New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

fix the oline and you fix these issues

Too simplistic of an explanation. Can’t blame everything on our OL, I know that’s your “thing” but it doesn’t explain 3 years out of 4. And if it does that’s a bigger statement against the staff than it is the players.

Here is my thought on the lack of announcement from SU. Gilbert was only suppose to resign from McNeese yesterday. There is supposedly a 100K buyout. The story may have leaked before any buyout was paid off and contract with SU signed.
Ty

Tough to gauge given he was there for only one season and he had a 4 star, true freshman qb as a starter. It’s hard to differentiate whether Buechele was good because of the skills and talent he came in with or whether it was developed by Gilbert. I will say the offense overall seemed to get worse over the course of the one season.,, the wvu game I went to was in early November and while they moved the ball against the mountaineer ls they never got any real momentum going and only ended up scoring 20.

To defend Gilbert a bit, it was year one of a total rebuild and we saw how our offense performed in year one of Babers.

Like I said earlier, I love the aggressiveness in the hire. Definitely a big boy move... I’m still not sold on the babers system as I don’t think we’ve ever really seen it work because of our oline issues. Hiring Gilbert seems to be doubling down on the Babers system as opposed to thinking out of the box. I also question how Gilbert will recruit in the NE being a Texas guy and how long he will stick around given his history.

I personally would prefer an offense that’s more vertical, uses the middle of the field and includes a screen pass and a slant every once in a while or something to slow down the rush.
I'm with you...especially your last two paragraphs. IMHO, the most effective part of HCDB's current offense is the accelerated tempo.

When the sticks don't move it not only effects the offensive rhythm but it is a DC's worst night mare. At the pace SU runs plays, three and outs are defense killers.

Hopefully Dino and Gilbert can evolve the Baylor Base offense into something that works against ACC defenses.

And according to this he didn't officially resign until this morning.

Even when leaks occur, professionalism must be observed. Syracuse cannot make official until he resigned. Other what I would guess mechanics need to be finalized before the public statement comes from Syracuse. With a leak I could see someone saying (Wildhack?) everything by the book to close this out.

Too simplistic of an explanation. Can’t blame everything on our OL, I know that’s your “thing” but it doesn’t explain 3 years out of 4. And if it does that’s a bigger statement against the staff than it is the players.
if you cant run inside the 10 or run on 3/4th and 1 thats on the oline. its all man o man in those spots. its why we ran funcky TE throws to try to create some scores in deep.

DD1AA2A3-3AB1-43E5-A933-575C771DF214.gif

if you cant run inside the 10 or run on 3/4th and 1 thats on the oline. its all man o man in those spots. its why we ran funcky TE throws to try to create some scores in deep.

So you’re saying the staff has done a terrible job the last 3/4 years?

if you think not being able to run for a yd is a coaching vs player thing.. I think its a player thing since there isnt as much room for tech that coached. Better QB/Center transition helps and we dont probably run those sneaks in practice as much since we run from the shotgun

to me its like FTs there is only so much coaching can do if a kid cant make them.

if you think not being able to run for a yd is a coaching vs player thing.. I think its a player thing since there isnt as much room for tech that coached. Better QB/Center transition helps and we dont probably run those sneaks in practice as much since we run from the shotgun

to me its like FTs there is only so much coaching can do if a kid cant make them.

Red zone plays are rarely just from the 1 yard line. I also mentioned 3rd down conversions in general, we’ve been very poor in that area 3/4 seasons. Can’t just be the OL but you’ve basically brushed off all troubles as being OL only this year. So if that’s the case, than you’re saying the coaching staff is the issue because these areas have been issues since day 1.

Keep in mind. All of this is rhetorical because I know that you blaming all issues on the OL is your way of not having to critique the QB play in any way.

Red zone plays are rarely just from the 1 yard line. I also mentioned 3rd down conversions in general, we’ve been very poor in that area 3/4 seasons. Can’t just be the OL but you’ve basically brushed off all troubles as being OL only this year. So if that’s the case, than you’re saying the coaching staff is the issue because these areas have been issues since day 1.

Keep in mind. All of this is rhetorical because I know that you blaming all issues on the OL is your way of not having to critique the QB play in any way.
Speaking of qb play... no one has been able to yet explain to me whether our inability to target the middle of the field is due to the qb or the coaching strategy? With Dungey I thought it was the qb missing plays, but now I’m wondering if the Babers offense just doesn’t like slant passes or the middle the field.

Speaking of qb play... no one has been able to yet explain to me whether our inability to target the middle of the field is due to the qb or the coaching strategy? With Dungey I thought it was the qb missing plays, but now I’m wondering if the Babers offense just doesn’t like slant passes or the middle the field.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but in the DB system, they don’t actively like to target the middle of the field. The importance of the running game is to draw defenders down towards the line, thus opening up the deep/down the field passes. So you stretch the field by running up the middle and throwing to the sidelines.

When you have a history of struggling to run short yardage plays that to me is an oline issue. In my discussions with coaches thats pretty much the same feeling. there is a reason that teams like Ala/clem do better and thats because they have better talent. there are only so many schemes you can use in tight spaces.

we run the plays based more on the D then people realize. I wish they used the middle more, but the plays we design really dont just say this play goes to the middle.

I dont mind critiquing qb play, but i think many of the mistakes people see as QB mistakes are really functions of other parts of the play. QBs make mistakes too, bad reads, bad throws

would love if the coaches had some fan interaction to have these types of discussions.. When i watch the games and the limited all 22 views, i really wonder about some of the route fits we use. But its hard to know sometimes whether its by design or by mis reads by the WR. I see plays that if the WR ran the route differently it would break wide open or force safety/db coverages to change, but again sometimes thats by design as well since the 2/3 option is also setting up other plays.

its one reason watching the NC game is fun because you can actually see a whole game on the all 22 and really see the plays develop. and thats why the view from the upperdeck is the best in the Dome.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but in the DB system, they don’t actively like to target the middle of the field. The importance of the running game is to draw defenders down towards the line, thus opening up the deep/down the field passes. So you stretch the field by running up the middle and throwing to the sidelines.
That’s my understanding. So it comes down to throw wide or deep and run middle. The numbers of where the defenders line up should tell you the play.

For example, if we put 2 wr wide to each side and have at least 1 of them run deep, you force the defense to put 2 defenders wide (or give up 5 “free” yards from a screen) and also force the Dee to put 1-2 safetys deep for help with the vertical routes.

If the defense properly defends the pass with 2 defenders wide to each side, plus 1-2 safeties back for deep help, then there is only 5-6 defenders left to play the box/run. So when this happens, middle running plays (QB or RB) should be open. If the defense decides to put 7 or more in the box to help with the run then either a screen, or a vertical route should be open.

The problem we have had is that when opposing Defenses are defending the pass with 5-6 defenders wide and deep and only putting 5-6 in the box and we are not able to run on that even though WE ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BE ABLE TO RUN AGAINST 5-6 MAN BOXES.

Some of the most iconic passing TD in this system are slot WRs running by S and LBs over the middle of the field (Erv vs Clemson, N.Johnson vs UNC)

TEs have caught a bunch of TDs there too

I think generally, the offense wants to get LBs and S thinking wide to open up those big plays running and passing... but to do that you have to be consistent to your WR1 and WR2 out towards the boundry. So numbers get skewed

would love if the coaches had some fan interaction to have these types of discussions.. When i watch the games and the limited all 22 views, i really wonder about some of the route fits we use. But its hard to know sometimes whether its by design or by mis reads by the WR. I see plays that if the WR ran the route differently it would break wide open or force safety/db coverages to change, but again sometimes thats by design as well since the 2/3 option is also setting up other plays.

its one reason watching the NC game is fun because you can actually see a whole game on the all 22 and really see the plays develop. and thats why the view from the upperdeck is the best in the Dome.

That’s never going to happen but it would be great to be able to pick their brain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom