Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Not exactly Spallina related but thought you all might enjoy disgruntled Loyola fans having a normal one in the comments section.

Ya they clearly haven't gotten over Scanlon leaving. Losing a high end guy to transfer can be difficult to stomach as we know all to well ourselves. I think Loyola fans thought they had a chance to put together a pretty good run that finally year with Spencer and then the next few seasons after that but it hasn't really worked out that way and while there a good team and program there not really a squad you can realistically see challenge for a title anytime soon.

C'mon, JC- can't you just give us a little hint to narrow down the field a little without giving it away? Did anyone in the player's family ever coach Hop for 19 years?

Rogers Tweet and the additional recruit are 2 separate items. CR wasn't referring to Rogers tweet.

Not exactly Spallina related but thought you all might enjoy disgruntled Loyola fans having a normal one in the comments section.

— one interesting piece on 22 that Seems to have been lost in the excitement was the fact that a lot has been said about not just handing out 22 to a freshman...after Evans wore it and did an admiral job. but was not 22 worthy in many people’s eyes. ..was going to be “earned” Or at least battle tested are D1 level (eg Scanlan ) etc ..According to Desko ...maybe voted on by players etc ,.that disappeared fast

— one interesting piece on 22 that Seems to have been lost in the excitement was the fact that a lot has been said about not just handing out 22 to a freshman...after Evans wore it and did an admiral job. but was not 22 worthy in many people’s eyes. ..was going to be “earned” Or at least battle tested are D1 level (eg Scanlan ) etc ..According to Desko ...maybe voted on by players etc ,.that disappeared fast

I guess the new “standards” weren’t set in stone. Like you said, some people feel that it should be earned after you’ve proven yourself at the D1 level. Perhaps given to only juniors and seniors, and the occasional sophomore who performed at an All-American caliber level (Scanlan) in their freshman year. I’m sort of in that camp.

Came across this tweet by Grant Ament yesterday:

With that being said, I’m so freakin pumped that Spallina chose SU and hope he does that number proud!

BOOM BOOM !!!! Spalina and Keempney back to back !!!!

maybe our best two day lax recruiting ever !!!

I guess the new “standards” weren’t set in stone. Like you said, some people feel that it should be earned after you’ve proven yourself at the D1 level. Perhaps given to only juniors and seniors, and the occasional sophomore who performed at an All-American caliber level (Scanlan) in their freshman year. I’m sort of in that camp.

With that being said, I’m so freakin pumped that Spallina chose SU and hope he does that number proud!
Does Penn State even have a jersey number with any history?

I’m a big Ament fan but I found that tweet to be pretty petty & misguided, especially on the day of his announcement. By all accounts, Joey’s a great kid, teammate, son, & a really hard worker. He’s had a lifelong dream to wear Orange & the same # as one of his idols, Casey Powell, & he’s worked hard to achieve that. He’s welcoming the pressure that comes with that number. I see nothing wrong with it on his or SU’s end but to each their own.

Last edited:
Exactly. Kind of a weird tweet.

Ament was a heck of a player but I don't get the tweet either. Not sure what point he was trying to make, it came off like he was mad or jealous about all the recruiting hype for Spallina. Which is weird because it wasn't like there wasn't a ton of hype for O'Neil a few years ago as well.

Ament was a heck of a player but I don't get the tweet either. Not sure what point he was trying to make, it came off like he was mad or jealous about all the recruiting hype for Spallina. Which is weird because it wasn't like there wasn't a ton of hype for O'Neil a few years ago as well.
Exactly. I don’t recall him having any problem with the hype when O’Neil initially committed to PSU lol

Well yeah Grant, because there is no jersey, let alone tradition of winning at PSU, to offer. Also, the things he mentions are not mutually exclusive. You can be offered a jersey number (who knows what was offered) and the chance to work you butt off to be the best and fulfilled.

I'm disappointed in Ament's reply. Number traditions are something that makes college sports fun. Honoring the great history by rewarding the hopeful future. The only thing handed out with the jersey is pressure and expectations. While its an honor, it puts another level of pressure on kids. Some kids love the added motivation.

I'm disappointed in Ament's reply. Number traditions are something that makes college sports fun. Honoring the great history by rewarding the hopeful future. The only thing handed out with the jersey is pressure and expectations. While its an honor, it puts another level of pressure on kids. Some kids love the added motivation.

Ament sounds a little salty that Penn State has been nowhere in the recruiting game the past few weeks. That can all change at the drop of a hat if Pietramala commits there, which I've heard is a possibility. Still lots of elite talent out there but I'm mildly surprised PSU does not yet have a single IL "starred" player given their recent success as a program and Final Four contender. Good coach, great facility, fun college atmosphere with huge sports...not sure why they haven't been nabbing some of the top guys this year like other Big Ten/ACC programs have but maybe that is intentional (could be waiting for one specific player or two before the dam breaks).

Wasn't there a Spallina that played defense for the Long Island Lizards with long black hair?

Yes, Brian Spallina, believe he is Joey’s uncle. A legend in the MLL and quite the intimidator. Think he coaches the Team 91 team as well.

Yes, Brian Spallina, believe he is Joey’s uncle. A legend in the MLL and quite the intimidator. Think he coaches the Team 91 team as well.
Ahhhh thank you!!

Wasn't there a Spallina that played defense for the Long Island Lizards with long black hair?
Brian. Don’t think they are related, think we would’ve heard something about that by now.
he was also a dirty player from what I rmember or the enforcer type.

He played college ball at Hofstra and is the assistant coach of the Adelphi men's lacrosse team.

Brian. Don’t think they are related, think we would’ve heard something about that by now.
he was also a dirty player from what I rmember or the enforcer type.

Confirmed, they are brothers. Scary dude but he was a second grade teacher in his “real job”.