Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Is it a brace or just a leg sleeve? I couldn't completely tell
He has been wearing a knee brace all throughout preseason leading up to that Northport game last night. Perhaps he really did tear his ACL last year and it just didn’t get publicized because the injury didn’t happen during lacrosse season?

He also was doing physical therapy but for what reason, idk. All just speculation— but whatever happened, it looks like it didn’t effect him too much as he showed out last night with an 8 point performance.

He has been wearing a knee brace all throughout preseason leading up to that Northport game last night. Perhaps he really did tear his ACL last year and it just didn’t get publicized because the injury didn’t happen during lacrosse season?

He also was doing physical therapy but for what reason, idk. All just speculation— but whatever happened, it looks like it didn’t effect him too much as he showed out last night with an 8 point performance.

Possible he had a meniscus or cartilage issue but highly unlikely he tore his ACL and is back playing this quickly.

Possible he had a meniscus or cartilage issue but highly unlikely he tore his ACL and is back playing this quickly.
Yeah that’s also possible and probably more accurate. Whatever it was, it didn’t seem to effect him last night lol.

Sageder was great in this. Spallina's foot speed is always looking a little better every time I see him. As has been said many times before, it is the feeding ability that has me excited. The Fogo/ssdm Spallina has good speed as well. I feel similarly to him as I do Trujillo in the class above. Nice players who will come in used to playing ssdm, but are they big enough to cut it? Guess we will find out.

Stopped by the three way scrimmage between Mt. Sinai, Yorktown and St. Ignatius (Ohio) on Saturday. Couple of things - as for the knee brace, I was told it was some torn cartilage from football / not an ACL injury. Didn't sound too serious and the brace (more of a leg stocking) was just protective.

As a side note - Sageder was great in both games (each game was 30 minutes running time then an additional 15 for the B team). Sageder was all over the field vacuuming up ground balls. Built and plays like Brett Kennedy so very excited about that.

Mt. Sinai is a difficult team to watch - small school with a lot of D1 talent. You can tell they've been playing together awhile, but everything revolves around getting the ball to Spallina at X or out on the right side of the cage. My recollection is that Mt. Sinai scored 8 against St. Ignatius and 7 against Yorktown. Spallina probably had around 10 goals combined. Deadly shooter in space. I wasn't too impressed with the goal totals because like I said, his whole team defers to him and neither opponent tried to either shut him off or double him (I presume they were working on their own sets). But to me the most impressive part of his game is his feeding ability - should have had around 8 assists if his teammates could finish. He carries the ball with his head up the way John Zulberti used to do (and I only make that comparison because I was watching some old clips of him today). It's really an advanced skill at that age - he doesn't commit to a dodge or an action but rather waits to see what develops and how the defense reacts. There were a couple things about his game that I was less impressed with - athletically he appeared only average and I don't know if that is a residual of the knee injury. That's not to say he is slow or unathletic, but I think he's going to have a harder time at the next level creating his own shot. But like I said - he's an A+ feeder and finisher. I would also say that in that offense he doesn't move without the ball but rather waits for the offense to come to him - but I think that is largely a coaching issue. Also, his teammates (and many are very talented) all seem to like him...but there was some grumbling from the parents in the crowd which is to be expected (and kind of comical).

Hoping this doesn't come off as pessimistic - he's college ready and a Day 1 starter. Definitely needs to be coached up, but other than having a below average left hand he has all the tools to be great.

Also, forgot to mention this - that who team (including Joey) rides like you wouldn't believe. To me that always says something about their desire. Super impressive.

Stopped by the three way scrimmage between Mt. Sinai, Yorktown and St. Ignatius (Ohio) on Saturday. Couple of things - as for the knee brace, I was told it was some torn cartilage from football / not an ACL injury. Didn't sound too serious and the brace (more of a leg stocking) was just protective.

As a side note - Sageder was great in both games (each game was 30 minutes running time then an additional 15 for the B team). Sageder was all over the field vacuuming up ground balls. Built and plays like Brett Kennedy so very excited about that.

Mt. Sinai is a difficult team to watch - small school with a lot of D1 talent. You can tell they've been playing together awhile, but everything revolves around getting the ball to Spallina at X or out on the right side of the cage. My recollection is that Mt. Sinai scored 8 against St. Ignatius and 7 against Yorktown. Spallina probably had around 10 goals combined. Deadly shooter in space. I wasn't too impressed with the goal totals because like I said, his whole team defers to him and neither opponent tried to either shut him off or double him (I presume they were working on their own sets). But to me the most impressive part of his game is his feeding ability - should have had around 8 assists if his teammates could finish. He carries the ball with his head up the way John Zulberti used to do (and I only make that comparison because I was watching some old clips of him today). It's really an advanced skill at that age - he doesn't commit to a dodge or an action but rather waits to see what develops and how the defense reacts. There were a couple things about his game that I was less impressed with - athletically he appeared only average and I don't know if that is a residual of the knee injury. That's not to say he is slow or unathletic, but I think he's going to have a harder time at the next level creating his own shot. But like I said - he's an A+ feeder and finisher. I would also say that in that offense he doesn't move without the ball but rather waits for the offense to come to him - but I think that is largely a coaching issue. Also, his teammates (and many are very talented) all seem to like him...but there was some grumbling from the parents in the crowd which is to be expected (and kind of comical).

Hoping this doesn't come off as pessimistic - he's college ready and a Day 1 starter. Definitely needs to be coached up, but other than having a below average left hand he has all the tools to be great.

Also, forgot to mention this - that who team (including Joey) rides like you wouldn't believe. To me that always says something about their desire. Super impressive.
His athleticism has been criticized (or whatever word you want to use) before. It’s not a secret he’s not a pure thoroughbred of an athlete. But, in his case, with the skills and work ethic that he has, it probably doesn’t matter. He’ll be elite at the college level. It may just not come as “naturally” as it does for some others.

13 assists in a championship is all I had to know about Spallina . Thought of attack of Spallina, Hiltz and Dordevic is tantalizing but Im guessing that Tucker moves back to mid. Team is not going to be rebuilding next year, its going to be a very good team and very fun to watch.

13 assists in a championship is all I had to know about Spallina . Thought of attack of Spallina, Hiltz and Dordevic is tantalizing but Im guessing that Tucker moves back to mid. Team is not going to be rebuilding next year, its going to be a very good team and very fun to watch.

It of course depends on comings and going’s and the development of younger players but I would really like to see Dordevic stay at attack. I feel like if he continues this torrid pace, a coach would be really hard pressed to move him back, which might feel like a demotion. This is a good problem to have and many days away that it needs to be addressed.

NORTHEAST​

Joey Spallina, Mt. Sinai (N.Y.)
If we’ve learned anything about Joey Spallina over the years, it’s that the bigger the stage and the brighter the lights, the better he plays. So it should be of no surprise that in a season-opening showdown against the defending Long Island champions, Spallina shined brightest of all.

The top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2022 led Mount Sinai to a 12-4 win over Northport, scoring six goals and setting up two others a year after helping the Mustangs to the LI Class C title and leading Long Island with an obscene 122 points.

For the Syracuse signee, who put a few other likely goals off the woodwork, it wasn’t an A+ performance. And that’s downright scary for future Mt. Sinai opponents this season.

Hope I have this correct, but this is Spallina's points for the first three games of the season -

6 goals and 2 assists vs Northport
5 goals and 8 assists vs Port Jefferson
6 goals and 2 assists vs Hauppague

17 goals and 12 assists on the season so far. Averaging almost 10 points a game.

Hope I have this correct, but this is Spallina's points for the first three games of the season -

6 goals and 2 assists vs Northport
5 goals and 8 assists vs Port Jefferson
6 goals and 2 assists vs Hauppague

17 goals and 12 assists on the season so far. Averaging almost 10 points a game.
Feels like #22 type numbers:)

Unreal looking at the legacy

Gary Gait (1988-1990)
3 National Titles
4-Time All-American
192 goals, 61 assists, 253 points

Charlie Lockwood (1991-1994)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
87 goals, 55 assists, 152 points

Casey Powell (1995-1998)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
158 goals, 129 assists, 287 points

Ryan Powell (1999-2000)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
137 goals, 150 assists, 287 points

Mike Powell (2001-2004)
4-Time 1st Team All-American
2 National Titles
150 goals, 157 assists, 307 points

Dan Hardy (2006-2009)
2 National Titles
3-Time All-American
83 goals, 53 assists, 136 points

Cody Jamieson (2010)
1 National Title
36 goals, 16 assists, 53 points (2-year span)

JoJo Morasco (2011-2013)
1-Time All-American
54 goals, 87 assists, 141 points

Jordan Evans (2014-2017)
57 goals, 36 assists, 93 points

I like to pretend Chase Scanlon never wore it.

Feels like #22 type numbers:)

Unreal looking at the legacy

Gary Gait (1988-1990)
3 National Titles
4-Time All-American
192 goals, 61 assists, 253 points

Charlie Lockwood (1991-1994)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
87 goals, 55 assists, 152 points

Casey Powell (1995-1998)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
158 goals, 129 assists, 287 points

Ryan Powell (1999-2000)
4-Time All-American
1 National Title
137 goals, 150 assists, 287 points

Mike Powell (2001-2004)
4-Time 1st Team All-American
2 National Titles
150 goals, 157 assists, 307 points

Dan Hardy (2006-2009)
2 National Titles
3-Time All-American
83 goals, 53 assists, 136 points

Cody Jamieson (2010)
1 National Title
36 goals, 16 assists, 53 points (2-year span)

JoJo Morasco (2011-2013)
1-Time All-American
54 goals, 87 assists, 141 points

Jordan Evans (2014-2017)
57 goals, 36 assists, 93 points

I like to pretend Chase Scanlon never wore it.
Agree on the last!!!

Congrats, joey! Wow! 400 points— mind you, that’s with a canceled season. At least we get *some* good news tonight. Can’t get him on the hill quick enough!