New DC: Tony White | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Tony White

Yeah, we're not looking at Clemson or any other program that regularly turns in top 3 recruiting classes as a model for what's possible.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not? They're certainly great at what they do because of the talent, but regardless of Clemson's talent level, they're running a lot of 335 for a reason. They bounce in an out of a 5-2, 3-3-5, 4-2-5 with different looks and blitz from all over, that's what we want. Different looks without subbing a lot, aggressive get after it. Not sit back and react.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

White said he was the third option. He said that when Babers started asking about Arnett, he couldn't help thinking about how cool it would be if he (White) got the opportunity to be DC at Cuse. Then things fell through with Arnett, and he got the call and offer from Babers a couple days before his interview with Bailey.

Again, White made it painfully plain he was never the first option, but he was cool with it and very happy to get the offer anyway from Syracuse

Marvin was always a part of the program. Herm and Marvin have a close relationship and he was brought in as a special advisor to mentor Tony even before he was given the DC promotion. My take is while Herm gave Tony the keys, he was always on a short leash and had Marvin in his ear. Coming to Syracuse allows Tony the freedom to run the defense on his terms and his way.

That was my guess to. Things go south early, there's always a back up plan.

I never took Dino’s comment to imply that he wanted White previously as DC. I took it that he tried to hire him sometime in the past - maybe even years ago as an assistant.

I thought it was interesting that Dino went to visit Rocky after the 2016 season and talk to him/White about the 3-3-5 then. Clearly been thinking about this defense for a while

Last edited:
With West being announced as the new CB coach, it seems White will either be the LB coach (the position he played in college) or they move Stanard back to LB and don't assign White a position this year, allowing him to go from position to position to tutor the whole defense on the intricacies of the 3-3-5. I think I prefer choice B, particularly as no one on the staff has 3-3-5 experience, as far as I know.

Question for any of the coaches on the board, how hard is it to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-3-5? Is there a large learning curve for the coaches and players or is it a pretty basic change in sets and philosophy?

I ask because I do not believe any of our defensive coaches have much experience running a 3-3-5 and ive read that the assignments and schemes can be quite a bit different, especially for the position coaches.

I was also curious as to how long might it take for the players to adequately learn the system and assignments? Babers said his offense usually takes a year or two to master. While that is on the other side of the ball, I still expect a learning curve to exist to some extent on the Defensive side as well?

I like that we start off the season with some very winnable games on the road but I would hate to lay an egg, especially with who we start with this year, due to missed assignments and/or blown overages because we are still getting up to speed on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not? They're certainly great at what they do because of the talent, but regardless of Clemson's talent level, they're running a lot of 335 for a reason. They bounce in an out of a 5-2, 3-3-5, 4-2-5 with different looks and blitz from all over, that's what we want. Different looks without subbing a lot, aggressive get after it. Not sit back and react.
Well, the talent allows them to do a lot of switching and have different looks without subbing a lot.

We're agreed that being aggressive is good for our defense. I don't agree that Clemson is the model to look to, because they're doing what they do at a talent level way beyond ours.

Bailey’s podcast is really good. I like White a lot. He told Bailey he was never offered the job the first time around, and that he was essentially the 3rd choice behind Long and Arnett.

But he emphasized how aggressive Dino was in getting a 3-3-5 defense.

Very impressive interview. Really like this guy.

Just take one off of the first number and add 5 to the end. Seems simple enough. And you get to play with 4 extra guys.

It's short hand for what the sets are known by, coach speak. That's who I was targeting for the answers to my questions. Pretty basic stuff for any of us who've played organized football, but I'll try and be more descriptive next time

What people say and what actually happens are often different things.

I am not suggesting Bailey misquoted Tony.

I am suggesting when you take a job, you probably don’t want to answer a bunch of questions about why you turned down the offer the first time if was made. A white lie keeps the focus of the stories on the hire positive, as they should be.

Gosh, he seemed pretty emphatic that he was not offered the job before Arnett was offered. And, he seemed quite certian that Rocky Long was offered the job and turned it down.

He seemed very impressed by Barbers’ commitment to the 3-3-5. That left a real impression on him.

Whatever happened, I’m really pleased with the result.

And I’m glad that he made room for system adjustments based upon the talent pool.

I sadly agree. It is a shame because these guys are great communicators and could do a nice job generating interest and enthusiasm in the program.

I will still hope for change here, even if it is very minor.
The OC and DC should absolutely be able to conduct interviews. Coach Martin too.

It's short hand for what the sets are known by, coach speak. That's who I was targeting for the answers to my questions. Pretty basic stuff for any of us who've played organized football, but I'll try and be more descriptive next time
It’s probably the big words that threw me off. I’ll make sure to have someone read your posts to me next time.

I sadly agree. It is a shame because these guys are great communicators and could do a nice job generating interest and enthusiasm in the program.

I will still hope for change here, even if it is very minor.

Pasqualoni allowed DeLeone and others to meet with the press - pre-game and post-game - and it was informative and interesting

Just take one off of the first number and add 5 to the end. Seems simple enough. And you get to play with 4 extra guys.
37A65EF7-AC30-46FA-8664-012A7B18A635.png

Well, the talent allows them to do a lot of switching and have different looks without subbing a lot.

We're agreed that being aggressive is good for our defense. I don't agree that Clemson is the model to look to, because they're doing what they do at a talent level way beyond ours.

White himself stated the flexibility and being able to switch to different looks without subbing in an interview. I’ll have to find it (and if he didn’t say it) then someone who runs the 3-3-5 did because that’s the defense. I mentioned Clemson because it’s what they also do and it’s a team we’re familiar with.

if you want to argue that we’ll never run it as well as them I’ll agree. We won’t. I’m hoping in a couple of years we can run it as good aS SDU did.

I've been wanting to ask my neighbor, who lives and breathes ASU football, about White, but since I got back from LA yesterday, he is home sick so staying away...

I think Coach White may end up the much better hire when all is said and done. He has lots of experience with the 3-3-5. His biggest asset may be that he has experience installing the 3-3-5 to players and coaches that have never been exposed to it. I also liked in the Stephen Bailey interview how he continually stressed that this defense and the variations that go along with it are personnel based. In other words, not trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Also mentioned that in this defense you have the top eleven defenders on the field at any given time. Coach White sounded excited to be coming to Syracuse University and I am just as excited to have him come. Let's all hope he can get this defense going and Coach Gilbert can get the offense going and we can make some runs at ACC Championships and beyond. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Question for any of the coaches on the board, how hard is it to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-3-5? Is there a large learning curve for the coaches and players or is it a pretty basic change in sets and philosophy?

I ask because I do not believe any of our defensive coaches have much experience running a 3-3-5 and ive read that the assignments and schemes can be quite a bit different, especially for the position coaches.

I was also curious as to how long might it take for the players to adequately learn the system and assignments? Babers said his offense usually takes a year or two to master. While that is on the other side of the ball, I still expect a learning curve to exist to some extent on the Defensive side as well?

I like that we start off the season with some very winnable games on the road but I would hate to lay an egg, especially with who we start with this year, due to missed assignments and/or blown overages because we are still getting up to speed on the defensive side of the ball.
Not a coach but it seems like a tough transition to me. I think it will be easier in the secondary coming from a base nickel system. Very different in the box because of the stack alignment and run fits with three linemen. I think it will be a big adjustment and don't expect the first year to go smoothly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom