New DC: Rocky Long (now official) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Rocky Long (now official)

If this was coming from syracuse beat reporters, I would agree with you, but with Rittenberg, I think there's a hitter's chance it's close to done.
Knowing what I know, I would actually argue the opposite. A national guy like Rittenberg has different sources than the locals, who likely only have sources within the program. There's a level of gamesmanship at the national level because of who the sources are.

He has been given raises, but many coaches try to have an upwardly mobile career path. If he feels he’s maxed out here he could go.

Not saying he should be promoted based on his recruiting, but who do you think on the staff is a better recruiter?

He's been here going on 8 years. If he wants to be the DC at Akron there is the door.

Monroe has done well recruiting in terms of bringing numbers and I LOVE that he recruits for us, we'd struggle without him, but on the flip side, many of his top recruits have flamed out.

Who are the best kids on the team right now - Shrader, Tucker, Gadsden, Bergeron, Cruz, Geer, Okechuckwu, Wax, Jones, SThompson, Lockette, Jahad Carter, GWilliams, Duce, Barron. How many of them were recruited by Monroe? 2 or 3 ?

Pay Rocky well to be on the headset for Nick Monroe. Let him whisper sweet nothings about attacking the A Gaps and controlling the B’s. Let Swaggy D be Swaggy D.

Give Rocky whatever title you want, doesn’t really matter, he’s not looking to elevate. Co-DC, whatever.

Swaggy’s the one we need to continue to incubate and elevate.

I refuse to call him Swag Daddy, I’ll offer up Swaggy D or D Swiggy.
This obviously needs to be run by OttoinGrotto for any serious consideration

He is 72, at this stage I think being just DC would be fine with him.
Can confirm from my SDSU friends out here that he’s not the type of guy who would care about assistant HC titles and such.

So a little insight into how the sausage gets made. Rittenberg has access to a sea of agents, Leiker doesn't - she has the Athletic Department, which she has to use carefully because Dino runs a tight ship.

That's why Rittenhouse has the report and Leiker doesn't.

Last edited:
So a little insight into the sausage gets made. Rittenhouse has access to a sea of agents, Leiker doesn't - she has the Athletic Department, which she has to use carefully because Dino runs a tight ship.

That's why Rittenhouse has the report and Leiker doesn't.
Makes sense, thanks.

Can confirm from my SDSU friends out here that he’s not the type of guy who would care about assistant HC titles and such.
yep, this SDSU dad agrees completely, Rocky has always been a guy who just wanted to coach, he hated everything else that went with being a HC which is why he stepped down at SDSU and then took the DC/LB gig at New Mexico. the dude can do whatever he wants at this point and he just wants to do some coaching

He's been here going on 8 years. If he wants to be the DC at Akron there is the door.

Monroe has done well recruiting in terms of bringing numbers and I LOVE that he recruits for us, we'd struggle without him, but on the flip side, many of his top recruits have flamed out.

Who are the best kids on the team right now - Shrader, Tucker, Gadsden, Bergeron, Cruz, Geer, Okechuckwu, Wax, Jones, SThompson, Lockette, Jahad Carter, GWilliams, Duce, Barron. How many of them were recruited by Monroe? 2 or 3 ?
We both know his target is not to be DC at Akron, but could he use that position as a stepping stone to be DC at a P5, sure.

Pay Rocky well to be on the headset for Nick Monroe. Let him whisper sweet nothings about attacking the A Gaps and controlling the B’s. Let Swaggy D be Swaggy D.

Give Rocky whatever title you want, doesn’t really matter, he’s not looking to elevate. Co-DC, whatever.

Swaggy’s the one we need to continue to incubate and elevate.

I refuse to call him Swag Daddy, I’ll offer up Swaggy D or D Swiggy.
Lol Well said.

We both know his target is not to be DC at Akron, but could he use that position as a stepping stone to be DC at a P5, sure.

no P5 would elevate him to DC.

Long over Monroe while maybe Monroe learns from Long makes sense. I don't care about Long's age per say because this is a make or break year for Dino. He has to stack bowl appreances so going with two unproven coordinators might be a little much and something Dino doesn't want to risk his job on.

42BA2AE0-51BD-41AB-A5FC-95443EEF2B25.jpeg

AJ Haulcy. A 5'-11" 220 lbs safety that put up these stats as a freshman. We need one more big time safety. Lets get Rocky and him!
View attachment 223107
Also he held a Pro Football Focus grade of 86.5, which ranked sixth nationally among all safeties regardless of classification. He had 24 tackles and one interception in New Mexico’s game against Fresno State.

He is our safeties coach. I think they have done pretty well there lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom