Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Realistically one of Spallina, Thomson, Rhoa, Kempney, or Leo will probably be playing little to no minutes next season (Spallina the least likely there of course). From some combination of one not being ready right out the gate fresh out of high school or there being an established name that outperforms them. As good as he could be, its possible Leo gets the short end of the stick since we may envision him playing attack for us but he is cleanly beaten out for minutes by Hiltz Spallina Birtwistle and Thomson. I think Kempney and Rhoa have a very good shot at second line minutes but maybe a seasoned vet is capable of more at present. Can never say never on the staff liking Birtwistles game so much that he beats out Thomson. I think he is at least capable of more off the dodge than Thomson at present. Think Birtwistle will see minutes at middie if not attack. Had some nice plays from up top last season, not just behind the cage.

A name like Ferris at attack feels impossibly far down the depth chart now. Same goes for guys like Borges or Finn Kelly finding there way into some minutes this year. It's a tough business we could see some fall transfers. To be clear that would be a transfer due to playing time concerns not the "Spallina show."
respectfully, nothing's impossible here beyond hiltz, simmons, kirst and almost certainly spallina.

the rest of the newcomers played very above average lacrosse against high school kids. the guys that didn't get on the field much for injury or not being good enough last year... had their own above average h.s. years and a cap on their development or ceiling may not be finished.

as far as birstwhistle, i didn't see much of 'cuse toward the tail end, but i doubt the orange will be in a position in just 1 year to take those goals entirely off the field.

respectfully, nothing's impossible here beyond hiltz, simmons, kirst and almost certainly spallina.

the rest of the newcomers played very above average lacrosse against high school kids. the guys that didn't get on the field much for injury or not being good enough last year... had their own above average h.s. years and a cap on their development or ceiling may not be finished.

as far as birstwhistle, i didn't see much of 'cuse toward the tail end, but i doubt the orange will be in a position in just 1 year to take those goals entirely off the field.
We are in agreement, respectfully.

Looks like Joey played in the Lake Placid games, anyone know how he faired? Or who else played?

Burning Orange (Open Gold) only had current players Drago, Witherspoon and Ferris on it. Former Orange Dom Madonna was in cage.

Burning Orange (Open Gold) only had current players Drago, Witherspoon and Ferris on it. Former Orange Dom Madonna was in cage.

Looks like Derek DeJoe and Tommy Palasek joined the team as well. Too bad there wasn’t more current players on the team.

He was a force as a freshmen in high school and his graduation coincides nicely with Joey’s graduation from SU, jersey-wise.
Unfortunately, Charlie isn't leaving for Lawrenceville to one day return to the Orange. He has his eyes set on the Ivy League.

chart-with-upwards-trend_1f4c8.png

Cuse cant get the new comers a pair of team gloves? Saw a few pics of the new players rocking their high school gloves still (Mike leo with his SA gloves, Joey with the gloves he wore at Mount Sinai)...I know its the wizard and not the wand but you would think that a program looking to attract top players would have new gloves and equipment ready to go from the get...

Cuse cant get the new comers a pair of team gloves? Saw a few pics of the new players rocking their high school gloves still (Mike leo with his SA gloves, Joey with the gloves he wore at Mount Sinai)...I know its the wizard and not the wand but you would think that a program looking to attract top players would have new gloves and equipment ready to go from the get...
They have switched to a new equipment manufacture. There are still some supply chain issues for various goods. I do know this is the case with Nike, STX and Gait lax equipment. This is likely the case here.

Doesn't Joey have his own NIL deal for gear?

Random thought as a player in the 90s it took several months for my gloves to break in and function properly. So jealous of the gear they have now. I am sure he can put on a pair of SU gloves and just get started.

Right!? Brine L35s took forever to break in.