New DC: Tony White | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Tony White

He didn’t. Just listen to the podcast.

As you implied, however, there may be more to the story.
It’s likely that Dino talked to him previously, either to get some recommendations from Tony, query any interest that Tony might have in the SU position, or an actual offer.

I would recommend that everyone listen to the interview.
No idea how heated he might get on the field or during games, but he’s very fan & media friendly without a Leach-esque outward appearance.

Moontan approves of this hire.
That sounds most plausible. Dino probably had a discussion with him to guage any interest. Given that he just got promoted to DC at Arizona St, he probably didn't seriously consider it at first. Time has a way of changing one's mind. Purely conjecture but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bailey’s podcast is really good. I like White a lot. He told Bailey he was never offered the job the first time around, and that he was essentially the 3rd choice behind Long and Arnett.

But he emphasized how aggressive Dino was in getting a 3-3-5 defense.
Maybe Dino didn’t think he had the $$$ to grab the preferred candidate from a P5 school and consulted with Rocky to see if Arnett would be “just as good” for <$$$.

Then when it was clear that ADJW matched the 900k offer that Dino did in fact have enough $$$ to go after his top choice.

Totally rose colored glasses, but either way I am happy with who we got.

White was the third choice. I think Dino lucked out. Third times a charm!

I listened. Agree with you. I think it was McAllister who reported the first choice story. Sounds like his sources were wrong on this.

Really big fan of White. Great speaker, very interesting and smart. I think the kids will love working under him. Hoping Dino makes him available for interviews more than he has done with other coordinators in the past.
I doubt interviews with coaches or players will be more than previous years. I think Babers prefers to have the message flow through him and the university.

I doubt interviews with coaches or players will be more than previous years. I think Babers prefers to have the message flow through him and the university.
I sadly agree. It is a shame because these guys are great communicators and could do a nice job generating interest and enthusiasm in the program.

I will still hope for change here, even if it is very minor.

I'm less concerned about where CW was in the pecking order and just glad we landed where we did with him. Looking forward now to Spring practice, Spring game and seeing who will be our first recruit in the new class.

I listened. Agree with you. I think it was McAllister who reported the first choice story. Sounds like his sources were wrong on this.

Really big fan of White. Great speaker, very interesting and smart. I think the kids will love working under him. Hoping Dino makes him available for interviews more than he has done with other coordinators in the past.
I think someone here also said McCallister also reported that Arnett never singed. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if so, he’s really screwed the pooch a couple of times.

it’s pretty clear how this works.
1) sign offer sheet
2) clear background checks
3) sign contract

Arnett left in between 1&3.
White is waiting on 2 and has no intent on reneging.

Arnett on the other hand...

I'm less concerned about where CW was in the pecking order and just glad we landed where we did with him. Looking forward now to Spring practice, Spring game and seeing who will be our first recruit in the new class.
I don’t think White cares either...

Hi all. I'm new here with some inside info on the topic.

- Family was a factor but not the factor why he left ASU. Mother lives in Queens.

- Money also a factor as he got a big bump to make the move.

- And also a factor in White's decision was Herm Edwards' sentiments on the defensive scheme. He did so this year some and in the bowl game ASU ran a scheme that was stripped down and more four-down stuff and Edwards liked it. Marvin Lewis was very involved as well. White pretty much only knows the 3-3-5, it's been his whole coaching life and he and Gonzales have said in the past you have to run it fully and commit to it. Can't really run part of it.

- Family was a factor but not the factor why he left ASU. Mother lives in Queens.

- And also a factor in White's decision was Herm Edwards' sentiments on the defensive scheme. He did so this year some and in the bowl game ASU ran a scheme that was stripped down and more four-down stuff and Edwards liked it. Marvin Lewis was very involved as well. White pretty much only knows the 3-3-5, it's been his whole coaching life and he and Gonzales have said in the past you have to run it fully and commit to it. Can't really run part of it.
Cool, we like inside info. Grab a seat, stay awhile.

I guess I don’t understand why money was the apparent hang up when Dino first reached out? Did John tell Dino that we can probably just get the other guy for less $$ before realizing that lowballing isn’t going to work? Just seems like an odd maneuver.
I swear, some of you folks love to speculate just so you can criticize the program based on your speculation. It's like posting a rumor on social media and then, when someone reposts it, reporting that multiple sources are reporting...
Sometimes (most times) it's better to sit back and wait for the real story to surface.

I swear, some of you folks love to speculate just so you can criticize the program based on your speculation. It's like posting a rumor on social media and then, when someone reposts it, reporting that multiple sources are reporting...
Sometimes (most times) it's better to sit back and wait for the real story to surface.
In this case I doubt the real story will ever surface which is why we have the speculation. Relax it’s a sports forum and it’s offseason. We need something to talk about besides box girders.

you have to run it fully and commit to it. Can't really run part of it.

Except a lot of schools run part of it. From my view it's a defense that can be very flexible, like Clemson does. A base 3-3-5 where you can creep 1 or 2 OLBs up to a 4-3 or 5-2 and bring a bigger safety into the box. People get to hung up on some of this stuff. White even said you can bend based on your personnel whether you're heavy on the DL or deep at LB.

Heard something along these lines. It is interesting that he chose White as DC over Marvin Lewis. Sounds that when Marvin Lewis came aboard, Herm had mixed emotions about his new 3-3-5 and his old NFL Defensive background.

I sadly agree. It is a shame because these guys are great communicators and could do a nice job generating interest and enthusiasm in the program.

I will still hope for change here, even if it is very minor.
I know it’s not the same, but coordinators do regularly receive interviews on local espn radio (brent, seth etc.) during the season and sometimes in summer workouts.

Heard something along these lines. It is interesting that he chose White as DC over Marvin Lewis. Sounds that when Marvin Lewis came aboard, Herm had mixed emotions about his new 3-3-5 and his old NFL Defensive background.

Marvin was always a part of the program. Herm and Marvin have a close relationship and he was brought in as a special advisor to mentor Tony even before he was given the DC promotion. My take is while Herm gave Tony the keys, he was always on a short leash and had Marvin in his ear. Coming to Syracuse allows Tony the freedom to run the defense on his terms and his way.

Herm already announced that the 3-3-5 is being decommissioned. I read a story that indicated Antonio Pierce was not comfortable with it.

Bite your tongue, be thankful we have box girders to talk about.

What other school has box girders and cranes.

Yep...nobody!

Hey, you forgot to mention all zone & nothing but the zone so help me god, in regards to 'what other school.'

"Yep...nobody!" ;):)

Except a lot of schools run part of it. From my view it's a defense that can be very flexible, like Clemson does. A base 3-3-5 where you can creep 1 or 2 OLBs up to a 4-3 or 5-2 and bring a bigger safety into the box. People get to hung up on some of this stuff. White even said you can bend based on your personnel whether you're heavy on the DL or deep at LB.
Yeah, we're not looking at Clemson or any other program that regularly turns in top 3 recruiting classes as a model for what's possible.

I would take White at his word that he wasn't offered until now. it makes sense as Babers has clearly targeted the 3-3-5 and Long is the guru. Once he couldn't get Long, it made sense to go after his DC (though it sounds like Long called the defense), esp. with SDSU defense being so good in the last few years. Once that ultimately didn't come to fruition, White made sense, as he coached under Long for, dare I say, a Long time and was Long's initial choice for DC before following Gonzales to ASU. White also makes sense, as he helped implement the Defense at a different program w/o Long (unlike Arnett). His recruiting prowess is a bonus.

A few things I find interesting, some noted by others.
1. White being very outspoken, even to our media, about the process. Based on Babers philosophy of everything coming from him, it might be the last we hear from him. Or maybe this indicates that this guy has a little more leeway in terms of this (not holding my breath).
2. A good QB just transferred from ASU to Pitt (Yellen). Bet White knows him fairly well. interesting to see how that translates.
3. Interesting that he states that Arnett was picking his brain at how to implement the 3-3-5 in a new place and not the other way around (though it's coming from his perspective). hope that says something about how well he's respected.
4. Herm promoted him instead of Marvin Lewis, a guy with a ton of experience and accolades as a DC. That says a lot. As I mentioned before, seems like Herm had mixed emotions about his new 3-3-5 and his old NFL Defensive background.
5. Very interesting that Dino visited them in 2016 after his 1st season here and already appeared fascinated about this defense. Seems like he's had this in the back of his mind practically since he got here.

Maybe Dino didn’t think he had the $$$ to grab the preferred candidate from a P5 school and consulted with Rocky to see if Arnett would be “just as good” for <$$$.

Then when it was clear that ADJW matched the 900k offer that Dino did in fact have enough $$$ to go after his top choice.

Totally rose colored glasses, but either way I am happy with who we got.

Marvin was always a part of the program. Herm and Marvin have a close relationship and he was brought in as a special advisor to mentor Tony even before he was given the DC promotion. My take is while Herm gave Tony the keys, he was always on a short leash and had Marvin in his ear. Coming to Syracuse allows Tony the freedom to run the defense on his terms and his way.
Believe Marvin just came aboard a year ago, as he was coaching the Bengals until then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom