Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

6A4C4D15-0A84-4C1D-A260-F72690C1A9C7.jpeg

Joey will be live tonight at 9:30 on the Luuply Instagram account if you want to ask him any questions or show him some Orange love!

180A4FFF-AB63-4C8C-AABF-5C0E5B5698E0.jpeg

Uhhhhhh...o boy
This article has nothing to do with Joey, so I wouldn’t worry too much if you thought the way he talked about Syracuse was a bad thing. Joe loves to motivate his team by constantly reminding them that no one recruited/wanted them when they were in High School—because it’s true. None of his players have ever been highly ranked coming out of high school.

Even though Joe is in a hotbed for women’s lacrosse (Long Island), he is always going to be at a massive disadvantage recruiting wise when it comes to the highly rated recruits. 9/10 the higher rated recruits, especially the ones on Long Island, are going to want to go to a better school academically. That means he is going to have to develop the players that he gets, which is okay because he does a spectacular job at it.

The days when I am absolutely at my wits end with GG and the way his teams constantly play inconsistent/uninspired, all the times the CUSEWLAX girls talk about going on a “business trip”—only to not show up for the game at all and get their lights blown out in an important game, all of the times his teams don’t play to their potential I find myself flirting with the idea “what if Joe Spallina was coaching here?”

Now, I’m not even sure he would even entertain the idea if Wildhack called him in the future because he’s too rooted and I don’t think he would want to leave the island— but the guy can flat out coach. If he can have his team ranked #6 in the country with a bunch of girls who weren’t highly ranked, I can’t even imagine the kind of damage he would do coaching an ACC/B1G school where all of the highly ranked recruits seem to flock to, and will continue to do so. Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent there but I wouldn’t worry about Joey. For now at least. Fingers crossed he signs and plays his 4 years here!

This article has nothing to do with Joey, so I wouldn’t worry too much if you thought the way he talked about Syracuse was a bad thing. Joe loves to motivate his team by constantly reminding them that no one recruited/wanted them when they were in High School—because it’s true. None of his players have ever been highly ranked coming out of high school.

Even though Joe is in a hotbed for women’s lacrosse (Long Island), he is always going to be at a massive disadvantage recruiting wise when it comes to the highly rated recruits. 9/10 the higher rated recruits, especially the ones on Long Island, are going to want to go to a better school academically. That means he is going to have to develop the players that he gets, which is okay because he does a spectacular job at it.

The days when I am absolutely at my wits end with GG and the way his teams constantly play inconsistent/uninspired, all the times the CUSEWLAX girls talk about going on a “business trip”—only to not show up for the game at all and get their lights blown out in an important game, all of the times his teams don’t play to their potential I find myself flirting with the idea “what if Joe Spallina was coaching here?”

Now, I’m not even sure he would even entertain the idea if Wildhack called him in the future because he’s too rooted and I don’t think he would want to leave the island— but the guy can flat out coach. If he can have his team ranked #6 in the country with a bunch of girls who weren’t highly ranked, I can’t even imagine the kind of damage he would do coaching an ACC/B1G school where all of the highly ranked recruits seem to flock to, and will continue to do so. Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent there but I wouldn’t worry about Joey. For now at least. Fingers crossed he signs and plays his 4 years here!
Appreciate the response lol.
And I didn’t take it as lil Joe saying it but as his dad saying it in a disparaging way, but as you said that they haven’t been or been highly ranked that’s what I took it as maybe a shot but at least I feel a little better.

Good post and nice to read good things about Spallina the older. Your post also made me wonder if he would make the move Upstate. But not to coach the Women's team. Would he make sense as the men's team? People are against Gait taking over the Men's team as he doesn't have experience at the collegiate level for men's lacrosse, and that makes a lot of sense. Spallina on the other hand does have recent experience coaching in the MLL and runs one of the most successful club teams in the country. I feel like if he were coaching the Stony Brook men's team, and had the same sort of success, he'd be the clear number 1 choice. But obviously he's not. Having to walk away from Team 91 and Stony Brook would be tough, but the chance to coach his son would have to be enticing. Anyway, just thinking out loud here. Would be interesting to get your thoughts on the matter.

Good post and nice to read good things about Spallina the older. Your post also made me wonder if he would make the move Upstate. But not to coach the Women's team. Would he make sense as the men's team? People are against Gait taking over the Men's team as he doesn't have experience at the collegiate level for men's lacrosse, and that makes a lot of sense. Spallina on the other hand does have recent experience coaching in the MLL and runs one of the most successful club teams in the country. I feel like if he were coaching the Stony Brook men's team, and had the same sort of success, he'd be the clear number 1 choice. But obviously he's not. Having to walk away from Team 91 and Stony Brook would be tough, but the chance to coach his son would have to be enticing. Anyway, just thinking out loud here. Would be interesting to get your thoughts on the matter.

Joey also has a younger brother (or two). Not sure how much interest his father would have in heading upstate with their still being in the pipeline.

Thank you, I appreciate it Powellfan! You know, I had never actually thought about a scenario where Joe Spallina made the switch over to D1 Men’s Lax— or even coming to Syracuse to coach Joey/the mens team, but it certainly is intriguing!

Like you said— many people (me included) are against Gary Gait taking over the men’s team from being out of the men’s game for so long and not having any D1 Men’s coaching experience. I think there’s a lot of risk in that.

With Spallina, though, it’s different because he’s taught all levels and both genders. He’s had a lot of success with having the best youth travel teams in Team 91. He has developed and coached the #1 recruit in the country for 3 consecutive years (O’Neill, McAdorey, Spallina), coached JUCO, pro, has an MLL championship under his belt. I mean I could go on and on— the track record of success speaks for itself.

Personally— If the opportunity presented itself and I was him, I would take it. Whether that be coaching the men or the women, because I think he could do both and be successful at it. He would have a lot more success here than at Stony Brook, but realistically would he? He would basically have to start from scratch so I highly doubt it.

Not sure others on this message board would feel the same way though, understandably. I think they would feel much better if Shay was our next HC— which is also another great candidate post Desko.

Thank you, I appreciate it Powellfan! You know, I had never actually thought about a scenario where Joe Spallina made the switch over to D1 Men’s Lax— or even coming to Syracuse to coach Joey/the mens team, but it certainly is intriguing!

Like you said— many people (me included) are against Gary Gait taking over the men’s team from being out of the men’s game for so long and not having any D1 Men’s coaching experience. I think there’s a lot of risk in that.

With Spallina, though, it’s different because he’s taught all levels and both genders. He’s had a lot of success with having the best youth travel teams in Team 91. He has developed and coached the #1 recruit in the country for 3 consecutive years (O’Neill, McAdorey, Spallina), coached JUCO, pro, has an MLL championship under his belt. I mean I could go on and on— the track record of success speaks for itself.

Personally— If the opportunity presented itself and I was him, I would take it. Whether that be coaching the men or the women, because I think he could do both and be successful at it. He would have a lot more success here than at Stony Brook, but realistically would he? He would basically have to start from scratch so I highly doubt it.

Not sure others on this message board would feel the same way though, understandably. I think they would feel much better if Shay was our next HC— which is also another great candidate post Desko.

Thanks for the feedback! Having read the article, I am very impressed with him as a coach. Also sounds like it would indeed be very hard to pry him away from the Island. From my viewpoint, after Shay, who I think would be the A1 choice, I don't see a clear second or third option. It would definitely be a risk to take a coach who hasn't done it on the men's side, but sometimes risks pay off. Anyway, lots of things have to happen before a list is even put together, but he definitely intrigues me.

Boy, I hope that Ferris or Corsi can become that jitterbug type, dodging, feeding attackman. I mean, there will not be a pair of more skilled wings on Earth than Hiltz and Spallina. Just need someone to get them the ball and draw slides.

Boy, I hope that Ferris or Corsi can become that jitterbug type, dodging, feeding attackman. I mean, there will not be a pair of more skilled wings on Earth than Hiltz and Spallina. Just need someone to get them the ball and draw slides.
Spallina likes to have the ball in his stick and may do a good deal of the initiating himself. He is also a great feeder from the more full game footage I have seen. Hiltz could also be more skilled as an initiator in a couple years. He has the athleticism for it. Then you have Corsi and Ferris like you said, Michael Leo, heck maybe even senior Griffin Cook could have something to offer at attack. I feel nothing but excitement about the attack two years down the line.

Spallina likes to have the ball in his stick and may do a good deal of the initiating himself. He is also a great feeder from the more full game footage I have seen. Hiltz could also be more skilled as an initiator in a couple years. He has the athleticism for it. Then you have Corsi and Ferris like you said, Michael Leo, heck maybe even senior Griffin Cook could have something to offer at attack. I feel nothing but excitement about the attack two years down the line.

Yeah, I think Spallina is more of a quarterback type - his stats are very even between goals and assists. And he's a righty but in the clip above he's attacking from the left, really seems like a player who can be all over the field. Interesting how he compares to Hiltz, who seems like he has the ball in his stick for a second or two before passing or shooting, whereas Spallina is more ball dominant. They should compliment each other well. That means the third spot doesn't have to be any one thing, but if Hiltz is your "finisher", yes I agree a dodger should be the priority. Leo looks like a really good player. I had heard that the coaching staff sees him more as a midfielder, but that may change over time. Lots to look forward too.

Yeah, I think Spallina is more of a quarterback type - his stats are very even between goals and assists. And he's a righty but in the clip above he's attacking from the left, really seems like a player who can be all over the field. Interesting how he compares to Hiltz, who seems like he has the ball in his stick for a second or two before passing or shooting, whereas Spallina is more ball dominant. They should compliment each other well. That means the third spot doesn't have to be any one thing, but if Hiltz is your "finisher", yes I agree a dodger should be the priority. Leo looks like a really good player. I had heard that the coaching staff sees him more as a midfielder, but that may change over time. Lots to look forward too.

Spallina is incredibly skilled with the ball, obviously. He does not strike me though as an ankle breaker like Gray, Sowers, or Kavanaugh (or even Behrmann from his same class), a glider like Bernhardt or Moore, or an athletic beast like O'Neill. He's not bad athlete by any means, but does not seem to have a single elite athletic trait (size, strength, speed, quick- maybe balance). While in high school, he has good size and probably well-above average athleticism, he will not stand out in this way in college. Dropping your shoulder into a kid that hit puberty three years ago is very different than dropping your shoulder into a man that's been in a college strength and conditioning program for three years.

I have no reason to believe he will be anything but very successful at Syracuse. It just strikes me that both he and Hiltz are kind of average athletically, and it would be nice pair them with someone who can blow by. Even if that person doesnt carry the ball that often.

Spallina is incredibly skilled with the ball, obviously. He does not strike me though as an ankle breaker like Gray, Sowers, or Kavanaugh (or even Behrmann from his same class), a glider like Bernhardt or Moore, or an athletic beast like O'Neill. He's not bad athlete by any means, but does not seem to have a single elite athletic trait (size, strength, speed, quick- maybe balance). While in high school, he has good size and probably well-above average athleticism, he will not stand out in this way in college. Dropping your shoulder into a kid that hit puberty three years ago is very different than dropping your shoulder into a man that's been in a college strength and conditioning program for three years.

I have no reason to believe he will be anything but very successful at Syracuse. It just strikes me that both he and Hiltz are kind of average athletically, and it would be nice pair them with someone who can blow by. Even if that person doesnt carry the ball that often.
I too am a little worried about how the heavy contact routine will work out for him in college, but I think he is actually a pretty strong guy who is only getting bigger, and the " dropping your shoulder" method is surprisingly effective with a size and strength disadvantage if you have the IQ and balance for it. There are a good amount of undersized guys who like to initiate contact against bigger defenders. He-who-must-not-be-named (ok Scanlan) did it and he is about as wiry a guy as we have had at attack. It's a big part of Rehfuss' game as a dodger and he is a relatively skinny guy as well. Jeff Teat does it, Ethan Walker, Connor Fields, even Michael Sowers is not afraid of initiating contact in his dodges at times.