New DC: Tony White | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Tony White

If he is making the move to be closer to his mother, as he said, then you really should not have to worry about him leaving unless he gets an HC offer he wants.
I guess I don’t understand why money was the apparent hang up when Dino first reached out? Did John tell Dino that we can probably just get the other guy for less $$ before realizing that lowballing isn’t going to work? Just seems like an odd maneuver.

I guess I don’t understand why money was the apparent hang up when Dino first reached out? Did John tell Dino that we can probably just get the other guy for less $$ before realizing that lowballing isn’t going to work? Just seems like an odd maneuver.
If you read Bailey's story, White says that he was NOT offered the job previously, contrary to reports.

At that point, Tony had just gotten a great promotion to DC, with two big raises over the course of 12 months.

The timing wasn’t great. I could see a scenario where Tony just told Dino no thanks without seriously considering the offer.

I could also see John then telling Dino, as you suggest, let’s try Arnett, he will probably be cheaper anyway (a P5 DC is going to make more than a G5 DC).

I could see Tony watch as Arnett took the job, knowing it could have been him and realize further that moving to Syracuse could give him a chance to bring his mom back into his life and young family.

Maybe he did get more money than was originally offered and maybe it played a role. But I bet the additional time to think about what could be was just as important as any extra money.

At that point, Tony had just gotten a great promotion to DC, with two big raises over the course of 12 months.

The timing wasn’t great. I could see a scenario where Tony just told Dino no thanks without seriously considering the offer.

I could also see John then telling Dino, as you suggest, let’s try Arnett, he will probably be cheaper anyway (a P5 DC is going to make more than a G5 DC).

I could see Tony watch as Arnett took the job, knowing it could have been him and realize further that moving to Syracuse could give him a chance to bring his mom back into his life and young family.

Maybe he did get more money than was originally offered and maybe it played a role. But I bet the additional time to think about what could be was just as important as any extra money.
If you read Bailey's story, White says that he was NOT offered the job previously, contrary to reports.

Offers were made to Long and Arnett but not White until a few days ago.

So he was our first choice, he said no, we went to Arnett, then when he left we went back to White with an even better offer. So basically, we didn’t go to plan b or a back up. We got our #1 choice. Alls well that ends well.
??? I dont think it went this way.

headhunters don’t offer money.

“Hey syracuse is interested in you for their DC job. Are you interested?...”no not really“...”ok thanks”...fast forward a month...”interested?” “Maybe, what’s the offer?”...”we’ll offer you X for X years and the syracusfan,com message board wants a buyout”...”ok deal”

Last edited:
??? I dont think it went this way.
Thats just like your opinion man 05022020185727.jpg

What people say and what actually happens are often different things.

I am not suggesting Bailey misquoted Tony.

I am suggesting when you take a job, you probably don’t want to answer a bunch of questions about why you turned down the offer the first time if was made. A white lie keeps the focus of the stories on the hire positive, as they should be.

headhunters don’t offer money.

“Hey syracuse is interested in you for their DC job. Are you interested?...”no not really“...”ok thanks”...fast forward a month...”interested?” “Maybe, what’s the offer?”...”we’ll offer you X for X years and the syracusfan,com message board wants a buyout”...”ok deal”
Where did you hear there were headhunters doing the search? Did you make that up yourself?

I am suggesting when you take a job, you probably don’t want to answer a bunch of questions about why you turned down the offer the first time if was made. A white lie keeps the focus of the stories on the hire positive, as they should be.
Or maybe he was telling it like it is.

Bailey’s podcast is really good. I like White a lot. He told Bailey he was never offered the job the first time around, and that he was essentially the 3rd choice behind Long and Arnett.

But he emphasized how aggressive Dino was in getting a 3-3-5 defense.

He didn’t. Just listen to the podcast.

As you implied, however, there may be more to the story.
It’s likely that Dino talked to him previously, either to get some recommendations from Tony, query any interest that Tony might have in the SU position, or an actual offer.

I would recommend that everyone listen to the interview.
No idea how heated he might get on the field or during games, but he’s very fan & media friendly without a Leach-esque outward appearance.

Moontan approves of this hire.

Bailey’s podcast is really good. I like White a lot. He told Bailey he was never offered the job the first time around, and that he was essentially the 3rd choice behind Long and Arnett.

But he emphasized how aggressive Dino was in getting a 3-3-5 defense.

What is Baileys podcast called?

The one thing I took away from this podcast is that Tony White wants to be a part of the Syracuse program. Not one mention here of being close to family.
He stated that he had a great opportunity with ASU, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to be with coach Babers, and he really feels Syracuse has a chance.

Glad to hear from White himself to get his take

I think Steven does a great job in that podcast/interview...I haven’t listened to his other ones yet, but will certainly do so.

Does anyone else have a podcast that they will have him on?

If so, can we ask some deeper questions regarding positions, ie defensive ends long and lengthy athletic (6’5 240) or big & strong (6’4 275), linebackers be more smaller and athletic to cover or more downhill tacklers who don’t have to cover much in man, secondary - corners bump and run or off coverage, safeties cover or hard hitting tacklers and then who is the ideal hybrid position player and how will you identify him.

Just would love to hear him talk about positional recruiting and identifying who is perfect.

And with the podcast - we don’t have 4 dline that are great so we better stick with the 335. Hopefully our LB group grows up and steps up.

Do you think he would ever run a 326?? Secondary seems to be our deepest. Trill and Cisco could be the versatile players that are “hybrid”

A White lie Tom? Oh boy...now we have a catch phrase for when the D plays poorly and White gives us an explanation on why.

He didn’t. Just listen to the podcast.

As you implied, however, there may be more to the story.
It’s likely that Dino talked to him previously, either to get some recommendations from Tony, query any interest that Tony might have in the SU position, or an actual offer.

I would recommend that everyone listen to the interview.
No idea how heated he might get on the field or during games, but he’s very fan & media friendly without a Leach-esque outward appearance.

Moontan approves of this hire.
I listened. Agree with you. I think it was McAllister who reported the first choice story. Sounds like his sources were wrong on this.

Really big fan of White. Great speaker, very interesting and smart. I think the kids will love working under him. Hoping Dino makes him available for interviews more than he has done with other coordinators in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom