New locker room? Player dorms? | Syracusefan.com

New locker room? Player dorms?

Cuse4

Scout Team
This comes up every now and then, but just curious if there has been any serious talk about a new locker room? I mean the dome can sell itself even though it isn't really "modern", and obviously the Melo Center has been a great boost, but that locker room, yikes. Has to be one of the worst in the country for a top tier team, along with UCONN.

Also, I assume most of the players are still living in the dorms on South? I kind of remember a year or two back a few of the older guys made their way into UV. If we are not in there now, why not? They are ridiculously nice as opposed to the regular two tiered dorms, which are getting extremely dated. It's not like there are 75 guys we would have to provide for.

These little things can go a long way...

Players still live in the South apartments, which are a good deal nicer than what I'm guessing most players at other schools live in. UV is independently owned, so anyone living there is paying their own way to do so. Can't set players up there through the University.

I always loved the lockeroom in the postgame shoots. It brings back memories...
from The orange backround to the ice baths. Its like home watching it on all access.

No money

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No money

lol! I don't care about the lockers room. The players aren't even there very much (compared to the Melo center) but money can't be the issue! It just can't be.

Players still live in the South apartments, which are a good deal nicer than what I'm guessing most players at other schools live in. UV is independently owned, so anyone living there is paying their own way to do so. Can't set players up there through the University.
I really can't imagine that many top teams have worse housing than us.

I really can't imagine that many top teams have worse housing than us.

Why do you think that? Most teams put their teams up in dorms as far as I can tell. Our players get apartments right near the practice facilities from the get go.

Why do you think that? Most teams put their teams up in dorms as far as I can tell. Our players get apartments right near the practice facilities from the get go.

One person's definition of "dorm" may not be the same as another's. Are the South Apartments what used to be called the Skytop Apartments?

lol! I don't care about the lockers room. The players aren't even there very much (compared to the Melo center) but money can't be the issue! It just can't be.
Want to bet?

One person's definition of "dorm" may not be the same as another's. Are the South Apartments what used to be called the Skytop Apartments?
No. South campus apartments are like attached low-rise condos. My niece lived in one in the 1990's. It was kind of nice. The old Skytop Apartments were married student housing and very very dated.

No I wouldn't believe even if were true

Well its true. Where do you think the money comes from?

I lived in the South Apartment on Small Rd right next to GMAC and Gorman who were roommates. They loved their apartment, and the South campus living is really good for the athletes. My buddies were next door neighbors of Perry Patterson and Damien Rhodes and stated those 2 really loved their place. We don't need new dorms for the athletes. The ACC money we get starting next year is that for the AD office only or will it go into the SU general fund?

I lived in the South Apartment on Small Rd right next to GMAC and Gorman who were roommates. They loved their apartment, and the South campus living is really good for the athletes. My buddies were next door neighbors of Perry Patterson and Damien Rhodes and stated those 2 really loved their place. We don't need new dorms for the athletes. The ACC money we get starting next year is that for the AD office only or it will go into the SU general fund?
I've been in them a number of times as well... They just seem so, so dated. The old, hard, puke colored carpeting etc... Maybe my opinion is somewhat swayed after watching the video on UK's bball lodge, but there is no way most other top programs aren't in better digs. Even if say 10 apartments were re-done for bball... that has to be reasonable enough for a top 10 year in, year out bball team.

money-tree.jpg

I've been in them a number of times as well... They just seem so, so dated. The old, hard, puke colored carpeting etc... Maybe my opinion is somewhat swayed after watching the video on UK's bball lodge, but there is no way most other top programs aren't in better digs. Even if say 10 apartments were re-done for bball... that has to be reasonable enough for a top 10 year in, year out bball team.

It would be illegal to upgrade specific apartments for athletes. They have been renovating a number of them though. I lived on Lambreth sophomore year and winding ridge junior year, they're really solid set ups for "on campus" living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locker rooms aren't that expensive we are talks a 1/4 of JB annual salary. It's largely FFE

Locker rooms aren't that expensive we are talks a 1/4 of JB annual salary. It's largely FFE

There's only so much that can be done without getting into big expenditures on structural renovations. The set-up beneath the west end of the Dome is very constrained; FFE upgrades would be lipstick on a pig.

There's only so much that can be done without getting into big expenditures on structural renovations. The set-up beneath the west end of the Dome is very constrained; FFE upgrades would be lipstick on a pig.

Structural renovations are a non-starter but there are a ton of things you can do without touching the structure, sheet rock, paint and lighting won't cost as much as a good FFE package. Trust me you can make a space look completely different and never touch the structure.

Players can't go off campus at Syracuse and have the university pay for it?

I know other schools allow this...but college kids usually aren't too worried about dorms. The dorms on south are plenty good enough, but I just wouldn't want to live there based on distance...

Locker Rooms should be updated though.

Structural renovations are a non-starter but there are a ton of things you can do without touching the structure, sheet rock, paint and lighting won't cost as much as a good FFE package. Trust me you can make a space look completely different and never touch the structure.

You can certainly make the space look different. But they are really limited by the structure itself. Low ceilings, not too much depth to the west wall of the building, and pretty narrow spaces (they combine storage and all the teams' locker rooms - including space for Otto and the cheerleaders - into the width of the field in that end).

No doubt they could spruce things up. But I'm not sure the end result would be worth the investment.

You can certainly make the space look different. But they are really limited by the structure itself. Low ceilings, not too much depth to the west wall of the building, and pretty narrow spaces (they combine storage and all the teams' locker rooms - including space for Otto and the cheerleaders - into the width of the field in that end).

No doubt they could spruce things up. But I'm not sure the end result would be worth the investment.

It's not big on my list I'm just not interested in the argument that "there is no money for it"

It's not big on my list I'm just not interested in the argument that "there is no money for it"

I speak with zero insider knowledge on this subject, but it's possible that "there's no money for it" = "there are higher priorities that need to be funded" + "we're not going to spend a little money on Dome renovations today when we know we'll need to spend a lot of money on a more substantial reconstruction in a decade."

SU could solicit donors right now and spend $500,000 to renovate the existing space in the west end zone, but that'd seem like money wasted when they punch out the wall and build an addition with new locker rooms and expanded press working space in a few years (or, to hear some tell it, build a whole new stadium elsewhere).

But you're right; the locker rooms are below average for a top-level D-I program. They'll be improved at some point.

You have a $100 budget. The locker room will only cost $10. But you have a $60 and $40 project that are far more important. No locker room upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom