New DC: Rocky Long (now official) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Rocky Long (now official)

make it so.gif

He’s been our best recruiter for a long time. At some point that has to be rewarded with a raise or a promotion or a bigger job elsewhere.

Maybe he likes what he's doing, do we know? He hasn't leveraged this role for a job elsewhere.

Throw an assistant DC title and a few more bucks at him, and it might be all he wants.

SUDad made the early call on Wilson and ended up being right. So some reason for cautious optimism on this happening. I would think we would have to offer Assistant HC to bring him out this time. Would certainly be a tremendous hire AND would allow for Syracuse to become a true center of excellence for learning the 3-3-5. This is bigtime stuff. A bigtime move by the AD here and Dino if true.
This would be a terrific way to solve the DC problem.

I am worried about a scenario where Miss State hires Zach Arnett as their HC and he looks to hire Rocky as his DC.

Guessing though that Miss State is going to hire a bigger name offensive guru from the Leach coaching tree.

I think Dino asked Rocky for a recommendation the last time he needed a DC and eventually it evolved into whether Rocky would come to Syracuse. Which I believe was seriously considered.

He’s been our best recruiter for a long time. At some point that has to be rewarded with a raise or a promotion or a bigger job elsewhere.

Best recruiter is subjective but that doesn't mean you're a Defensive Coordinator. And how do you know he hasn't been given raises. He got a promotion last season to Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.

In addition that hire/name recognition could add a spark to how we close out recruiting this year and into next and dare I say keep some players from perhaps looking portal.

This would be outstanding. I would have thought it would have been a mistake just to to Monroe right now.

SUDad made the early call on Wilson and ended up being right. So some reason for cautious optimism on this happening. I would think we would have to offer Assistant HC to bring him out this time. Would certainly be a tremendous hire AND would allow for Syracuse to become a true center of excellence for learning the 3-3-5. This is bigtime stuff. A bigtime move by the AD here and Dino if true.
He is 72, at this stage I think being just DC would be fine with him.

Who says he hasn't gotten those things here?

He's the "Passing defense game cooordinator" now, and surely has gotten raises and extensions (not the hair kind) since he's been here.

Best recruiter is subjective but that doesn't mean you're a Defensive Coordinator. And how do you know he hasn't been given raises. He got a promotion last season to Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.
Plus some guys dont want the pressure of being a coordinator. Or they dont want to get up and move. Swag has young kids too right? I always see him playing with them on the field post games. Maybe he likes some stability and Dino takes care of him. And it's not a bad place to raise a family.

He is 72, at this stage I think being just DC would be fine with him.
We tried getting him before and it didn't work. By adding title you can justify a salary to it. It helps grease the skids.

He has been given raises, but many coaches try to have an upwardly mobile career path. If he feels he’s maxed out here he could go.

Not saying he should be promoted based on his recruiting, but who do you think on the staff is a better recruiter?

We tried getting him before and it didn't work. By adding title you can justify a salary to it. It helps grease the skids.
I don’t think we have to worry about justifying a salary. He is the Godfather after all and the new OC is in his first month on the job. None of the other coaches have his level of experience.

He has been given raises, but many coaches try to have an upwardly mobile career path. If he feels he’s maxed out here he could go.

Not saying he should be promoted based on his recruiting, but who do you think on the staff is a better recruiter?
and its not uncommon for a guy that has positional and unit success to take the next step. That's pretty standard in the coaching profession. I dont know if Nick wants to be the DC or not but his resume shows that he's projecting that way. Ive seen coaches that have done less get coor positions.

Last edited:
Pay Rocky well to be on the headset for Nick Monroe. Let him whisper sweet nothings about attacking the A Gaps and controlling the B’s. Let Swaggy D be Swaggy D.

Give Rocky whatever title you want, doesn’t really matter, he’s not looking to elevate. Co-DC, whatever.

Swaggy’s the one we need to continue to incubate and elevate.

I refuse to call him Swag Daddy, I’ll offer up Swaggy D or D Swiggy.

I think this will help in the locker room too. Guys liked Tony White and now they could play for the guy that taught Tony everything he knows about the scheme.

If this was coming from syracuse beat reporters, I would agree with you, but with Rittenberg, I think there's a hitter's chance it's close to done.
I asked Emily Leiker about it on twitter, so far radio silence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom