, especially if this season turns out to be just mediocre?

Not faulting him at all, but rather would hope that the adults around him (inside and outside the program) could be doing a better job easing him into the program. Positioning him as the savior of the program just seems not necessary at this point. If he's as good as advertised, it'll be known. But if he stumbles at all (like just about everyone does) it seems like there could be a lot of criticism from outside and tension on the team.

What if Gait sits him or pulls him from a game and then the public criticism starts? Or what if he SHOULD be sat, but he's not even though everyone sees it and then the team feels like there are different rules for different people?

Again, assuming these were promises that were made during the recruiting process and maybe that's what it took, but I wonder if it's a double-edge sword?
The only people labeling him as the Savior are the lacrosse YouTube channels trying to get clicks. Spallina is in my eyes a Matt Rambo mixed with Kevin Rice (playstyle wise). He loves to take behind the net and create for his teammates, but be has the physical stature and toughness of Rambo. I would not be surprised if he has a 20g-40a Freshman season.

I think you take away us giving him 22 and the NIL deal and the hype surrounding him starting at Cuse would be about just as massive as it is now. Lax media have been uniformly singing his praises as the best player his age in the nation for years and years now. In the end that is BY FAR the main driver to the hype, not the additional fanfare coming from the school. Anyone following college lax and recruiting knew this guys name well before he committed to cuse. You do not have many options to slow that hype train down.

As for giving him 22, I think it is a good deal different than the Scanlan situation where (I believe) we offered it as a sign of our sincere interest and confidence in him as a recruit/transfer rather than him requesting the number. Spallina has explicitly wanted to wear 22 at Cuse his whole life. He has worn it as much as possible in his high school/travel team career. I think giving him what he wanted in that situation was the right move. With his mindset I think it will be nothing but a motivator. Also I think the importance given to the number is massively overblown but maybe that's a convo for another time.

Where we may somewhat agree is the NIL deal. We have some other top rated recruits coming in this year, mainly Figueras and Thomson. Does it create tension when you offer a NIL deal to Spallina on a platter while the other top guys get seemingly nothing? Perhaps it could be, but this is also a source of tension in every college sports locker room across the country now, given the current state of NIL. I would hope this is just the beginning and Gait and co show similar love to our other top arriving players as time goes on.

understand your misgivings. We've all watched a lot of his high school and summer stuff. He seemed to stand out as much for his toughness and maturity as for his stellar play. He faced adversity with intensity, persistence and determination. I'm sure he will face it just as well when criticism and disappointment come at him in waves. In contrast to some previous freshmen 22s, he will use these as challenges and grow from them. I'm more concerned about the possibility of injury. He's always taking on long d's by depending on his core muscles to stay on his line until he exhausts the defenseman. Hip, leg and joint muscles and connectors are vulnerable. Can't wait to see him though.

I think you take away us giving him 22 and the NIL deal and the hype surrounding him starting at Cuse would be about just as massive as it is now. Lax media have been uniformly singing his praises as the best player his age in the nation for years and years now. In the end that is BY FAR the main driver to the hype, not the additional fanfare coming from the school. Anyone following college lax and recruiting knew this guys name well before he committed to cuse. You do not have many options to slow that hype train down.

As for giving him 22, I think it is a good deal different than the Scanlan situation where (I believe) we offered it as a sign of our sincere interest and confidence in him as a recruit/transfer rather than him requesting the number. Spallina has explicitly wanted to wear 22 at Cuse his whole life. He has worn it as much as possible in his high school/travel team career. I think giving him what he wanted in that situation was the right move. With his mindset I think it will be nothing but a motivator. Also I think the importance given to the number is massively overblown but maybe that's a convo for another time.

Where we may somewhat agree is the NIL deal. We have some other top rated recruits coming in this year, mainly Figueras and Thomson. Does it create tension when you offer a NIL deal to Spallina on a platter while the other top guys get seemingly nothing? Perhaps it could be, but this is also a source of tension in every college sports locker room across the country now, given the current state of NIL. I would hope this is just the beginning and Gait and co show similar love to our other top arriving players as time goes on.

I think you pretty much nailed it here. Spallina has been hyped long before he got to Cuse and it would be the same if he went to UVA or Maryland or wherever. Him coming in after the worst SU season in 50 years or whatever it was I think actually benefits him as most rationale SU fans realize this isn't a final four team as currently constructed and I think expectations are as such. Spallina is also surrounded by talent and Thomson's hype has been growing more and more since last summer, people ask me more about him now then Spallina. I am sure there are going to be growing pains, dudes a frosh going against teams like Maryland, Duke, Princeton, ND and others, he's gonna see the best of the best. I think most people expect that Spallina will figure it out as he has at pretty much every other level. What the prior poster was describing was a Jordan Evans type situation, that seems highly unlikely to play out here.

I think you pretty much nailed it here. Spallina has been hyped long before he got to Cuse and it would be the same if he went to UVA or Maryland or wherever. Him coming in after the worst SU season in 50 years or whatever it was I think actually benefits him as most rationale SU fans realize this isn't a final four team as currently constructed and I think expectations are as such. Spallina is also surrounded by talent and Thomson's hype has been growing more and more since last summer, people ask me more about him now then Spallina. I am sure there are going to be growing pains, dudes a frosh going against teams like Maryland, Duke, Princeton, ND and others, he's gonna see the best of the best. I think most people expect that Spallina will figure it out as he has at pretty much every other level. What the prior poster was describing was a Jordan Evans type situation, that seems highly unlikely to play out here.
Yes indeed. This year if there is one guy with sky high expectations who will at least be somewhat asked to "save" the offense it's Hiltz. Would love to see what type of chemistry they develop, even if it's just Hiltz throwing insane feeds his way that he can handle and finish

Yes indeed. This year if there is one guy with sky high expectations who will at least be somewhat asked to "save" the offense it's Hiltz. Would love to see what type of chemistry they develop, even if it's just Hiltz throwing insane feeds his way that he can handle and finish
What if it just becomes Hiltz and Spallina throwing cross field beams to each other and no scoring lol.

I think Simmons is gonna be a big help to take pressure off Spallina too. Simmons is legit and has a lot of experience so will be a big help. If Joey adjusts fast to the college game which I bet he will, then this attack unit has the potential to be one of the top units in the country. All 3 can put up serious pts this year.

The only people labeling him as the Savior are the lacrosse YouTube channels trying to get clicks. Spallina is in my eyes a Matt Rambo mixed with Kevin Rice (playstyle wise). He loves to take behind the net and create for his teammates, but be has the physical stature and toughness of Rambo. I would not be surprised if he has a 20g-40a Freshman season.
I agree with this and like the comparisons and by everything I am hearing inside the kid is a tireless worker and great teammate on top of his tremendous talent That to me was the big thing it is easy to see the talent but none of us know the type of work ethic the player has which is a large factor in the outcome. Glad to hear those reports